Building modified Everglade in Australia

To allow builders of Glen-L RV's to communicate and discuss their projects

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

AusDevil

Building modified Everglade in Australia

Post by AusDevil » Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:33 am

Hi, my name is Richard I live in Tasmania one of the most pristine and beautiful places in the world, but enough of that.

I received the plans just over a week ago and am very keen to get stuck in though I'm trying to build it as economically as possible which for me means lucky finds or recycled parts except for the timber which will be new.

I have had extraordinary luck so far on Gumtree and especially the recycle shop in Glenorchy a suburb of Hobart an hours drive from home.

Some of my friends and family have been very curious so I have started a website which will follow the construction of the Everglade from planning, parts acquisition and assembly with plenty of photos. http://slidecamper.com
I have started construction and finding the whole experience most enjoyable.
I must say I'm very happy with the plans , really comprehensive instructions with great tips as well, so if your reading this and have thought about building your own all I can say is go for it, I reckon if you know how to use a tape measure hammer, saw and screw driver your almost there.
I have spent the last few weeks browsing these forums and have picked up an immense amount of info from here and the boat section that will assist me with my build.
So glad I came across Glen_l.
Last edited by AusDevil on Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
For detailed up to date build information go to:
http://slidecamper.com

AusDevil

Re: Building modified Everglade in Australia

Post by AusDevil » Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:14 am

I have made a good start on my project, after making the entrance door and Gas bottle enclosure I've just started on the sides, plenty of images at the web site in my first post.
Last edited by AusDevil on Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dave Grason

Post by Dave Grason » Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:09 pm

I'm so glad that you're building this design. I wish more people would build Glen-L RVs, campers and such.

I also like the start you've gotten on your website. I know it's going to look good and be full of great information for other potential builders. You mentioned that you will need to convert your thinking to feet and inches. Would you just rather have someone in the states send you a couple of tape measures? Let me know and I can do that. It would certainly simplify things.
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

AusDevil

Post by AusDevil » Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:28 am

Dave Grason wrote:I'm so glad that you're building this design. I wish more people would build Glen-L RVs, campers and such.

I also like the start you've gotten on your website. I know it's going to look good and be full of great information for other potential builders. You mentioned that you will need to convert your thinking to feet and inches. Would you just rather have someone in the states send you a couple of tape measures? Let me know and I can do that. It would certainly simplify things.
Thanks for your kind words,thought I could hear an echo when I made my last entry here, all the action is on the other side with those things that float on water.
You and me both , I find it fascinating looking over other peoples RV builds and pick up lots of good ideas and tips.
Very generous of you to offer to send over a tape measure I've been using an old imperial tape that I've had for over 30 years and it fell apart just the other day but it still had enough sting in it to give me a nasty slap.
I managed to find a duel Metric/Imperial tape measure at the hardware store it's making life a lot easier now.
I'm having a ball building this thing and I will be posting more pictures soon.
PS. I actually enjoy the boat forums too.

Dave Grason

Post by Dave Grason » Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:49 am

The other day, I was noticing an item in the news where they said that the number 1 choice of weapons among America's street gangs is the 9mm. I thought to myself, "Wow, it sure is heartwarming to see America's youth finally embracing the metric system." :lol:

Seriously, it is amazing the way we Americans, who quite arrogantly consider ourselves to be living in the most modern, enlightened and advanced country on earth, have staunchly refused to accept the metric system across the board. I myself have noted so many times just how silly measuring things in feet and inches is when the metric system is so simple and straight forward.

I do all the maintenance work on the family cars. When I do, my mother always wants to come out and hand me tools. All our cars are Volvos. (metric) So I line all the wrenches and sockets in order and all I have to do is call out a number and she's right on it. When I work on my Harley, not so much. My mom doesn't know if a nine, sixteenths is bigger than a half or what.
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

DesmoDog

Post by DesmoDog » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:14 am

Dave Grason wrote:Seriously, it is amazing the way we Americans, who quite arrogantly consider ourselves to be living in the most modern, enlightened and advanced country on earth, have staunchly refused to accept the metric system across the board. I myself have noted so many times just how silly measuring things in feet and inches is when the metric system is so simple and straight forward.

I do all the maintenance work on the family cars. When I do, my mother always wants to come out and hand me tools. All our cars are Volvos. (metric) So I line all the wrenches and sockets in order and all I have to do is call out a number and she's right on it. When I work on my Harley, not so much. My mom doesn't know if a nine, sixteenths is bigger than a half or what.
Not everyone refuses to accept the metric system, American car companies went metric quite a few years ago. I don't know when they went fully metric but the conversion was already underway in the mid 70s. My 1974 Mustang used a mix of metric and inch fasteners. These days some brochures are still listing specs in inches but the designs are done in metric.

