Importer Build

To allow builders of Glen-L RV's to communicate and discuss their projects

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

neil-g

Importer Build

Post by neil-g » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:09 pm

I am in the middle of an Importer build. I am coming to the forum a little late, but wanted to post some pictures of what I have gotten done so far.

I am following the plans and build sheet from glen-l with a couple of exceptions. Mostly I am paring down the camper from the original plans. My end goal is to have a light, well insulated camper, primarily for winter camping. So, to that end I am omitting the plumbing and most of the cabinetry. I am planning on using the camper with a 2007 Nissan Frontier so the plan had to be adjusted slightly to accommodate the clearance of the truck (I had to raise the cabover section about 3 inches to fit the truck)

The photos below show the initial framing of the camper. I used 3/8 ACX plywood. It was easy to source and relatively cheap. I followed the instructions and used wood glue and corrugated fastners for most of the frame work. Nothing fancy, but it came out true and is plenty sturdy.
Attachments
Framing backwall.JPG
photo (14).JPG
photo (6).JPG

areame

Re: Importer Build

Post by areame » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:16 pm

Looks good!

neil-g

Post by neil-g » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:17 pm

This shows about the only cabinet work that I am doing on the build. This shows the furnace and propane compartment going together. Again, nothing fancy, just 1x2s and 3/8 acx. The furnace and propane box came from a second hand rv store in Cour'd Alene ID.
Attachments
photo (19).JPG
photo (16).JPG
photo (18).JPG

neil-g

Post by neil-g » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:24 pm

This shows the insulation and skin going on. I am using foam insulation (1/2 inch sides, 2 inch ceiling) with vapor barrier and 20 gauge aluminum sheeting for the exterior. The fastners are a self-sealing stainless steel screw and washer product from fastenal. The aluminum is coming for the local fabrication supply shop. Edges are lapped and sealed with butyl rubber.
Attachments
photo (15).JPG
P1000129.JPG
P1000131.JPG

iowaguy

Post by iowaguy » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:09 pm

Looks good, thinking of doing one of these for my Dakota.

neil-g

Post by neil-g » Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:17 am

I had some time this weekend to get some work done on the camper. I was able to get the rubber roofing on, attach most of the trim and install the door and windows.

I had never worked with EPDM roofing before. One thing that I learned was that it needs to set fully before you try and install the rain gutter. Seems like a no-brainer in retrospect, but I started working it a little too early and the edge of the roofing lifted just a little. No real harm done, but if I had it to do over I would wait a full day after install to touch it.

The doors and windows all came from a salvage shop, they look a little dated but are in fine working order.
Attachments
P1000144.JPG
Side window
P1000143.JPG
Back door installed
P1000138.JPG
Rubber roofing installed

neil-g

interior

Post by neil-g » Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:52 am

So I got a bit sidetracked with my silly job...these photos show the mostly finished interior. I sanded the panels down, primed it and started in on the trim work. I am using dark mahogany trim I salvaged from an old chris craft when I used to work at a ship yard. The old timers there used to love the bright white interiors with a little dark trim, thought I would see how it worked in a truck camper. I still have a bunch more to put up, mostly in the corners.
Attachments
P1000181.JPG
Window trimmed out, and mattress in.
P1000178.JPG
Cooking area: metal counter top trimmed out and 12volt breaker panel installed.
P1000177.JPG
This shows the sink setup, I cut a hole in an old mixing bowl and plumbed it into a water jug...hopefully it is totally freeze proof!

neil-g

Test drive

Post by neil-g » Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:04 am

Just got the camper on the truck today, took it out on a short little 4x4 trail around my house, the truck did great with the camper! The photos dont really do the steepness of the trail justice, it really is pretty steep.
Attachments
P1000175.JPG
P1000185.JPG
P1000189.JPG

Dave Grason

Post by Dave Grason » Sat Nov 09, 2013 4:14 pm

It looks from here like you've really done an excellent job, Neil. For me personally, I wish more and more RV builders would chime in here and help stir up more interest in Glen-L RV designs. Not only do the Glen designs have a little something for everybody but the designs themselves are very reasonably modified to suit particular needs. Your camper is a superb example. Keep up the good work and keep us in the loop with the photos and progress.

