Barrelback in san antonio

A forum for contacting other builders of Ken Hankinson designs. These designs are now a part of the Glen-L family.

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, billy c

Joerpilot

Barrelback in san antonio

Post by Joerpilot »

How do i attach. The keel to the frames? My materials list says two screws for keel and frame but wont this interfer with fairing?

mrintense

Re: Barrelback in san antonio

Post by mrintense »

Joerpilot wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 2:44 pm
How do i attach. The keel to the frames? My materials list says two screws for keel and frame but wont this interfer with fairing?
The screws will likely need to be set in a counter bore a bit below the level of the surface. You don't want to go too deep. When I prepared to install mine, I spent time trying to visualize the final fairing angles to see where they would cut through the frames.
Carl

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper Boating

Joerpilot

Post by Joerpilot »

Thanks Carl.

Aussie

Post by Aussie »

Hi,

When I done my keel I screwed the first layer and epoxy, second layer I only epoxied on, faired the keel and then installed the screws for the second layer and counter sunk them enough to fill with thickened epoxy.

Jamie

Joerpilot

Post by Joerpilot »

Thanks Jaimie

Hercdrvr

Post by Hercdrvr »

If you really feel the need for fasteners on the 2nd layer, countersink them down the center line so you don’t hit them while fairing the keel.
Matt B

Joerpilot

Post by Joerpilot »

Unfortunately, i got ahead of myself and laminated the keel plys, so i guess i’ll have to counter sink the screws and plug them. After the epoxy holding the keel to each frame cures, I can remove the screws for fairing and replace afterwards. I suppose i could make a new keel and cut this one up for battens. Anyone have any suggestions? My motto is “its only a mistake if you can’t make another part”

TomB

Post by TomB »

My two cents. I would use screws on frames 1, 2, and maybe 3 where the bottom is relatively flat and easy to guess the depth of fairing. Forward just clap keel to frames until the epoxy cures then fair and add the screws. I fill the countersinks with thickened epoxy rather than plugs when it was going to be covered with plywood.

Tom
In the home stretch on a Tahoe 23

Joerpilot

Post by Joerpilot »

I think i’ll take your suggestion Tom. I’m pretty sure i’m way in over my head on this project. But
I’m learning.

Thanks.

Hercdrvr

Post by Hercdrvr »

You’re doing great Joe, if you can build an RV airplane you can build a Barrelback.
Matt B
McKinney TX

Joerpilot

Post by Joerpilot »

Thanks Matt.

mickfly

Post by mickfly »

I'll chime in briefly. I put my screws close to the center-line, where applicable, and counter sunk them. However, there were a few that I guessed wrong on. For these, I just backed them out, increased the counter sink, and reinserted the screw. This speaks to the importance of not stripping out the frearson head when installing screws.

Most recently, I've been using wax on the screws. Prior to that, I hand screwed any screw that I could not get an easy, straight line with my driver (I hand drove a lot of screws). I just noticed that Classic Boat Connection sells silicone bronze screws with a square drive. I'm close to finished with screws...the square drive screws would have likely saved me time and frustration.

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

Joe, no sweat on worrying about the build. We all had concerns about this when starting. After awhile everything becomes second nature and you just go through whatever steps are necessary to complete the next part of the project. These days, I don't even worry about building the boat, just concern myself with proper coordination of the various facets so that I don't get held up waiting for something. But I certainly worried a lot about it in the beginning. "Can I really do this?" "Did I make a mistake in taking on something of this magnitude?". You know, those and similar concerns.
Carl

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper Boating

Joerpilot

Post by Joerpilot »

Just picked up 25 sheets of Okoume. Thats all they had. $56.65 per sheet. I hope its enough. Hate the idea of paying freight for a couple more sheets. I managed to find it at Fine lumber in Austin so it only cost a couple gallons of diesel to go pick it up.

I have some fairing to do and build the aft part of the transom.

Question #1. Where do people start applying the first layer of plywood?
Question #2. Can someone give me guidence on where the drain holes go? (Photos would be great.

neel thompson

Post by neel thompson »

I start the strips of plywood about halfway between bow and stern at about a 30 degree angle. I work forward and backward from that and do both sides at the same time. Then the second layer starts about at the same place with a 30 degree angle going the other way. You can usually start with fairly wide sheets and as you close in on the bow and stern, make them narrower to follow the curves easier. Best of luck to you... Neel

Return to “Hankinson designs”