Moderator: Bill Edmundson

Giaka

Re: Building Modified Importer

Post by Giaka » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:29 am

Awesome!!!!

Lowka53

Post by Lowka53 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:51 pm

:lol: showing off our beautiful state that area looks familiar. great job on your camper just in time for the season :wink: 8)
Don't be afraid to attempt anything. You might surprise your self in the attempt.
http://www.facebook.com/Home.Made.Boat.Building
Bon Voyage-"Wild Flower" 40' house boat being built
14' Mr John-being built
32' Supper Huck-in design

Rod H

Geor

Post by Geor » Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:12 pm

Lowka53 wrote::lol: showing off our beautiful state that area looks familiar. great job on your camper just in time for the season :wink: 8)
That was along the Jordan River Parkway in Riverton.

Lowka53

Post by Lowka53 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:18 pm

Geor wrote:
Lowka53 wrote::lol: showing off our beautiful state that area looks familiar. great job on your camper just in time for the season :wink: 8)
That was along the Jordan River Parkway in Riverton.
I knew it looked familiar :wink: 8)
Don't be afraid to attempt anything. You might surprise your self in the attempt.
http://www.facebook.com/Home.Made.Boat.Building
Bon Voyage-"Wild Flower" 40' house boat being built
14' Mr John-being built
32' Supper Huck-in design

Rod H

jpb54

Post by jpb54 » Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:51 pm

Did you ever come up with the weight ?

Geor

Post by Geor » Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:27 pm

Weight came in at 522 pounds.

Old aussie

Post by Old aussie » Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:32 am

Well done looks great.

Old Aussie Peter....

Radocamp

Post by Radocamp » Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:58 pm

Geor wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:27 pm
Weight came in at 522 pounds.
Hi Geor,
New guy around here. Hoping you’re still around the site. You’ve been a few years with your Modified Importer. Do you still have it? If so, you still liking it? Has it served you well? Do you have any build/modification notes that you might be willing to share? I’m thinking of doing something real similar to what you did for my 2015 Colorado. How tall is yours from the part that is over the rails of your pickup bed?

Do you have any inside pics? Do you have pics in the members pics area? Not sure if there is anything you can do but a number of your pics wouldn’t show up for me. Guess I haven’t looked since I joined the site here tonight. I’ve seen this problem before where photo hosting sites “lock up” or “lose” pics on other forums of older posts.

Thanks

Geor

Post by Geor » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:46 pm

The whole build is on Tacomaworld.com https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/bui ... ns.192268/
You may have to create an user account to see the photos. The photos on this website were linked to my personal web account which I no longer have as I changed service providers, but all the photos on tacomaworld on on their web server.

The height under the wing is 19" although I had it listed a tacomaworld as 18.5" I later bought a Colorado LT long bed and had to put a 3.5" spacer under camper to clear the side rails on the Colorado.

One thing that my camper being 81" long made the center balance point behind the rear axle so the front end of the truck was a bit light Okay when I just had the camper on, but bad with pulling the little trailer you see in this photo. Weight Distributing Hitch solved that.

To mount this on the Colorado I had to install some heavy tie downs in the front of the bed. I did this by removing the front bed bolts from underneath the truck, drilling up through the bed and placing longer bolts that stuck up into the bed and then put heavy duty eye nuts with a locking nut to cinch them. For the back tie downs I just drill down through the bed and put 6" of u-channel under to spread the force out. It was easier on the Tacoma because all the bed bolts are on top of the bed.

I traded the Long bed Colorado in and now have a Crew cab ZR2 which only has a 5' bed. So I'm not able to use the camper now. I may sell it.

Radocamp

Post by Radocamp » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:08 pm

Geor wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:46 pm
The whole build is on Tacomaworld.com https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/bui ... ns.192268/
You may have to create an user account to see the photos. The photos on this website were linked to my personal web account which I no longer have as I changed service providers, but all the photos on tacomaworld on on their web server.

The height under the wing is 19" although I had it listed a tacomaworld as 18.5" I later bought a Colorado LT long bed and had to put a 3.5" spacer under camper to clear the side rails on the Colorado.

One thing that my camper being 81" long made the center balance point behind the rear axle so the front end of the truck was a bit light Okay when I just had the camper on, but bad with pulling the little trailer you see in this photo. Weight Distributing Hitch solved that.

To mount this on the Colorado I had to install some heavy tie downs in the front of the bed. I did this by removing the front bed bolts from underneath the truck, drilling up through the bed and placing longer bolts that stuck up into the bed and then put heavy duty eye nuts with a locking nut to cinch them. For the back tie downs I just drill down through the bed and put 6" of u-channel under to spread the force out. It was easier on the Tacoma because all the bed bolts are on top of the bed.

I traded the Long bed Colorado in and now have a Crew cab ZR2 which only has a 5' bed. So I'm not able to use the camper now. I may sell it.

Thank you,
I’m afraid I worded my question on height very poorly. I was looking for the height from the ceiling at the side down to where the main body overhangs the bedsides? Looking from the back the sides step out over the bed rails. It’s that height I was inquiring about, bed overhang to ceiling, or setting headroom, if you have a bunk on the side. I’ll look into the Tacoma site. I’m looking to keep the length inside the bed so that I can keep the tailgate on my Colorado as it is a Z71 and I don’t want to mess with the rear camera. I left the tailgate down on a previous pickup and ended up having to repaint it after it getting sand blasted from road dirt. My Colorado is a 2015 long bed crew cab Z71. Your attachment info helps as I was wondering about attachment to the pickup.

Thank you again,
Mark

Geor

Post by Geor » Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:43 pm

Here's the dimensions. I bought another tailgate camera from chevy and mounted it on the camper so when I took off the tailgate I'd just plug that in.
Here's a photo showing the camera next to the steps bracket.
IMG_5602a.jpg
https://www.gmpartsdirect.com/oem-parts ... QtZGllc2Vs

Radocamp

Post by Radocamp » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:42 pm

Geor wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:43 pm
Here's the dimensions. I bought another tailgate camera from chevy and mounted it on the camper so when I took off the tailgate I'd just plug that in.
Here's a photo showing the camera next to the steps bracket.
IMG_5602a.jpg
https://www.gmpartsdirect.com/oem-parts ... QtZGllc2Vs
Nice solution for the camera. Don’t have to worry about sealing the truck side connector when tailgate off and maintains camera function with camper loaded. I’m reading your full write up on your camper build. Great job.

Geor

Post by Geor » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:00 pm

One thing I'd do different would be to not put a dome light in the center of the ceiling. I keep bumping my head on it. I'd make it taller too. Stooping gets to be a drag. I've thought about getting a Gofast camper for the ZR2.

Return to “Glen-L RV's”