Building modified Everglade in Australia

To allow builders of Glen-L RV's to communicate and discuss their projects

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

AusDevil

Re: Building modified Everglade in Australia

Postby AusDevil » Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:36 am

Took it for its "first" spin 5k's out of town and back , we live in a logging area so the local roads are not in the best condition due to the almost constant flow of log trucks so I didn't go over 80 kph which is probably a good speed to stick to with a slide camper, the water tank is 75% full too.
Really felt the top heaviness of the vehicle and the front was lifted a bit so the steering felt lighter than usual, however the vehicle had no problem with the weight as such it cornered fine and handled the bumpy road quiet well.
Still another aprox 80kg of weight to be fitted though I'm thinking of removing the heavy duty tow bar as that must weight quiet a bit and is not required.As mentioned before I will have the suspension professionally examined and possibly modified before we venture out on our first jaunt.
Getting closer to finishing every day.
Attachments
IMG_3982.JPG
IMG_3999.JPG
IMG_3987.JPG
For detailed up to date build information go to:
http://slidecamper.com

ian bell

Postby ian bell » Thu Apr 02, 2015 3:51 pm

Hi Richard . Taking of the towbar will only reduce the weight by 10kg . I would look at getting the suspension beefed up. Pedders or Fulcrum should be able to help with heavier springs and shockers
Ian

chugalug

Postby chugalug » Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:21 pm

:D Have any problems with windy days?looks like that rig could use a set of duals on back.just to make the footprint wider for stability.
Working on regular-sized Bo-Jest

"If it's not crooked,It's not mine

mrintense

Postby mrintense » Fri Apr 03, 2015 4:47 am

Congratulations Richard,

I am sure that getting the camper out and test running it must be very satisfying. I agree with you and other's that it would probably be best to get the suspension upgrade. Of course, I know the cold season is coming down there, but Perhaps there is still time to get in a few outings.

Well done.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise named "Some Other Time"

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

Lowka53

Postby Lowka53 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:51 pm

8) I would suggest some turn buckles to hold the camper to the truck. Other wise you might find it sitting on the road as you drive away. Here in Utah campers are still used and the buckles are a must have item for safety :wink:
quickload-turnbuckle-comp.jpg
something like this or you might end up like this
accident.jpg
Don't be afraid to attempt anything. You might surprise your self in the attempt.
http://www.facebook.com/Home.Made.Boat.Building
Bon Voyage-"Wild Flower" 40' house boat being built
14' Mr John-being built
32' Supper Huck-in design

Rod H

AusDevil

Postby AusDevil » Sat Apr 04, 2015 2:12 am

mrintense wrote:Congratulations Richard,

I am sure that getting the camper out and test running it must be very satisfying. I agree with you and other's that it would probably be best to get the suspension upgrade. Of course, I know the cold season is coming down there, but Perhaps there is still time to get in a few outings.

Well done.

Thank you , it was & I will as it's important to be safe.

Lowka53 wrote:8) I would suggest some turn buckles to hold the camper to the truck. Other wise you might find it sitting on the road as you drive away. Here in Utah campers are still used and the buckles are a must have item for safety :wink:

Ouch!! I agree 100% , however you should have a "closer" look at my photo's ;-)

AusDevil

Postby AusDevil » Sat Apr 04, 2015 2:19 am

ian bell wrote:Hi Richard . Taking of the towbar will only reduce the weight by 10kg . I would look at getting the suspension beefed up. Pedders or Fulcrum should be able to help with heavier springs and shockers
Ian

Exactly what I have been inquiring about recently. :)

Lowka53

Postby Lowka53 » Sun Apr 05, 2015 6:38 pm

AusDevil wrote:

Well done.

Lowka53 wrote:8) I would suggest some turn buckles to hold the camper to the truck. Other wise you might find it sitting on the road as you drive away. Here in Utah campers are still used and the buckles are a must have item for safety :wink:

It seems I missed the turn buckles on the back when I looked at your photo's before. do you have them on the front as well if not it will keep the wind while traveling from flipping the camper off the truck.
Don't be afraid to attempt anything. You might surprise your self in the attempt.
http://www.facebook.com/Home.Made.Boat.Building
Bon Voyage-"Wild Flower" 40' house boat being built
14' Mr John-being built
32' Supper Huck-in design

Rod H

AusDevil

Postby AusDevil » Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:36 am

Lowka53 wrote:
AusDevil wrote:

Well done.

It seems I missed the turn buckles on the back when I looked at your photo's before. do you have them on the front as well if not it will keep the wind while traveling from flipping the camper off the truck.

The anchor points are fitted on the front though I am yet to devise a satisfactory method to anchor to the vehicle at the front , I'm thinking inside the door well at the moment.
The rear turnbuckles are sufficient for 50mph/80kph test runs though I wouldn't go on a trip like that, as a side note I have a rubber mat underneath as well to stop it from sliding around.

AusDevil

Postby AusDevil » Sat Sep 26, 2015 7:35 pm

It has been quiet some time since my last update & the 2 year anniversary is here and I still have a few things to finish off.
With the change in weather I've been able to finish off the Bathroom and install the 2 X 100W Solar Panels which do a very good job of charging the 100AH battery.The gas has also been installed.
We have also purchased a new vehicle which currently is being upgraded and certified to a One Tonner with the inclusion of suspension airbags.
Hopefully we can pick it up next Tuesday after ARB are finished with it.
More images at my website.
Attachments
IMAG0184a.jpg
ourutea.jpg
IMAG0199a.jpg

psychobilly

Postby psychobilly » Sun Sep 27, 2015 8:24 am

If you're having bags installed then you should really think about Horn Blasters for a proper air horn on that ute.

It's nice having onboard air at yr disposal. Here's some of my additions to my F250 ute. Note that the left and right side schradder valves are my bottom two rego plate (license plate for us US folks) mounting bolts. Hidden well there. I would post a pic of that but I don't know how to blot out numbers.

image.jpeg
1 of 2 X 2.5 liter air tank under rear bumper

image.jpeg
Air Bag

image.jpeg
Onboard air

Sweet looking ute you have there and there will be some nice times in the bush spent!

AusDevil

Postby AusDevil » Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:16 am

Thank you psychobilly, I would love on board air though for now will have to maintain the air bags the ol'fashion way, we are very happy with the new ute it's much more comfortable than the old one and has a lot of grunt too.
We will have the camper on it within the week and take it for a test run, though we are very confidant it will perform very well.
The good news is that ARB got maximum GVM almost 1.2 ton certified woohoo.

AusDevil

Postby AusDevil » Sat Jan 09, 2016 3:36 pm

Over 2 years an EPIC Journey has come to an end , will post more images at my website and last video on Youtube for this build very soon.
The image of the scissor steps was my first attempt I have since rebuilt them mostly from leftover pieces from the build and items purchased at the tip shop.The upholstery was completed just a couple of weeks ago along with a list of finishing touches.
Attachments
uph2.jpg
uph.jpg
steps.jpg

AusDevil

Postby AusDevil » Sat Jan 09, 2016 3:41 pm

Now working on anchor points on our new vehicle then we will be off on our next journey enjoying our beautiful state called Tasmania.

Thank you for all the encouragement and positive feedback over the last two years and may your journeys be as enjoyable as mine.
Attachments
onnew.jpg

hoodman

Postby hoodman » Sat Jan 09, 2016 7:42 pm

Beautiful camper. I'm sure you will make many a fine memory with her.

Return to “Glen-L RV's”