New guy building modified cascade

To allow builders of Glen-L RV's to communicate and discuss their projects

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

Giaka

Re: New guy building modified cascade

Post by Giaka » Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:48 pm

Added the wings tonight. After they dry I can attack them with the router and true up the edges.

darthplywood

Post by darthplywood » Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:27 am

looking really good so far!
Built the 17' Glen-L "Sea Knight"
yet to come...11' Glen-L "Utility"

Giaka

Post by Giaka » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:52 am

Started construction of the front wall last night after trimming up the wings. Should be able to finish it tonight then its time to attach the side walls. Then the real work begins. :mrgreen:

Bob Maskel

Post by Bob Maskel » Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:12 am

Giaka wrote:Then the real work begins. :mrgreen:
Yeah, its like building a boat...you spend all this time and work doing the hull, upside down, and it looks like a boat...and you think you are making all this progress.....and you turn it over and WHOA :shock: its a big empty shell and there is a whole lot more to be done!!!!! :) Sure is enjoyable seeing them come along though!

You are progressing quickly, it is fun to see it coming together...
Bob
Sea Knight on the water/Malahini in progress

Giaka

Post by Giaka » Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:07 am

Trimmed the front wall then leveled and attached side walls tonight. Things just got real. :lol: Its exciting at this point. Its easier to sit inside and visualize what I am doing.

darthplywood

Post by darthplywood » Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:16 am

man! you arent wasting any time. That is really coming together nicely! I hope you plan on bringing it to the gathering next year! I would love to see some Glen-L RV's and campers start showing up! VERY NICE!!
Built the 17' Glen-L "Sea Knight"
yet to come...11' Glen-L "Utility"

Bob Maskel

Post by Bob Maskel » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:19 am

wow, you make it look easy!! You are really going quickly...I may have to give this some thought...thanks for showing us your progress...my van has 234,700 miles on it, and while it has life left, it won't last forever. This gives me some ideas as to what vehicle I may want afterwards...a pickup would certainly work if I did something like what you are doing!!
Bob
Sea Knight on the water/Malahini in progress

Giaka

Post by Giaka » Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:30 am

Not a lot of visible progress this past weekend. We spent 4 days tent camping in the eastern sierras. Anyway I got the windows framed up and cutout and added corner blocks here and there. Also sealed up several seams with liquidnails heavy duty. The wife and I sat in the thing after returning from our camping trip and finalized the floor-plan we thought would work best. I had drawn up three possible floor-plans and I am at a point that I need to start building interior walls. So with decisions made its time for sawdust to fly once more. :D Here are some pics from last night.

dan8089

Post by dan8089 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:01 am

Looking good!
Ill be getting started on mine just as soon as I get my car fixed and out of the garage

Giaka

Post by Giaka » Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:13 am

Built and installed my first interior wall last night. woot!

Giaka

Post by Giaka » Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:14 pm

A little progress this weekend. Got the coutertop support framed up and the coutertop cut out. Also built the enclosure for the propane tank. Did a few other small jobs that really are nothing to look at. In the end all the small jobs add up I guess. :lol:

This is the formica I picked for the countertop and dining table.

wingnut2840

Post by wingnut2840 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:05 am

Hey, project looks great so far.

I'm in the process of redesigning and combining two of the plans (Importer and Acupulco) and I was curious which fastening process you are using to join the frame member pieces together? Are you using the suggested method with the corrugated staple fasteners, or something else? Also, what thickness of skins (inside and out) did you use? Are you planning on covering the outside with Filon or aluminum, or do you plan on using something else such as fiberglass or just paint? I"m trying to figure out what will be the most structurally sound and lightweight method. I really don't care for the aluminum skin, it seems outdated to me. I'm leaning towards the Filon. I'm wondering if I could just use 1/8 okume sheeting on the inside and outside with the Filon, in the hopes of decreasing the weight, but still have the strength. I'm planning on glueing the entire surface of each wall, kinda like the sandwich core method.

Thanks for the build thread, it's really getting me excited to start on mine! Keep up the great work!
If the women don't find you handsome, they better find you handy.... ;)

Giaka

Post by Giaka » Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:33 pm

Hi Wingnut, I tried the little courgated nails but quickly realized why they went the way of the dodo. I used either t-88 epoxy or the Kreg pocket hole jig http://www.kregtool.com/Pocket-Hole-Jigs-Prodlist.html When I used the pocket holes I also use the t-88. I have been using t-88 and Gorilla Wood glue throughout the entire project with some liquid nails heavy duty (outdoor stuff) in some places.

I am using 1/4 inch on the inside and plan to use 1/8 inch and filon on the outside. I was planning to paint the outside but the wife said no, use filon it looks more professional. :mrgreen: The plywood skins are attached with a mixture of t-88 in higher stress areas (junction of the lower over-cab spar and verticals) and gorilla wood glue. I am using a finish nail gun with various length nails to attach them. In areas of higher stress (attaching side walls to wings, etc) I am using deck screws along with enough glue to get a good amount of squeeze out.

I have done some testing on the three glues I am using and they all seem to pull about the same amount of wood when forced to the breaking point. If she falls apart I have no idea how I could have done it any better. :lol: Everything "seems" to be pretty solid.

waynerdoodle

Post by waynerdoodle » Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:30 pm

Looking good. Ordered plans for the Acapulco for my 1/2 ton truck. What do you estimate your build cost at? I am quessing if I use aluminum siding, and rv appliances that it will cost me $7-10k. Can you post a list of your suppliers?

Giaka

Post by Giaka » Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:32 pm

waynerdoodle wrote:Can you post a list of your suppliers?
LOL So far, Home Depot, Lowes and Ebay. I am trying to avoid any storefront with the word RV in it. RV parts are almost as bad as airplane parts. Senseless markup on silly, cheaply made stuff. New windows like my large ones are over $400 each. I paid $55 + shipping and they are new. Ebay can be great.

Didn't feel like woodworking tonight so I laminated the countertop. Haven't done any countertop work in over 20 years. It came out OK, not perfect but it will do this time around. Its all a learning process right?

Return to “Glen-L RV's”