Deck planking and gap

A forum for contacting other builders of Ken Hankinson designs. These designs are now a part of the Glen-L family.

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, billy c

Tony Hain

Deck planking and gap

Post by Tony Hain »

Building a Tahoe 23. Wondering what approximate width of deck planking and gap between the planking people used.
Tony Hain
"Never under-estimate the bounds of human stupidity" (Robert Heinlein)
and on a more optimistic note "nor the capacity for human brilliance"

Bill Edmundson

Re: Deck planking and gap

Post by Bill Edmundson »

Tony

I use 1/4". You can buy plastic spacers for tile at he box store for very little.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

mickfly

Post by mickfly »

I used 1/4 on my barrel back. I used slightly thicker deck boards ~1/4-5/16 than standard. Wondering if the thicker caulking (3M 3000uv) will be an issue? Another question is whether varnish needs to be removed from gaps? I’ve not purposefully put varnish in the gaps but hard to keep it out when brushing...and wonder why I would remove it?

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

I filled the gaps with epoxy and varnish.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

billy c

Post by billy c »

I went with 3/16. GarWood ran that on theirs. What you often see are deck seams that have been reamed out over the years of recaulking so you can do that too. Probably easier wider if you are using contrasting wood stripes
Wish to correct myself on this one and add a vote for Jim’s 1/8” width for the seams. :)
(insert Witty phrase here)
Billy's Belle Isle website

Aussie

Post by Aussie »

Tony,
I will check mine tonight and let you know

Do you know what you are caulking with yet?

Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

Classic boats had 1/8 caulk lines. See page 12 of my build. I coated the grooves with varnish before applying the caulk. Boat life caulk was great. Link below. Scroll down on page 12.

viewtopic.php?p=197289#p197289

Jim
Jim Neeley
Building a Barrelback in Sacramento, CA
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=28089#p172969

mickfly

Post by mickfly »

Thanks Jim. I read somewhere (Classic Boat Connection?) that boat life caulk shoukd not be used for thicknesses greater than 1/8. I have 1/4 width and depth and have been thinking of going with 3M 3000 uv. I'm not planning to varnish over it and paint as you have done (looks fantastic). I do wish I'd gone with narrower gaps. As you can see...that ship has sailed.
Attachments
8C7585F0-1822-473D-88D9-618924C9D769.jpeg

Tony Hain

Post by Tony Hain »

Thanks everyone for your comments. So it looks like I am aiming for a gap between 1/4" and 1/8". It will depend on the width of the planking. I think I've read people working on around two and a 1/4 to 1/2 inches. Any comment on planking width would be appreciated.

Jamie
I haven't decided which way to go on the caulking yet. Have finished the cover boards and king board and will post pictures on my build post soon. I am at that point where I have to decide on the deck colour etc.
Tony Hain

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

I misspoke earlier. I did not fill the gaps. I did epoxy and varnish before filling with caulk. My deck planks are 1 7/8". That is the same as the width of the masking tape.

Bill
Tahoe 19 Build

mickfly

Post by mickfly »

Thanks Bill. That’s how I interpreted...

My deck planks, in the picture, are about 2” wide. I measured and calculated but still made slight adjustments in the widths of the last several boards to help me get a wider board at the edge. I can’t tell they are thinner by eye. Bill’s idea of 1 7/8 would make taping a lot easier.

Tony Hain

Post by Tony Hain »

Yes, matching board width to available masking tape size makes a lot of sense if possible. So plank width probably more like 2" than 2 1/4".
Tony Hain

Return to “Hankinson designs”