Virginia Barrel

A forum for contacting other builders of Ken Hankinson designs. These designs are now a part of the Glen-L family.

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, billy c

kens

Re: Virginia Barrel

Post by kens »

ANY V8 will give you that V8 rumble.
For a barrelback the lowly 283 Chev is the ticket.
Since that is no longer in production the plain choices is a 305 (maybe) and a 350.
Personnaly I think 6.2L is too much for a barrelback. and you paying for HP you can't use properly
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

CoreyT

Post by CoreyT »

Do you know of any website I can look for engines? I was looking for something turnkey ready that is already marinized. I’m looking for an easy install as I am not familiar with engines let alone marine engines.

TomB

Post by TomB »

Corey,

These are the people I talked with.

www.skidim.com My engine came from this one. They don't show engines now, maybe they're out of that now.

www.michiganmotorz.com/turn-engines-c-31_49_79.html Knowledgable but didn't have what I wanted.

Tom
In the home stretch on a Tahoe 23

mickfly

Post by mickfly »

I just ordered my turn key engine from Michigan Motorz. Ask for Loren. Very knowledgeable. I ordered a 4.3 l . Maybe underpowered but after those “hooking” posts...

CoreyT

Post by CoreyT »

Yeh I listened to Kens opinion and decided that I would go with a V6 4.3 liter. The more I thought about it the V6 will be lighter, a little easier on gas and most of the time I would be just cruising through the inter coastal waterways and inlets, not drag racing. The boat was designed with a V6 in mind and the kicker for me is I might get an extra couple inches of space for the rear cockpit. Also haven’t decided if I’m going to do two separate cockpits or 1 large cockpit. I’m about 60/40 leaning more toward the large cockpit to provide more leg room. So I’ve found two engines so far I’m looking at. I’ll have to revisit Michigan motors and see what they have.
Attachments
9E03AF0E-61B5-4BFF-916A-25AD4E6C8CF2.png
FCE0272B-4FF2-4569-AD48-8E4356C7726C.png

CoreyT

Post by CoreyT »

mickfly wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:28 pm
I just ordered my turn key engine from Michigan Motorz. Ask for Loren. Very knowledgeable. I ordered a 4.3 l . Maybe underpowered but after those “hooking” posts...
Which 4.3l did you go with? What was your deciding factors?

Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

I ordered mine from Michigan motors also. Got the 4.3 mpi for my barrelback. They installed the velvet drive transmission on it. Good folks to deal with.
Jim
Jim Neeley
Building a Barrelback in Sacramento, CA
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=28089#p172969

CoreyT

Post by CoreyT »

Sounds like Michigan Motorz is the way to go.

hoodman

Post by hoodman »

Your new v6 will be much more powerful than the one the "Barrel" was designed for. You will not be underpowered.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

kens

Post by kens »

hoodman wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:52 pm
Your new v6 will be much more powerful than the one the "Barrel" was designed for. You will not be underpowered.
Agreed,

Some years ago at the boat show, I saw a then brand new MPI V6 Mercruiser on display. Gosh, that thing even looked heavy, with all the plumbing, sensors, wiring, do-dads, gizmos, brackets for all that stuff; after getting home I searched it up on internet, the MPI V6 is just as heavy as the old school carbureted V8.
It is a 1,000lb V6. the old school 350 is a 1,000lb V8.
If it was me, I would opt for the simpler, lighter carbureated version.
ANY new V6 will make more power than the old 283 I mentioned because it has roller cam & vortec heads.
Somewhere there is a barrel built & running with a V6, but I don't remember his name.
You did mention leg room & cockpit space, the V6 with a down angle transmission is very compact package.
Perhaps price quote with the ZF 45a tranny, gear ratio 1.2:1.
The 45a coupled to a V6 is a recipe for robust and compact package
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

kens

Post by kens »

CoreyT

Post by CoreyT »

kens wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 7:04 pm
this is the only carbed V6 I see on their website:

https://www.michiganmotorz.com/complete ... p-244.html
https://www.michiganmotorz.com/hurth-ma ... -4235.html
Based of everything you’ve said as well as others I think I’m sold on your recommendations. Now I just need to get to that point. I think I will place the engine in there before I start the decking so I can work out any issues while I have the space to do it. Thanks for the feedback everyone!

mickfly

Post by mickfly »

I got the MPS43C, with the velvet drive 1:1.
I’m building the key largo (open utility version of BB) so cockpit size Is not an issue. However, I already have the deck beam installed. I think the engine is a full frame forward in the key largo, which allows for passenger weight in the rear seat (in front of frame one)

CoreyT

Post by CoreyT »

mickfly wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 12:05 pm
I got the MPS43C, with the velvet drive 1:1.
I’m building the key largo (open utility version of BB) so cockpit size Is not an issue. However, I already have the deck beam installed. I think the engine is a full frame forward in the key largo, which allows for passenger weight in the rear seat (in front of frame one)
I seen the key largo pictures and it’s a nice boat. I’d probably of built that one had I not already bought the plans for the barrel back for more passengers. The engine you bought is the one Ken recommended too and that is the one I’m going to go with. I took the measurements and looks like there will be absolutely no problem with clearance. I got my wife, 6 kids and a grand baby on the way. I just turned 38 today so I think I have a some more years left in me to build another boat.

kens

Post by kens »

If space is a high concern for you, be sure to look at both the ZF45a, and the VelvetDrive 1:1.
both are good tranny for your build, but,
The ZF raises up the rear of the engine, which might put a hump in the floor sole.??
Just some drawing stuff to look at with your C&C (chair & cooler)

Return to “Hankinson designs”