New guy building modified cascade

To allow builders of Glen-L RV's to communicate and discuss their projects

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

Giaka

New guy building modified cascade

Postby Giaka » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:55 am

Hello everyone just want to pop in an mention that I picked up a set of Cascade plans about a month ago and started construction last week. Its a bit modified as we plan to use it in our Ram 1500 short bed. Trying to keep things light but stuff sure adds up fast.

No plans for a heater or conventional hot water heater or even conventional RV electrics (that stuff is heavy and darn expensive). We have been tent camping for the last 10 years and decided we wanted something a little nicer to sleep in. Electrics will probably be all 12 volt with a single or dual battery with a 100 watt solar panel on the roof. Water might eventually be solar for heat but basically just the sink with a port to connect a external gray tank.

I have shorten the floor down to 8.5 feet and changed the overall shape of the front for better aerodynamics (I hope). I also shorten the camper height (Im just under 6 foot, wife is under 5 foot) so it will fit in our garage in case the homeowners association gets their panties in a wad over a "camper" in the back of my truck. We "might" put a shower in the corner as this is the ONLY request from the wife. I think its doable. I am using deck screws, gorilla glue and T88 epoxy. I have ordered all the windows and the main door which arrive today (talk about expensive).

My building experiences consist of two wooden airplanes, 2 composite airplanes and helping on a wooden boats. This is my first RV project.

Question, I had plan to use thin plywood skin on the outside with filon covering. Has anyone else done this? I just don't dig the corrugated aluminum look at all, it looks so 70s. :D

I'm going to attempt to post some pics

Giaka

Re: New guy building modified cascade

Postby Giaka » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:36 pm

Another pic of the inside skin.

Bob Maskel

Postby Bob Maskel » Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:09 pm

Great, welcome and thanks for posting!! It will be fun to watch the build of an RV!!
Bob
Sea Knight on the water/Malahini in progress

Giaka

Postby Giaka » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:23 pm

When I got home today brown have left some stuff at my door. Windows, hatches and a door, oh my......

That's just scotch tape on the door window holding one of the keys.

Bob Maskel

Postby Bob Maskel » Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:55 pm

Fun once some of those parts show up and go on and it starts to look like what you are hoping for!!
Bob

Giaka

Postby Giaka » Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:45 pm

Side two frame up tonight. Plan to install the plywood skin tomorrow. The windows and hatch fit the frames almost like I planned it that way. :D

Giaka

Postby Giaka » Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:52 pm

Building the uprights and wings today. Time for a break, I am running out of gas. LOL Need a cot in the garage. :wink:

Everything temporarily attached to check the fit.

Bob Maskel

Postby Bob Maskel » Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:22 pm

Looking good! You are making some pretty quick progress...
Bob

TUGMYWAY

Postby TUGMYWAY » Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:18 pm

I have a slide-in built in 1992.( Not a Glen-L) Will you please use LOTS of Glue!! It is all coming apart!!! Your build is looking good!!

Giaka

Postby Giaka » Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:45 pm

Thanks. Yeap I sometimes think I am using to much glue but with 100% squeeze out I must be using about the right amount. :D Using T88 epoxy in the "higher stress" areas. Tomorrow I need to flip the lower upside down and prime and paint it for water protection.

Giaka

Postby Giaka » Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:43 pm

A little more progress today. Mounted the uprights from the floor and played around with door positioning. Also built the box for sink and shower plumbing. I flipped the bottom on its side and applied three coats of oil based gloss to try and help with water resistance.

Bob Maskel

Postby Bob Maskel » Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:31 pm

wow, you are sure making progress.....wish I was that fast with my boat!!!!
Bob

Giaka

Postby Giaka » Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:46 pm

Bob Maskel wrote:wow, you are sure making progress.....wish I was that fast with my boat!!!!

There is a lot more to building a boat than a box you slide into the back of a truck. :D I would like to build a small "lake" boat or fishing boat next. My son wants to build a teardrop camper to pull behind his mini cooper so that will probably come before the boat.

Bob Maskel

Postby Bob Maskel » Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:55 pm

Giaka wrote: My son wants to build a teardrop camper to pull behind his mini cooper so that will probably come before the boat.
That should be fun building, plus he has something he can use too...the boat I am working on now is for my son...I missed the building part and he said he'd use it...that teardrop should be cool...painted to match the mini!!
Bob

dan8089

Postby dan8089 » Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:03 pm

Wow your not wasting no time!
Lookin' good I especially like the side profile.
as for your siding choice it has been done before and from what I can tell it looks to be successful. The only downside is there will be additional weight.

Return to “Glen-L RV's”