Beading "Gimp"

To allow builders of Glen-L RV's to communicate and discuss their projects

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

Jim_in_Omaha

Beading "Gimp"

Postby Jim_in_Omaha » Tue Jan 03, 2006 6:42 am

I received my Glen-L Cascade plans yesterday. I noticed they talk about the beading "gimp" material used in interior seams that are visible. It reminded me of my dad's camper from the 70's (the copyright of the plans is 1970).
Is this still used today? And how do you get a quality bond of those joints that have beading in them? That is my main concern..
thanks again
Jim
thanks
Jim

csuh13

Postby csuh13 » Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:18 am

On the subject of Gimp, here's a question.

How do you finish it? If you are using metal Gimp at the junction of two wooden panels, would it just be there for all to see in it's metallic glory? Is it supposed to be painted?

Jim_in_Omaha

Postby Jim_in_Omaha » Wed Jan 25, 2006 4:23 pm

csuh13 wrote:On the subject of Gimp, here's a question.

How do you finish it? If you are using metal Gimp at the junction of two wooden panels, would it just be there for all to see in it's metallic glory? Is it supposed to be painted?

Don't know. I've been digging around for info on finishing with this stuff and have come up with nothing. Its probably something very simple. I have not found a source for it either. I did see it in a new Lance 1181 as a show.
thanks

Jim

csuh13

Postby csuh13 » Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:46 pm

I worked in a lumberyard back in high school (15 years back?) and I swear that we sold "gimp."

If I remember correctly, it was made of the same stuff that drywall corner bead was made of, with a galvanized coating.

Now I'm going to have to hit the hardware store at lunch!

Jim_in_Omaha

Postby Jim_in_Omaha » Thu Feb 02, 2006 4:06 pm

I had the seat in my Ford worked on at a upholstery shop. When I was paying them low and behold I noticed what appears to be the welting or "gimp" I have been looking for. Roll after roll in every imaginable color. He said that was called welting. Of course I knew where they used it. I just never thought about it before. He said they sell it by the foot the most at 50cents.
thanks

Jim

rvbilly

Postby rvbilly » Sat Jun 10, 2006 7:37 am

Hi guys, I have just about finished building my TNT boat and thought I would check out the RV forum, I have 3 years apprentise repairing RV`s and a RV Tech training degree course, the gimp I was used to useing in RV`s was allways a rubberized vinyl material, it is still used in new RV`s today, it is round with a flat section behind it that is stappled on the edge of framework, when the framework or walls are joined it hides the seams, it is posible to paint it but must be done before applying it to your application, I hope this helps anyone questioning this procedure, rvBilly.

Cornnutz

Postby Cornnutz » Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:31 am

Beading gimp (Welting) can be bought in most RV supply stores.
It is sold by the roll. :wink:

Return to “Glen-L RV's”