I have been lurking for a while. As my sig. states, I am not going to be building a boat in the next year, probably not the next 3 years - really. At one of those transition stages in life, and planning ahead. In about 5 to 7 years, I will start working on a boat - for right now, a daughter headed to college (ka-CHING) will pre-empt a build.
That said, I am a research hog, and am really trying to chart a course. I hate to say this on a Glen-L board, but I am not sure which designer I am going to use, let alone a design. However, I like the Hankinson Barracuda drawings. I am not having much luck finding real pictures, especially recent ones. That is the primary reason for this post, besides introducing myself.
Hear are my goals in a boat:
- Fishing (Intercoastal, Near Off-Shore)
- Activity (Family boating, Ski, transport to remote isles)
- Utility (Safe, Uncluttered, Easy to maintain, clean)
- Prefer SOME shelter even if just a covered console.
- Seating removeable / convertable
- Storage - convertable - able to handle Fishing gear and swap for skis, etc when needed. Picture modular rod - racks that can be also Ski racks.
- Might even want Console cover to be removeable for towing and ICW bridge use
- More rugged than pretty. IE no bright-sides, fancy decking, chrome anchors, etc
- Outboard (single to start with, nice to have hull with Dual option)
- =< 100hp to start (target top end 40-45mph)
- Want to be able to beach occasionally if necessary so no Inboard or Stern Drive
- Minimum 18' 6"
- Maximum 22'
- Would like to be able to fit in some cubby holes near / under bridges in ICW if possible
- Must be trailerable, yet beamy enough for fishing
Ok... More about me... I have a ton of interests, 2 kids, side-business, full-time job, and to be honest, might have a hard time focussing a Ton of time on a build. So I will need to be able to cut corners on the build... This is just an objective observation of my personality. Considering this, I am open to frame kits / hull kits, etc. The main reason for building myself is to save money, as well as to have a custom boat - even if it isn't the fanciest. I would consider S&G, but I haven't really seen any designs that would meet my criteria in S&G. Here is a tongue - in - cheek comment... I have found a design (by another designer) that looks really good, and it is offered in a very reasonable boat - kit configuration that includes all marine ply, mahogany pre-cut frames, etc.
I am open for plan suggestions, as well as all opinions. While I haven't seen anything here that formally discourages discussing non-Glen-L plans, I appreciate this venue and dont want to step on toes. If it would be ok, I can post the name / designer / link that I really like, in order to get opinions on good Glen-L / Hankinson designs that are comparable.
Ok... I am done with my first Book on this board. Sorry it was so wordy, hopefully someone can give me more ideas, or advice. I hope there is someone that has more pictures of a Barracuda that I can look at! That one gets my attention.