Which camper for truck?

To allow builders of Glen-L RV's to communicate and discuss their projects

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

Nebraska

Which camper for truck?

Postby Nebraska » Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:11 pm

I am wanting to build a truck camper this summer. I am having trouble choosing which plans I should purchase, due to not knowing how much weight my truck can handle. I have two mid 80's Chevy trucks, both 1/2 tons with 350s. But the one I will be using has 2 extra leafs on each leaf spring. My brother in law tells me that makes it a "heavy half ton". But I am unable to determine what this means in how much payload it will handle. Does anyone have experience with this and could tell me if it could handle the 1350lbs to 1700lbs of the 9ft to 11ft models?

Lowka53

Re: Which camper for truck?

Postby Lowka53 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:44 pm

:lol: I can not give you specifics but go with the truck with added leaf springs also add air shocks or load lifter shocks or both to it. I am not sure about the newer half ton but the older ones would carry most all campers with beefing up the suspension. Not all 1/2 tons have the same length in the bed area so that might be a consideration. The motors in both trucks are fine we have hauled campers with six cylinder trucks. remember most truck beds are 8 foot so anything past that will be over hang and cause more weight on the axle and the front end steering will loose weight. Make sure your heavy objects fixed and removable are placed in front of the axle or on it to help keep the weight balance. I don't know if this has helped but beefing up the suspension will help no matter which one you choose. One other point is on how far back the rear axle is mounted the farther back it is the better it will be on transferring the load forward. just my 2 cents and maybe somebody else will pipe in and get you some of there knowledge mine is just hands on trial and error :roll: :wink:
Don't be afraid to attempt anything. You might surprise your self in the attempt.
http://www.facebook.com/Home.Made.Boat.Building
Bon Voyage-"Wild Flower" 40' house boat being built
14' Mr John-being built
32' Supper Huck-in design

Rod H

Mr Hot Rod

Postby Mr Hot Rod » Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:43 pm

Each design listed in the Camper Plans section has a recommended truck capacity rating. In a nutshell, the 8 foot Acapulco and Bayou are well suited to 1/2 ton trucks. The 9' to 11' models recommend a 3/4 ton truck with increased cargo and braking capacity.

Your truck's Gross Vehicle Weight Ratio (GVWR) should be listed near the door jam area of your truck. The GVWR is the maximum weight of your fully loaded truck. Have your truck weighed with a full tank of gas at a public scale or truck stop. Subtracting the weight of your truck at the scale from your truck's GVWR will determine how much camper you can carry.

The following link provides good info on tire selection, brakes and Camper Center of Gravity (COG) :

Gayle sent us plans for the Bayou but we won't be starting it until the Palomino has been retired !

Living the Glen-L Dream : Build a Glen-L boat ... Build a Glen-L boat trailer ... Build a Glen-L truck camper :lol:

Building the Glen-L Hot Rod : http://www.kanecustomboats.com

Glen-L Boat Video Directory : http://www.kanecustomboats.com/pages/vi ... ctory.html

Nebraska

Postby Nebraska » Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:49 pm

Thank you for all the advice. I did forget to mention that my truck is a long bed.

I found this chart linked below that should be the same ratings as mine. According to it, my GVWR should be about 6200lbs. From other fourms, it looks like my truck should weigh anywhere from 3600lbs to 4200lbs. I will get my truck weighed at the dump this week, but I should be able to handle 2000lbs to 2600lbs+ since I have the extra leafs. I will finalize my decision in the next two weeks and order the Glen-L plans. I intend to document and take pictures of every step and post them here.

Thanks again for the info and links!

http://www.73-87.com/7387info/brochures/77chev_vs_ford15.jpg

steward147

Postby steward147 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:29 pm

The motors in both trucks are fine we have hauled campers with six cylinder trucks. remember most truck beds are 8 foot so anything past that will be over hang and cause more weight on the axle and the front end steering will loose weight. Make sure your heavy objects fixed and removable are placed in front of the axle or on it to help keep the weight balance. I don't know if this has helped but beefing up the suspension will help no matter which one you choose.
"steward"

Lowka53

Postby Lowka53 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:30 am

steward147 wrote:The motors in both trucks are fine we have hauled campers with six cylinder trucks. remember most truck beds are 8 foot so anything past that will be over hang and cause more weight on the axle and the front end steering will loose weight. Make sure your heavy objects fixed and removable are placed in front of the axle or on it to help keep the weight balance. I don't know if this has helped but beefing up the suspension will help no matter which one you choose.

:? my i don't know if i should flattered that somebody typed word for word what I had already posted or be mad that they didn't have a original thought :roll:
my post: Lowka53
Post subject: Re: Which camper for truck?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:44 pm

:lol: I can not give you specifics but go with the truck with added leaf springs also add air shocks or load lifter shocks or both to it. I am not sure about the newer half ton but the older ones would carry most all campers with beefing up the suspension. Not all 1/2 tons have the same length in the bed area so that might be a consideration. The motors in both trucks are fine we have hauled campers with six cylinder trucks. remember most truck beds are 8 foot so anything past that will be over hang and cause more weight on the axle and the front end steering will loose weight. Make sure your heavy objects fixed and removable are placed in front of the axle or on it to help keep the weight balance. I don't know if this has helped but beefing up the suspension will help no matter which one you choose. One other point is on how far back the rear axle is mounted the farther back it is the better it will be on transferring the load forward. just my 2 cents and maybe somebody else will pipe in and get you some of there knowledge mine is just hands on trial and error :roll: :wink:

Rod H
Don't be afraid to attempt anything. You might surprise your self in the attempt.
14' Mr John-being built

Rod H

leakcheck

Postby leakcheck » Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:32 pm

HAHA Lowka !! He probably wanted to quote you and then make a comment on your post but his comment never came through!!! SO he ended up making you sound like a genius! That is something none of us has been able to do before! :wink: :roll: :shock: :? 8) :lol: :P

Lowka53

Postby Lowka53 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:12 pm

leakcheck wrote:HAHA Lowka !! He probably wanted to quote you and then make a comment on your post but his comment never came through!!! SO he ended up making you sound like a genius! That is something none of us has been able to do before! :wink: :roll: :shock: :? 8) :lol: :P

:lol: what make me sound like a genius :lol: never happen :wink: I am just a old farm boy with a lot of life experiences 8) :?Must be my turn to get picked on your next leak
14' Mr John-being built

Rod H

Return to “Glen-L RV's”