Belle Isle chine

A forum for contacting other builders of Ken Hankinson designs. These designs are now a part of the Glen-L family.

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, billy c

billy c

Post by billy c » Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:24 pm

hi Peter-
will most likely go over to Winnipesaukee.. Glendale near the MP headquarters as they have a great ramp and are sheltered so i can take my time. have another set of bunks ready to add to my trailer and want to see how it loads so should be able to tie up and do some trailer work. also want to align the drive line components. not registered yet but guessing it isnt a boat til i get my VIN :?:
The Meredith show was a great one. Also the Wolfeboro with the vintage hydro races and skiffs and Alton Bay shows are pretty entertaining. Not sure if i am the boat show participant type but love to go to the shows...
-Billy
(insert Witty phrase here)
Billy's Belle Isle website

billy c

Post by billy c » Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:40 pm

Jeremy-
re the 20 questions above...
I have left the spray rails off for the moment not sure i like the looks of them either! the sheer does flare a little more on the Hankinson design than the older craft so maybe that is enough to roll the water off or at least only wet the other compartments. i did the 6 oz glass to the boot stripe and blended the 4oz topsides to it. glassed the transom also and overlapped to the topside the ss trim will cover the lap at the topside/transom overlap. on the windshield i would love to have the bugatti style. right now i have racing runabout brackets. but that will change... i am getting a little better at welding ss so may attempt to buy some channel stock and weld some windshield brackets. the California Classics $6,000 price tag is a little much for my blood...
-Billy
oh yeah.. i am starting "Miss Behave" a 16' Garwood gentlemans racer replica.
should be an exciting little beast...

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:53 pm

I highly recommend Spray-rails! At the Gathering, Butch Barto put them on this year. He picked up speed and a dryer boat. My Tahoe is dryer than the Monaco's without rails.

I have places that I have 3 layers of 6 oz. You can't see it. The important thing is to saturate the cloth. I've used 6 oz and 8 oz and the controlling thing is wetting out. I see no reason to mess with flimsy 4 oz.

My Ass Opinion,
MAO
Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

billy c

Post by billy c » Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:31 pm

I highly recommend Spray-rails! At the Gathering, Butch Barto put them on this year. He picked up speed and a dryer boat. My Tahoe is dryer than the Monaco's without rails
thanks for the spray rail info Bill
that is good to know... i had asked Bob Perkins about that same thing and he was undecided so far as to adding them. are you saying he picked up speed because of lift created or just he had a few less gallons of water in the boat?

guess on the proper glass weight, the darker stain colors will highlight the cloth weave more. did the bottom of the boat which was unstained and the 6 oz glass disappeared even on the overlaps. my idea on the topside glass was more for waterproofing and preventing checking than anything else.
MAO :lol:

-Billy

PeterG

Post by PeterG » Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:03 am

At risk of pirating this thread, I apologize beforehand... I was wondering about spray rails too, my thought is to follow what the original Barrelbacks had. I do think the spray rails found just above the waterline function nicely in that they keep water from blowing/creeping up the topsides and wetting the deck and anyone in the stern. With the lack of a real gunwale on a barrelback, that could make a mess...

The Hankinson Barrelback (and Key Largo, and probably the Belle Isle?) have spray rails which the lower edge is flush with the bottom of the chine... that would provide some amount more lift than a hull without them... and still keep the hull dry? I am on the fence about installing this style... any thoughts?

BillyC, that part of the lake I remember is great for doing what you need... my dad was at the MP headquarters one day and found some people taking advantage of the quiet spot just like you say... they were quite surprised when he said it looked like they were testing a submarine antenna, they couldn't understand how he knew until he explained he used to worked on subs. We never did figure out why they needed that particular spot though. I won't tell the Marine Patrol your boat isn't registered... besides they'll be too curious about your boat to notice that.
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.
Griffin's Law: Murphy was an optimist.

goldy152

Post by goldy152 » Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:09 am

Wow I had not yet called Calafornia Classics but a $6,000.00 price tag would not sit well with me either. There is a gentelmen in my local ACBS club (NCO) that runs a custom fab shop who told me he should be able to reproduce the Bugatti windshield at our meeting this past monday.
I will get a quote from him soon.
Regarding the spray rails I wonder if a small wedge could be added just under each chine before the glass is applied. It might divert the spray out and down but I dont know if it would have a negitive effect on the ride of the boat. I Wish I could ask Hankinson that question.
As far as the cloth goes, Do any of you have prefrence of brand for best wet out. I am using West to build the hull but I have heard that epiaglass or System three may wet out better.
Jeremy Goldstein

olandrea

Post by olandrea » Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:29 pm

He Billy,
I hope you let us see some nice photos when you build "Miss Behave" . She is one my list to.
Olaf

Return to “Hankinson designs”