cabover shell?

To allow builders of Glen-L RV's to communicate and discuss their projects

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

dextermobile

cabover shell?

Postby dextermobile » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:37 am

What are the drawbacks to building a pickup truck camper shell, rather than a slide-in, as a cabover ? I've found many plans for slide's and so on, but never anything like a simple shell that would include a cabover compartment. I'm wondering whether there's an inherent problem that prevents this.

thanks for your time
jg

Lowka53

Re: cabover shell?

Postby Lowka53 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:09 pm

main problem is loss of cabinet space in lower areas and you will also have leakage problems where the shell meets the truck bed. it can be done there has been commercially made shells but I have never seen one that goes over the cab. :wink:
Don't be afraid to attempt anything. You might surprise your self in the attempt.
http://www.facebook.com/Home.Made.Boat.Building
Bon Voyage-"Wild Flower" 40' house boat being built
14' Mr John-being built
32' Supper Huck-in design

Rod H

dextermobile

Postby dextermobile » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:51 am

thanks! what I'm particularly worried about is whether the cab-over component might exert too much leverage on the shell where it mounts to the bed rails. the "normal" cab-over campers, being slides, have much more mass to offset that leverage; while the shell would have to overcome that leverage with only the mounting to the rail. So i'm wondering whether you never see such cab-over shells because that's too big a problem.

Giaka

Postby Giaka » Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:23 pm

I would think it would OK as long as you don't make the cab over section to long. Also you need to make the side stringers (A and B in the stick drawing) full length to carry the load and more importantly spread the load. I guess its hard to say if the bed of the truck will be strong enough and I guess that depends on how much weight you put in the cab over area? Then again I see a lot of bed mounted utility frames on trucks carrying all kinds of crazy weight.

Check the attached pic, it can be done obviously. :mrgreen:
Attachments
CabOverCamper02.jpg

Geor

Postby Geor » Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:58 pm

There's a company in Calif that makes several different models of cab-over shells.
http://belairshells.com/camping_shells

Return to “Glen-L RV's”