An Engine for my Belle Isle- A PLEA FOR HELP ???

A forum for contacting other builders of Ken Hankinson designs. These designs are now a part of the Glen-L family.

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, billy c

DickWilliams

An Engine for my Belle Isle- A PLEA FOR HELP ???

Post by DickWilliams » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:52 am

I am finally at a point where I have no choice but to purchase an engine for my Belle Isle Project. My goal from the beginning, (if I was happy enough with the quality of the build) was to purchase a new engine and I have pretty much decided to go with the Mercruiser 350 MAG mpi. I believe Billy Cunningham and Bob Perkins used this for their builds.

My plea for help here is due to the fact that I am in totally un-charted waters here (no pun intended) and I am really unclear on the best way to actually make this big, important and expensive ($$$) purchase! :? So I am hoping that some of you can offer me some guidance.

My questions fall into the following areas:
1. Should I just contact the nearest Mercury dealer and obtain a quote and make the purchase ?
2. Does anyone already know a really good and knowlegable dealer who I can trust to give me good info a good quote?
3. Should I consider one of these groups you find on the internet that sells boat engines -usually well below the price you would obtain with a dealer quote?
4. Should I consider a rebuilt engine, which are sometime available from Mercury at a lower price but come with some warranty?

Any advice anyone can provide on this topic would be greatly appreciated! I just don't know where to begin.... :mrgreen:

Thanks very much
Dick Williams

rasorinc

Re: An Engine for my Belle Isle- A PLEA FOR HELP ???

Post by rasorinc » Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:27 pm

Look here for a complete engine and do not pay more.. fohttp://www.michiganmotorz.com/conditions-of-use-i-88.htmlr

There are dozens of engine sellers on the web. These people have been around quite awhile. Their prices seem to me to be medium or slightly below. You want a turnkey engine where you only have to add oil....
Wood lasts generations.

kens

Post by kens » Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:07 pm

I have noticed that the salesmen at the major manufacturers give you the first quote as the price they want you to pay. Get them to return your call, and they come down in price. Their first quoted price is 20% too high or more.
call some Mercruiser dealers outside your area first and get their prices. Then, later, call your local guy and get him to come down to a price you already know as correct, no shipping for you that way, and, local warranty.
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

billy c

Post by billy c » Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:58 pm

call these guys just to get an idea of cost. they will be pretty close if not the best price on the Mercruiser as they sell quite a few http://dougrussell.com/
(Bob Perkins got his from them but he lives in MA so just drove over and picked it up.)
then shop locally with that price point as that is where you would prefer to buy and is easier to get warranty services etc.
-Billy
(insert Witty phrase here)
Billy's Belle Isle website

thudpucker

Post by thudpucker » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:42 am

I'd look around for a Dead-Fred with the engine you want.
You might have to do something with the engine, Heads, manifolds etc, but you'll get all the hardware and ideas you need from the original installation.

Bob Perkins

Post by Bob Perkins » Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:47 am

Doug Russell is by far the best pricing I found (at the time). I did have them ship the engine to New Hampshire (i.e. No sales tax) So shipping is not an issue for them. I've also purchased a Nissan outboard and a friend got an outboard there too.. We shopped and they still beat everyone.
Be sure to shop there.
Regards,
Bob Perkins

All the Fun Stuff
https://bperkins.wordpress.com/

Stevengould46

Post by Stevengould46 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 5:55 am

I bought from Doug Russell and have nothing to say but good things about their organization and price. I shopped for almost a year and they are the best price and offer good advice as well.

Return to “Hankinson designs”