Everglade

To allow builders of Glen-L RV's to communicate and discuss their projects

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

dan8089

Everglade

Post by dan8089 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:18 am

Just picked up a set of plans for the everglade.
Haven't decided if it is going to be a camper or modified into a motor home since I have a dead class c rotting away in the back yard and only a 3/4 ton standard cab truck (seems kinda small)
Wondering if people are using glue and what kind?
was thinking of using gorilla glue
I'm also planing on using 1" staples from both sides to hold the framing together.

Giaka

Re: Everglade

Post by Giaka » Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:00 pm

I am using Gorilla wood glue and T-88 epoxy. Gorilla to assemble the frame and the T-88 to attach the plywood to the studs.

dan8089

Post by dan8089 » Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:59 pm

Giaka wrote:I am using Gorilla wood glue and T-88 epoxy. Gorilla to assemble the frame and the T-88 to attach the plywood to the studs.
That's good to know! It seems to me that Gorilla glue is one of the best glues on the market right now. I started rebuilding an old motor home a while back and I used no glue on the framing and common construction adhesive to hold the plywood to the framing. I have since determined that's not the way to go. The Motor home is now parts for the camper and i have found that most of the glue on the plywood didn't hold.
I was thinking of using gorilla glue to hold the plywood as well but I will also look into the t-88 epoxy

Rookbird

Post by Rookbird » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:07 pm

What is the advantage of T-88 epoxy over Gorilla glue? They seem to both have the same strength and water resistance.

Giaka

Post by Giaka » Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:25 am

Rookbird wrote:What is the advantage of T-88 epoxy over Gorilla glue? They seem to both have the same strength and water resistance.
The only things I can think of is being epoxy it might be more resistant to fuels or solvents and may hold up better over age? T-88, Gorilla Glue and Liquid Nails Heavy Duty all seem to have about the same holding ability. When I glued some scraps together and broke them all, it seemed like all the glues pulled the same amount of wood and none of them broke at the "glue" joint.

thudpucker

Post by thudpucker » Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:20 pm

What's an Everglade look like. Post a photo.
:? I couldn't sign into the Customer's photos.

dan8089

Post by dan8089 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:03 am

After doing some research on glues it appears that epoxy may not be flexible enough. I used liquid nails on a motor home once but did not like the results that I received. When glued items were later taken apart the bead of glue had not compressed to my liking and the joint came apart with little difficulty in all areas except the floor which was screwed and glued. I am thinking about using Gorilla polyurethane glue but I am not sure about getting the parts damp prior to gluing.
I will probably try a few samples before I make a final decision.

dan8089

Post by dan8089 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:11 am

thudpucker wrote:What's an Everglade look like. Post a photo.
:? I couldn't sign into the Customer's photos.
I have not started building my camper yet but here is a picture of the one that inspired me to buy the Everglade plans

The whole camper was very well done and I would recommend viewing the rest of his pic's located at
http://glen-l.com/campers/rv-picboard/rvpic16a.html

Return to “Glen-L RV's”