19ft Barrelback Prop Strut Questions

A forum for contacting other builders of Ken Hankinson designs. These designs are now a part of the Glen-L family.

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, billy c

ejr

19ft Barrelback Prop Strut Questions

Post by ejr »

I started working on a 19ft BB about 5 years ago, but got side tracked with job, moving, babies, etc. You know, "life". I finally got my workshop built, and I am ready to get this project back on track. I am going back through my old work and finishing up the fairing. I hope to start planking in the next couple of months. In the meantime, I am trying to collect random parts when I find them for a good price, which brings me to my first question for this group.

I have located a prop strut off of an old Chris Craft, a 1950 Cavalier maybe. It is for a 1" prop shaft. I have contacted the seller to get information about the shaft angle and drop. I received the following response:
Ok so I dug out my angle blocks and set this on my mill table and come up with 16 degrees.
Measuring where the shaft would exit the support it is approx 5.750 to the center of the shaft.
Overall height or drop measuring from the mounting surface to the very bottom is 6.5
I have another listed that has the same drop at approx 19 degrees.
It is heavier and has a larger bolt pattern.
Hope this helps
I have attached a couple pictures of the strut.

As stated, I am building the 19 ft (old work space did not permit the 20ft build). I will use a 4.3L V6. I have not purchased anything. I am considering a Mercruiser MPI if there is way to use them in an inboard. When I pull the trigger on the motor, I will probably get it from Michganmotorz, as they seem to be a well recommended supplier on these boards,

I assume the prop will be a 12" of some pitch.

Please let me know your guys thoughts. If this will work, the price is right.
Attachments
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600a.jpg
Building a 19 foot Barrelback in Oklahoma
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=35757

mickfly

Re: 19ft Barrelback Prop Strut Questions

Post by mickfly »

Not a complete answer, but I purchased my strut from Glen-L. I'm fairly certain Gayle sold me a ~16 degree. I'm building the Key Largo (utility version of the barrelback), but not sure it matters...except the engine is one frame further back in the BB. Good luck with getting back into the build.

ejr

Post by ejr »

Thanks

The plans call for an 18 degree strut angle. If I understand correctly, with the 1 to 2 degree drop in the keel, that would require a strut with a 16 degree angle. I am lost on the amount of drop that I would need. And, while the price is right, I would prefer not to waste my limited funds to test.
Building a 19 foot Barrelback in Oklahoma
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=35757

TomB

Post by TomB »

It is hard to find a strut at the perfect angle, 16* should work. Setting the engine a little low or high or maybe shaving a little boat bottom under the strut front edge or back edge to get everything perfect. I'm not sure you have enough drop, best to make yourself a drawing to confirm everything and then you'll know...mostly. I made a drawing from transom to frame 4 including: a rudder, clearance to remove the prop, prop and prop shaft, clearance between the prop and prop strut and so on to the engine and how it set in the boat (clearances). The drawing is taped to the wall beyond the casters.
IMG_0259.jpg
The drawing was mostly perfect :D :D :D and made a really good drop cloth. Tom
In the home stretch on a Tahoe 23

Return to “Hankinson designs”