Looking for a few Ken Hankinson plans to buy

A forum for contacting other builders of Ken Hankinson designs. These designs are now a part of the Glen-L family.

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, billy c

lalldrin

Looking for a few Ken Hankinson plans to buy

Post by lalldrin »

I'm looking for a few Ken Hankinson plans: Hunky Dory and the Snake Shooter. Ken's site is dead, no email, no phone, no webpage. Anyone have any plans they wouldn't mind selling? Even if you have a few other plans I'd like to hear what you have as I'm trying to come up with some designs to consider for a commercial fishing boat off the beach in Alaska.

Thanks,

Lance

RonW

Post by RonW »

http://www.glen-l.com/designs/workboat/workboats.html

Are you familar with this page,? The vee dory is the same as the one hankinson had. Plus quite a few larger boats to choose from.

gone_fishing

Ken Hankinson's Designs

Post by gone_fishing »

I called Ken Hankinson's phone # (208) 772-5547 and there is a message that they have retired and their website is managed by a friendly competitor. I don't know who the friendly competitor is but hope it is Glen-L. Now my question is is when will their plans be available again?

Barry

Post by Barry »

I talked to Ken when we purchased his domain name. He said he would put a message on the answering machine directing callers to boatdesigns.com. We are the "friendly competitor". We did not however, buy his plans.
There are certain problems involved with selling plans from other designers. To me, the most important one is being able to answer questions about the plans.
I would assume that the ones designed by Ken himself would be similar in construction to those in our catalog, but those by other designers that he sold, would most likely not be the same and answering questions could get dicey.

Dave Grason

Post by Dave Grason »

His website has shown a series of nice barrelback designs that I've had on my future wish list. I'd be willing to buy those plans soon if it meant the difference of missing out on them later.

Of course, I may never get to build them but if I can't find that plans at all, the decision would be made for me. I'd rather have access to them one way or the other.
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

lalldrin

V dory in aluminum?

Post by lalldrin »

Ron and Barry,
I was looking at the V dory but need plans for aluminum construction. I will be using the boat off the beach in Alaska and need aluminum for abrasion resistence and the "V" to handle punching through the surf. I haven't seen anything exactly like that in the Glen L plans. Can the V dory plans be modified to work with aluminum?

Lance

gone_fishing

plans

Post by gone_fishing »

His site has a nice 32 foot open cockpit foam sandwich plan that I would loved to build also. Glen-L doesn't have that plan. What's the possibility of getting these plans used? Is their a copyright to only use them once?

Post by Guest »

kens

Post by kens »

The aluminum Double Eagle could be close to the aluminum V-dory that was mentioned. I am building the Double Eagle as a center-console inboard.
The boat that I wanted was a inboard V-Dory. I chose the Double Eagle and deleted the cabin. The Double Eagle does have shallow vee at the transom whereas the V-Dory is flat bottom.

mdrummey

Post by mdrummey »

Does anyone know where I can buy a set of plans for Ken's "Coastal Cruiser"? I have looked at this boat for over a year and went online to buy the plans and the site was gone. My son and I would like to build it in aluminium. PLEASE HELP!!!!!

Michael

gone_fishing

Plans rights

Post by gone_fishing »

I believe that if Glen L offered enough money for the rights to the Ken Hankinson plans that he would accept it. Having a verity to choose from would bring more customers and therefore increase their income. It's a win/win situation. The world is missing out on these plans!

Return to “Hankinson designs”