Fuel Tank suggestions?

A forum for contacting other builders of Ken Hankinson designs. These designs are now a part of the Glen-L family.

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, billy c

Bluesman

Fuel Tank suggestions?

Post by Bluesman »

Tahoe 21'
Looking for a fuel tank suggestion, what works for the space? The instructions call out a custom made 30 gallon tank but I think something off the shelf will have to do...

Perhaps this one from Moeller?
http://www.moellermarine.com/moeller-ma ... nk-032527/

What have others done please?
Tahoe - 21' under construction

LeClaire, IA - Birthplace of "Buffalo" Bill Cody and home of the American Pickers on The History Channel

Bill Edmundson

Re: Fuel Tank suggestions?

Post by Bill Edmundson »

Ted

My Tahoe tank came from RDS Aluminum. It's one of their standard tanks and is 26 gallons.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Bluesman

Post by Bluesman »

Thanks Bill, I saw that one at Wholesale Marine and it's pricey bugger but you pay for the aluminum fabrication. I think you needed that for the diesel?

LeClaire, IA - Birthplace of "Buffalo" Bill Cody and home of the American Pickers on The History Channel

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

Ted

I don't remember if I needed it for the diesel. I also bought from them for the Bartender. The Bartender needed custom shaped tanks.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Roberta

Post by Roberta »

I have a Moeller tank in the Torpedo. It's been fine.

Roberta
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

Bluesman

Post by Bluesman »

Thanks Roberta, what capacity do you have?

Roberta

Post by Roberta »

It's 40 gallons. I don't remember what one, but it is pretty square shaped with clamps on the lower edge. I also put some blocking along the bottom to keep it from shifting and some ratchet straps over the top for extra security.

Roberta

Bluesman

Post by Bluesman »

Wow! Is that enough capacity to go round trip from Hales bar to Chattanooga and back?

Just trying to judge what makes sense, 27 gallons or go for 30 gallons, more is always better but at what expense?

Roberta

Post by Roberta »

Way more than enough. Probably do it twice with a heavy throttle. We fill it up just before we get to Hale's Barr and run all weekend so it gets pretty empty before we leave. That way we don't have to haul all that fuel cross-country.

My tank is very aft, as most classics are. My trim tabs really help with changing CGs. I can balance the boat for a nice ride in all conditions.

Roberta :D

TomB

Post by TomB »

Ted,

I have a 33 gallon Moeller tank from Great Lakes Skipper. The one you have picked out looks about right. The only real wrinkle I had was the need to add a fuel return.

Tom
In the home stretch on a Tahoe 23

Roberta

Post by Roberta »

The fuel return is definitely a consideration. If your motor fuel system requires one, look for tanks or options to provide one. My Crusader engine did not require a return. So you need a fuel pickup, vent, filler tube, sending unit, maybe a return.

Roberta

Bluesman

Post by Bluesman »

I'll have to check the fuel system but the used power plant I bought had a carb with a return line back to the pump? More like a bowl overflow line than anything.

Dave NZ

Post by Dave NZ »

Hi there.

Because my Tahoe is a utility layout I didn't have a lot of room to put all the gear I needed in the transom area. I went with a custom stainless 12"x12"x48" tank (dimensions were actually metric equivalent). Roberta has covered the tank securing so wont detail that here.

Id like to share a learning I had... My tank is mounted further back in the transom rear area by about 8" fore-aft to allow the ski pole to be fitted behind the rear seat frame. The water cooling plumbing and blowers are also in this space. This position means the deck is sloping for the fill point and the tank fill stub vertical. I didn't have much vertical room to fit the joining hose either given the tank and fill have stubs, even with only a 12" high tank. Not an easy installation to get it to work right.

I would say as well as the other considerations to work through, to also check that the plan area of the tank will let you fit all the gear you want in the space and the height of the tank fill stub to deck fill fitting stub is doable for the joiner hose and is able to seal and be secure. I'm pretty sure others have worked this before so can advise better than me.

Every installation is different of course so these may or may not apply, and there may be other things to think through. :)

Dave

Bluesman

Post by Bluesman »

Thanks for the feedback Dave. I'm pretty well settled on the 27 gallon Moeller tank I linked above as it will fit the best and it's the closest I can get to 30 gallons. Should have enough head space for the fill tube and the dual exhaust to pass by the sides.

boisebrit

Post by boisebrit »

I came to the same conclusion for the 27 Gallon Moeller tank, it is sitting in my key largo waiting for install. Attached a couple of pics for reference.

Bryan
Attachments
image0-4.jpeg
image1-2.jpeg

Return to “Hankinson designs”