Progress on the Titan Tug

A forum for contacting other builders of Ken Hankinson designs. These designs are now a part of the Glen-L family.

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, billy c

slug

Re: Progress on the Titan Tug

Post by slug »

Thanks Jerry. My 30+ years cabinetmaking is kicking in now.

Psycho. Will do, only in engine hours.

Doug

ben2go

Post by ben2go »

Sweet.I really like that coolant tank.Great use of space with the design.
A boat is a hole in the water in which I throw money into.

psychobilly

Post by psychobilly »

Hummm, engine hours is a great idea to add to a date. :-) the reason I say date is I just changed the two out in my mastercraft that I bought a couple years ago and the lower filter that's hard to get to had, get this, 11/03 on it!!!! I'm Gunna also put the hours on them too.

slug

Post by slug »

Had a good week :) . Got two bulkheads glassed, epoxied and installed, and completed what was for me a major milestone (millstone? ) I wasn't looking forward to doing the window jambs, what with all the compound angles. Well I finished them today, and just have to install the top plate, then the curved laminate on top, and she's ready for the roof. I didn't screw up too many cuts fortunately.
The other aft bulkhead is going on now that the major travelling in and out is complete.
Have to laminate the roof this week...a slow process. ( I have to do it in two stages and it takes two days for cure).
Temporary braces will come out after roof is on.

Doug
Attachments
Copy of DSCN0320.JPG
DSCN0319.JPG

ben2go

Post by ben2go »

It's turn out nice.

DaveLott

Post by DaveLott »

All of ya'll with previous woodworking experience make me :mrgreen:
Dave

Riviera build - the Midnight Cry Project
Glen-L Sea Kayak
Mahalo Standup Paddleboard

Video of Midnight in Action

Few things in the world measure up to the thrill and satisfaction of boating in a boat that you built.

slug

Post by slug »

Another major point reached today! I got the cooling system complete and tested (OK :D ), the exhaust system ( dry stack) is complete, and the fuel system is complete. Had the engine running for about 10 minutes and everything is great. So basically the mechanics ( except the steering hydraulics ) are done and ready for the water.
Back to the woodwork. Window frames are built and fitted, and now being sanded for varnish after one coat of clear epoxy.
Tempered safety glass (sticker shock there :shock: , but it was either that or plexi.) will be in this week, but they will wait till after some painting in the cabin.
Roof is laminated up and will be prefinished before install later...easier to work in the cabin without it on.
Coming along fairly well.
Doug

ben2go

Post by ben2go »

slug wrote:Another major point reached today! I got the cooling system complete and tested (OK :D ), the exhaust system ( dry stack) is complete, and the fuel system is complete. Had the engine running for about 10 minutes and everything is great. So basically the mechanics ( except the steering hydraulics ) are done and ready for the water.
Back to the woodwork. Window frames are built and fitted, and now being sanded for varnish after one coat of clear epoxy.
Tempered safety glass (sticker shock there :shock: , but it was either that or plexi.) will be in this week, but they will wait till after some painting in the cabin.
Roof is laminated up and will be prefinished before install later...easier to work in the cabin without it on.
Coming along fairly well.
Doug

Check local wrecking yards and scrapers for van,RV,and commercial truck windows.They are all laminated tempered glass and can usually be had cheap.

electric tug

Post by electric tug »

wow it looks like it has been three years since any progress has been shown here?...how did it go? also does the engine protrude above the deck line?..i want to put a towing bit 6 inches aft of the wheelhouse accomodaitons and wonder if this is possible?

slug

Post by slug »

Major milestone ( millstone???) reached this week. After 2 weeks of prepping the hull, got it painted Friday. Used Nason 2 part urethane and except for some operator screwups I'm quite happy with the finish. Will have to sand and polish out a couple runs (see "operator screw ups" above) but the paint flows nicely to a good hard durable finish.
Now its on to the cabin and decks.
All mechanicals are ready to go.
Hopefully still on target for a June ( this year ) launch.

Doug
Attachments
DSCN0341.JPG

red

Post by red »

looks great

slug

Post by slug »

Got my panel back from the printers yesterday and got all the holes filled up. Looks like it will be OK.
Working to get the cabin finished and painted so I can start to install some shiny stuff.
Doug[img][img][/img][/img]
Attachments
DSCN0345.JPG

ben2go

Post by ben2go »

That's a really nice panel.

slug

Post by slug »

Got the cabin painted this week. The roof will go on later next week. Starting to install (permanently :D ) some of the shiny stuff. Actually staarting to look possible for the June launch.
Doug

ps; Sorry for the quality of the pics, but there just isn't room to get back and get a good overall shot. There's only 1 1/2 feet at each end of the garage.
Attachments
DSCN0356.JPG
DSCN0353.JPG

DaveLott

Post by DaveLott »

SHARP :D . Anxious to see it on the water
Dave

Riviera build - the Midnight Cry Project
Glen-L Sea Kayak
Mahalo Standup Paddleboard

Video of Midnight in Action

Few things in the world measure up to the thrill and satisfaction of boating in a boat that you built.

Return to “Hankinson designs”