I agree though, the metric system is so much easier to use. Fractions? Really?
-Craig

slug

Post by slug » Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:24 pm

Try building a frame house in metric :shock:
They tried converting to metric for framing several years ago in Canada, and absolutely nothing works out.

Doug

AusDevil

Post by AusDevil » Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:17 am

ImageImage

We had a very nice day today so got stuck in after work and finished the assembly of the two sides next comes the skinning , not sure if I'm looking forward to all the prying apart hope I have not used too many nails tacking them down :o .

Regards Metric and Inches I agree that metric is just so simple, when I finished high school (1973) I spent 6 months in the USA mostly in Queens New York where I made some pocket money doing odd jobs and felt right at home with feet and inches as that is what I was taught in school.
After arriving back in Aus I started my first trade (A Boilermaker, though I never have made a boiler in my life :lol: ) And that was the first year we moved over to metric and I fell in love with it, it is just so simple especially when you need to divide a distance no pen and paper needed however yards,feet and inches a whole other story.

AusDevil

Post by AusDevil » Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:47 am

ImageImageImage
Kept myself busy today skinning the camper sides, I'm using a premium glue called Bondcrete which is the Bees Knees in glue , some things you just shouldn't skimp on.
Using the router to slice through the plywood is so quick and clean, I'm using the same bit I used when I renovated our kitchen earlier this year to trim up iron on melamine edging,
the bit is part of a kit I purchased from Bunnings a very popular Australia wide hardware store, about 10 bits and a sharpener all for around $40 it was a real bargain as the bits are holding up very well, they will also come in very handy for the cabinets later on in the build.

AusDevil

Post by AusDevil » Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:25 am

Decided to separate the two sides early so would not have to be concerned about damaging the face of the plywood.
Attachments
IMG_2335.JPG
IMG_2341.JPG

Dave Grason

Post by Dave Grason » Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:08 am

BTW, how large of a truck are you going to use to carry this camper?

I ask because this is the largest of the Glen-L truck camper designs and it is NOT light. I've owned several truck campers over the years and I speak from experience. I can tell you that it will crush a full sized half ton truck. A three quarter truck will likely be down on its knees. The largest truck camper that I've owned was a 10 ft. My three quarter ton Chevrolet with a 350 moved it around without to much instability but there was no way I could keep up with traffic and I could watch my gas gauge drop like I was flushing a toilet.

AusDevil

Post by AusDevil » Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:20 am

Very good question and yes it is a beast per the plans, however I've heavily modified it. I purchased the Everglade plans to give me options and for the general info in the build instructions which I am finding invaluable, was thinking of winging it but so glad I bought the Everglade package.

It won't look much like an Everglade when it is finished , I've lowered it, shortened it by over 4 feet and and its width is also considerably less @ 1960mm (77 inches) using lighter material, 3mm inside walls external walls will be Dibond (actually a cheaper version of it) I've also put the door at the back.
The unit will be initially be used on a 1993 Longreach Ford utility with a reconditioned 4.0 litre six cylinder fuel injected engine which is very gutsy yet economical even by today's standards. I have 800kg to play with (1770 lbs) the unmodified Everglade built in 1970's material is estimated at 1650 lbs dry weight my build will be considerably less.

With all that and still plenty of room for a toilet/shower and very importantly all well within our states and Australia's vehicle compliance regulations. In Australia a slide camper is considered just to be a load and does not require any licensing or registration, though I will get the AC electrical certified and a qualified gas fitter to do LPG gas fittings.

I've moved along a bit and onto the floor now, just put on the first coat of sealer.
Thanks for your interest in this project Dave.
Attachments
DSCN0402.JPG
Last edited by AusDevil on Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AusDevil

Post by AusDevil » Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:55 am

Things are moving along.
Attachments
DSCN0418.JPG
DSCN0405.JPG

AusDevil

Post by AusDevil » Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:14 am

Picked up some polystyrene insulation today, custom cut to 19mm thickness for that perfect fit.
Attachments
DSCN0423.JPG

AusDevil

Post by AusDevil » Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:10 am

Tacked all the bits together today to check for fit before I moved it all to my garage next door where the assembly will be completed as the ceiling is too low in the workshop among other things as well.
Attachments
IMG_2433.JPG
IMG_2421.JPG

Return to “Glen-L RV's”