Builders of Hankinson Boats

A forum for contacting other builders of Ken Hankinson designs. These designs are now a part of the Glen-L family.

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, billy c

Bob Perkins

Builders of Hankinson Boats

Post by Bob Perkins »

Glen-L,

Thanks for putting this forum in place..

Ken's website had some great boats on it, however he didn't let any of the builders communicate with each other because he didn't want to give out their contact information.

I always wanted to talk to a couple of the guys who built the mahogany runabouts and see how they did a few things. If any of you end up here - please let us know..

Thanks,
Bob Perkins

Dave Grason

Post by Dave Grason »

Welcome to the forum, Bob.

To be honest, Ken had his website up for years and so has Glen-L. But the forum is THE biggest reason I'm over here and rarely ever spent any time over there. I too was always disappointed with the lack of an ability to "network" the builds. And guess what? I own 4 sets of Glen-L plans and 2 sets of Glen-L study plans. I have plans for 2 different Glen-L trailers, Glen-L books, Glen-L catalogs, Glen-L videos and Glen-L epoxy. I have zero anything from Ken's company. Do you suppose the forum, or lack of, had anything to do with that?
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

Bob Perkins

Post by Bob Perkins »

I was disappointed that Ken didn't have a forum - But I got the idea he was pretty much a one man shop..

When I was plan shopping, Glen-L didn't have the Monte Carlo - or I may have gone that way.. So I went with Kens plans..

However - I have Glen-L strut, shaftlog, rudder, parts..... So the Glen-L forum certainly is good for Glen-L's business.

It's too bad they can't work out a royalty plan with Ken for the plans-- Even if Glen-L sold them and made $0 on the plans ... They would certainly make some $$$ on components of any boat made..

I do know that Ken and Glen had a bit of a falling out years ago and went their seperate ways. Maybe retirement is mending fences...

Hopefully current builders will chime in..

Dave Grason

Post by Dave Grason »

Bob, you're dead on with what you said. This would be nothing but good for Glen-L. Personally, I'd really like to see the builders of all those Hankinson designs gravitate over here. I know there must be a wealth of knowledge to be shared in both directions. I'm actually very excited about it.
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

charlie

Post by charlie »

I feel the same. I own two of Glen-L plans and one of Ken's Plans the Tahoe 19. Both Glen-L and Ken have great designs. But I can't find any design on the market that looks like the Miss Chris and this was the next design I had wanted to buy from Ken. Thank you Glen-L for this Forum.

ET

Hankinson support

Post by ET »

While it's true that Ken did not have a web forum, I've talked to him several times on the phone and also email. He was very helpful and provided what was needed in supporting my build. As is stated on another post, the concepts of the building of Glen-L's boats and also Ken's are similar. The designs of both seem very good. With the many books and videos available as well as numerous web sites maintained by other boat builders, there is suffiecient information for anyone still building one of Ken's designs.

Post by Guest »

Bob,

I'm building Ken's Barrelback 19, and things are going well. I would be happy to converse about that, and about the boat you are building. Feel free to contact me at pttr472@aol.com

Chris

Return to “Hankinson designs”