Ultra Pierre

A forum for contacting other builders of Ken Hankinson designs. These designs are now a part of the Glen-L family.

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, billy c

seadog

Ultra Pierre

Post by seadog »

Greetings! Any Ultra Pierre builders out there? Just got my plans in the mail and will be starting project when the snow melts. Would love to see some pictures as well.

Oyster

Re: Ultra Pierre

Post by Oyster »

I do not see any of these designs in the Archive section of the customer photos at this time. Most of the boats here are simular in their construction methods. So ask away if you have some questions.

mmorasci

Post by mmorasci »

I've been wanting to build a "St. Pierre" Dory for almost 30 years now, but kids and other activaties, kind of found thier way into my life. A couple of years ago I began to get serious again and decided to finally turn that old dream into reality. That's when I stumbled upon Ken's design for the Ultra Pierre and it was just about perfect for what I wanted. I purchased the plans and began to pour carefully over the details. We'll, now that the Kids are about grown, I've actually begun the build process. It isn't "exactly" an Ultra Pierre anymore though. I have been working with some local boat designers and builders here in my area to modify the plans to better fit my desire and while the lines will be true to Ken's design there have been some significant structural modifications as well as an adaptation to the Sail Plan. It's going well and I plan to have the Hull to a point by mid summer that I can "float it" and mark the actual water line. My goal is for an official christening next spring. I'd be happy to chat about the design and what I'm up to, or try to answer any questions. I'm by no means an expert just someone who has built a few boats (small craft, canoes, dingy's, sleds, etc.) and loves the design/build process. I can't wait to get on the water and try this one out.

mam

beancounter

Post by beancounter »

I too am interested in this design. I am wondering about the size of the cabin length and headroom. Also I would think if you build the power only version couldn't you skip that big rudder and just steer with the outboard propulsion. Lastly what size power are you guys gonna use? I am looking for a very seaworthy fuel sipping cruiser for fishing and beaching light and easy to tow and power and this appears a very good choice. Any help with this decision? I would hope for maybe 7-8 knots with a 15-25 hp outboard. Comments appreciated especially fro you guys with plans.

mmorasci

Post by mmorasci »

beancounter,

I think the original plans call for a full sitting headroom in the cabin. I don't have my mod's in front of me but if memory serves, mine'll be somewhere just over 5 feet (I think the original is slightly less but I have designed a steel bottom so am able to drop the deck and pick up some additional head room), with a "bunk length" around 7 1/2 feet. You can get pretty close by scaling the image right off the web site. Any higher and I think there'll be visability problems over the cabin top. For power I'm using a 13HP air cooled vertical shaft Honda (I had it installed in some garden equipment and found it to be very thrifty on fuel). I think I'll have the power for about 7 Konts and that's all i'm expecting. I'm mounting the engine on a short riser under the rear seat (to the starboard side) and running a jackshaft arrangement to the input of an old outboard motor downleg mounted in a special well at the transom interface. With my arrangement, the downleg is fixed, protected by the skeg. I'll loose a little storage in the stern locker but I can keep the deckspace completely open. To accomplish this arrangement, I have moved the Skeg slightly forward and the downleg/prop will be between the Skeg and the rudder. My experience with trying to "mid steer" yields poor control. The "turning effieciency" would be proportiaonal to the waterline length fore and aft of the prop position (you'ld be trying to push the boat sideways instead of swinging an end around) , so I'm opting to leave the rudder. Also with the motor up and out of the well (done for beaching) you'll have no steering at all.

Most all of my welding is complete so as soon as I fill the "bottom hull" with water (to check my welds for leaks), I'll put in the stem and start framing for the sides. Hope this helps, and good luck with your project. I'm sure having a lot of fun with this one.

mam

beancounter

Post by beancounter »

Thanks for the reply. Had not thought about the wells location on the steering but makes perfect sense do you think it would be hard to locate the well further aft and put some extra weight forward to compensate for the move.

mmorasci

Post by mmorasci »

I think all decisions in design have tradeoffs, and if your willing to live with them, then just about anything is possible (just mind the structural integrity). Yes you could move the well and reballast (that is what I have done). The "Ultra" gets narrow in the stern pretty fast so deck space and access can begin to be an issue depending on how far aft you want to go. There's a boat on the web, Beatrice is it's name (I believe, just look up Dory +Beatrice and you should find it), that the designers mounted an outdrive in a Transom well. It sure is a pretty boat, and you can look it up and find a lot of good pictures of the finished project as well as the build process (done down under). I poured over this design for quite some time but found the Ultra pierre much more to my likeing. Just about everything I've read suggests that ride and handling characteristics on a boat of this design can be altered dramatically with changes in weight and location of ballast down low (otherwise they can tend to be a bit "corky" by riding so high).

mam

Return to “Hankinson designs”