Spending and budgets

A forum for contacting other builders of Ken Hankinson designs. These designs are now a part of the Glen-L family.

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, billy c

C-Ray

Spending and budgets

Post by C-Ray » Sat Jul 28, 2007 9:50 pm

:?: Hi All........in reading the forum very few share the budget they planned or the costs they have incurred in building their boats.

Specifically, it would be extremely helpful to know how much folks expected to spend and how close they came on boats like the Riviera, Monaco, Tahoe or the like. One builder shared that his budget was $22.5K. I am seriously considering buiilding a Tahoe 19 and need to budget - my incredibly wonderful wife would also like to know :) .

Any numbers shared and where the major costs were expended would be greatly appreciated. Also, what will you do differently on your next boat?

Thanks

Bob Perkins

Post by Bob Perkins » Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:52 am

I'm building the Biscayne 22... I'll be the first to admit I have not cheaped out on any part of the process or cut corners. I figure if I'm spending this much of my time - then money should not cause the project to be sub-standard.

All that being said. I'm guessing that it will be about $30K when all said and done.

Spread over the 4-6 years it will take to build.. It is a bit easier to swallow..
Places I could have trimmed some budget:

. trailer - had a custom bunk trailer w/twin axles and suspension.
. motor - maybe gone used?
. lumber - I could have used less expensive wood for interior framing.. but I probably would have saved less than $1k on those items.

I'm not sure where else I could have saved - except on small items - like instruments, steering, etc..

Good luck
Regards,
Bob Perkins

All the Fun Stuff
https://bperkins.wordpress.com/

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:16 pm

I'm doing a Tahoe 19. I'm rigth on line with Bob. I'm using a new diesel $$$$$$. New aluminum trailer $$$$.

I don't think there is alot to be saved on the frame. Shipping has killed me on marine plywood.

I don't know if Bob has tracked his trash cost or not. But, I'm going to have about $2K. That's brushes, glove, sandpaper, dust mask....

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

C-Ray

Post by C-Ray » Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:26 pm

:D This has been extremely helpful. Thank you Bill and Bob for your insight. I have not been able to call Glen-L yet due to high pressure (which equals long hours) at work. Hopefully, I can do that Friday. I was planning on ordering plans this week.

Thanks again.

:lol:

KnottyBuoyz

Post by KnottyBuoyz » Wed Aug 01, 2007 6:55 am

Bob Perkins wrote:I'm building the Biscayne 22...
That Biscayne 22 is a real work of art Bob! Looking forward to seeing it all come together. I have to go searching for your thread.

I have a planning spreadsheet in MS Excel for our trawler project. It might be useful for other boatbuilders to modify. Leave me a message and I'll get it to you.
Yours Aye!
Rick

Ron Filsell

Post by Ron Filsell » Wed Aug 01, 2007 3:33 pm

g, day C Ray I am the bloke who disclosed his budget for the Tahoe 19.
Goes like this In Ausie dollars Hull $5000
Engine and transmission $10000
Trailer $5000
Running gear $2000
Instruments upholstery deck fittings and paint $3000
Fudge factor 10% $2500
Total in aus $ 27500
How to convince the misses. Im not realy building a boat Im building an asset.
How to save money. Dont shop for material on special rather shop the project, find a supplier capable of supplying the majority of product within a given group ie. timber and plywood. buy all at once. only use the" best of its kind " your asset will be even more valuable as will be your satisfaction.

C-Ray

Post by C-Ray » Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:06 am

Hi Ron.........et. al....
Thanks for the reply and the expenses. I was a bit more conservative on my estimates. I was hoping I could do a good job for <$15K. My budget 'kinda-sorta' ends there!!!! I already have a chevy 283 that I can rebuild. So that would minimize the engine costs. However, the rest of the expenses will be similar unless there are miracles to be had. There are some good lumber supply houses in town where I have already purchased mahogany for my wood working hobby. So there may be some savings to be gained there. But in your budget the wood was only $5K and that wasn't too far above what I had expected.

Bob........how do I share my email with you - not on the forum? That way I can get your spreadsheet. It would be very helpful. Thx

You have all opened my eyes..... :shock:.....(and esp. my wifes eyes) wider than we had thought possible :!:...........

Thanks

Carl

kens

Post by kens » Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:46 pm

There was a recent thread about costs, and we all noticed that we are spending as much on epoxy as we do on wood.
Shopping around, I can get 26' trailer, new, <$4k, so a smaller 20' for such a boat as yours should come in around $3k

You mentioned you got a 283 chevy, is it already marinized?, or do you still the manifolds and marine parts?

C-Ray

Post by C-Ray » Fri Aug 03, 2007 4:31 pm

The motor needs a complete rebuild and marinization. :cry: I don't have any marine parts yet. As I get closer to taking the plunge (commit to building something) I will need a lot of stuff.

I just spoke to Barry at Glen-L and got a good handle on the performance of different boats. After that conversation the Riviera or Monaco are looking better for my needs.

Carl

Oyster

Post by Oyster » Sun Aug 05, 2007 6:06 am

Keep in mind that when you are done with your hulls, you get exactly what you want and in almost all cases the boat is paid for. This is not the case when you go down and plop a five or ten percent down payment to buy that shiny gelcoat hull , a compromise in most cases too, only to see that you cannot fix it when you ding it without it looking patched, and in three years the boat still requires probably the same amount of maintainance in time and quite possibly more in upgrades from the trash hardware that is used and issues of poor workmanship. A 22 foot production hull will also be about six grand noways, to start, and you cannot give them away either without taking about a fourth of the costs of the boat at that time, in today's market. And the satisfaction at the boatramp has no dollar amount of value when wiping the drool off of the boat from dreamers each time you launch the boat. :wink: And Mr. Perkins has done one of the finest jobs a person can do on the hull that he is building. 8)

Bob Perkins

Post by Bob Perkins » Mon Aug 06, 2007 7:05 am

All,

Thanks for the kind words on my project :)

C-Ray - I do not have a spreadsheet set up -- I use Quicken for home finances - The boat is just a category. I track materials in the boat and materials used for construction. My tracking of this info is reasonably good.

Most of the items are just pricey. Exhaust hose, water intakes, instruments, shutoff valves, custom gas tank,....they all added up quickly.

The forum software should allow you to see my email address.. It is in my profile.
Or: bperkins @ yahoo.com
Regards,
Bob Perkins

All the Fun Stuff
https://bperkins.wordpress.com/

Return to “Hankinson designs”