Kudos again!
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

neil-g

Post by neil-g » Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:54 pm

Dave,
Thanks for the input. I absolutely agree that these designs suit themselves to a lot of different applications. I bought both the acapulco and importer plans and thought they were both excellent plans. Glen-L does a great job with their plans. The importer plans were really easy to change up just a bit to make exactly the camper I wanted. I feel like what I was after (a very simple hard sided camper) wasn't really even available for purchase anywhere.

Neil

neil-g

Post by neil-g » Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:11 pm

I just wanted to give a quick overview of what my (very simple) camper build cost.

Lumber-$507.82
Aluminum-$344.42
Fasteners(exterior)-$154.66
Doors, Furnace, Windows(salvaged)-$300
Electrical-$270.40
Aluminum exterior trim and EPDM roofing-$576.73
Misc(paint,supplies,etc)-$563.31
Total Cost=$2717.34

I am a farmer and used a lot of scrap lumber and bits and pieces so this cost should probably go up a bit for someone who doesn't have access to a bunch of random junk. That being said, I think getting into a camper for around $3k-$4k is super reasonable. Especially for exactly the camper you would like to have. I am not saying this is what it will cost you to build this camper, but when I was looking around trying to figure this project out, I couldn't find any numbers. So, hopefully this will give someone a little bit of an idea of what a stripped down winter camper costs.

Neil
Last edited by neil-g on Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

AusDevil

Post by AusDevil » Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:47 am

Very glad to see an update of your project, you have done a great job and at a fantastic price, it looks really good on the back of your utility.
The Glen-l plans are very clear and easy to follow especially with the very detailed instructions that accompany them, also they are easy to modify to suit yourself just as you have done.
I'm just at the start of my build and am hoping to complete it over 12 to 24 month period as I'm hoping to source some of the more expensive components on the second hand market.
I'm curious on what method your using to fasten the camper to your truck bed, I would imagine knowing earlier in the build where and how you anchor your unit would make it easier to prepare anchor points early in the build.
For detailed up to date build information go to:
http://slidecamper.com

areame

Post by areame » Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:11 am

Thanks for the pricing specs, cool project.

neil-g

Post by neil-g » Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:56 am

AusDevil:

Great question. The plans state that the whole thing should be bolted to the bed of the truck....I wasn't planning on drilling holes in my truck bed. Originally, I built with the idea that I would use frame mounted tie downs from "Tork-Lift". I had a pair on my full sized truck/camper years ago and they were fantastic. They are wonderfully strong and easy to use. They actually have a picture on their website of the tie downs holding a truck up in the air after a roll over accident with a truck camper. However, after getting my camper mostly built and realizing how light it was going to be I decided that I could get away with a less aggressive approach.

I figured out the capacity for the interior factory hold downs in my truck bed and found some appropriately sized turnbuckles. Then I placed U-bolts with backers along a structural beam in the box section of the camper. I had to add access doors at each turnbuckle location so I could reach through. After the camper is set in the bed I just open up the access doors and attach and tighten the turnbuckles. The turnbuckles are rated at 400 pounds safe working load each (so probably their breaking strength or MBL is closer to 2000 lbs or more). I am assuming the camper weighs less than 600lbs probably closer to 400lbs, I havent put it over a scale yet. So I have 4 turnbuckles that could easily hold the weight of the camper at each corner without breaking. I feel it is an appropriate system and it is all inside, which makes it nice and clean looking.
Attachments
P1000176.JPG
this shows the tie downs on the drivers side of the camper looking forward

AusDevil

Post by AusDevil » Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:34 am

Thanks for the info and pictures, I'm also thinking of something similar to get that clean look,
however I'm not keen on doors in the camper tub sides.
One Idea I have is to have a plate that is bolted to the camper floor above the tow ball and connected to that "somehow". as one of the tie down points.
I'm close to assembling the sides and wings to the floor now so I will plonk the whole lot in the vehicle
and see what it looks like and how much access I'll have.
Thanks again.
For detailed up to date build information go to:
http://slidecamper.com

Return to “Glen-L RV's”