Progress on the Titan Tug

A forum for contacting other builders of Ken Hankinson designs. These designs are now a part of the Glen-L family.

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, billy c

slug

Progress on the Titan Tug

Postby slug » Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:36 pm

DSCN0269.JPG
Here's my method for laying out the frames...first lay them out on cardboard, cut each out then trace onto wood. Works well also for the gussets.

DSCN0273.JPG
Here's the assembled frame

DSCN0276.JPG
The frames temporarily assembled on the building form...too cold for epoxy then.

DSCN0276.JPG
The frames temporarily assembled on the building form...too cold for epoxy then.

slug

Re: Progress on the Titan Tug

Postby slug » Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:38 pm

Bear with me folks..this is my first attempt at posting pics.. I'm finally getting the hang of it.
Doug

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:40 pm

Doug

Looks good to me. An Idea came up the other day on another thread. Lay the skeg lamination parallel to the shaft. Then put narrow strips on each side of the shaft. A tube then can be glassed in. You won't have the long bore!

I have not done this. So, I don't know what I'm talking about!

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

slug

Postby slug » Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:49 am

Thanks Bill. I have'nt made much progress during the past 4 or 5 months as I have been extremely busy with work and there was'nt any heat in the new shop yet. I've since retired ( again ) and am going almost full time on the tug. (still some yard work to complete tho). Hope to be installing ply next month. Just picked up the motor... a Kubota 1105 with the panel and bellhousing and adapters to the ZF10 trans. On a roll now! :D :D :D
Doug

carlos bairo

Postby carlos bairo » Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:42 am

doug..... you work looks grate ,nice job. i start to work on titan after 2 monts in spain for a holiday ,working on templates for plaiting and a design on the rudder pintles with flanges bolted at the top and bottom of the rudder ,i have extende titan to 21'ft and i will used a25hp veta engine (kubota) 18''x10'' prop.x32mm shaft . cheers carlos bairo

slug

Postby slug » Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:56 am

DSCN0352.JPG
Got the aft cap rail clamp laminated up last night. Used up 52 clamps! Once it sets up I'll use it as a form to glue up the outer clamp for installation after the ply is on. This should save me some grief later on. Notice the additional ply brackets to hold the shape. I temporarily installed a piece of wobble ply to determine the shape (conocal) then installed the temp brackets to this shape, thus determing the final curve of the clamps. Getting close to that first sheet of plywood!
Attachments
DSCN0354.JPG
Her's a shot of the keel area. Note that I have widened the inner keel so it can be filleted into the plywood sheeting at the lowest points, allowing any water to drain to the bilge. The limbers still have to be cut thru the battens.

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:43 pm

Looking GREAT :!:

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Oyster

Postby Oyster » Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:49 pm

You have the right approach, steady as she goes. Keep at it and pretty soon it will be tugging at your heart strings to float it and you will be tooting your own horn at the launching ramp. :wink: :)

slug

Postby slug » Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:43 am

Finally getting somewhere :D . Got the first layer of 1/4 ply on most of the hull and it's looking great! Had a real problem with the bottom bow sheet as the frame patterns I used were'nt even close. Had to cut out the battens, add about 1 1/2 inches to the camber of the forward frame and replace the battens to the new (checked with a piece of cardboard and then a sheet of 1/8 hardboard) frame. Once I got that straightened out it went better.
The second layer should go much faster.
Trying to rebuild a house at the same time and get ready to sell this one and move by Sept. Should be a busy summer.
Doug
Attachments
DSCN0409.JPG
DSCN0408.JPG

DaveLott

Postby DaveLott » Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:17 am

Looking Wonderful, keep it up

dave
Dave

Riviera build - the Midnight Cry Project
Glen-L Sea Kayak
Mahalo Standup Paddleboard

Video of Midnight in Action

Few things in the world measure up to the thrill and satisfaction of boating in a boat that you built.

slug

Postby slug » Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:22 pm

What with building another house and some contract woodworking, I haven't gotten much time in on the Titan. However, tomorrow is flip time, so I thought I'd update on the progress.
Got the hull glassed and epoxied and completed laminating the skeg ( big job!) The blue colour is from some aniline die I added to the epoxy so ti wouldn't look like bare wood while waiting for the anti fouling which will be blue.
The lower rudder bearing support is built ( stainless ) with a temp. shaft in for alignment.
The outer keel has had a 3/8 x 2" aluminum rub strip added full length, tapered down to 1" at the bow section ( done on the table saw and router )
Will update in a couple days depending on how the turn goes'
Doug
Attachments
DSCN0018.JPG
DSCN0021.JPG

upspirate

Postby upspirate » Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:25 pm

WOW!!! :shock:

Nice! :D

Oyster

Postby Oyster » Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:38 pm

Pretty good progress! This seems to be the year of the Tug=s.

ben2go

Postby ben2go » Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:03 pm

Good work.I thought you'd abandoned the project.
A boat is a hole in the water in which I throw money into.

slug

Postby slug » Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:15 am

Thanks guys; Ben2go...never going to happen...already got the drive train . (and cruising plans of course :lol: :lol: .
Doug

Return to “Hankinson designs”