considering the Juniper or Klamath

To allow builders of Glen-L RV's to communicate and discuss their projects

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

superman

considering the Juniper or Klamath

Post by superman » Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:03 pm

Hello lovely people! I am considering building either the Juniper or Klamath and wanted to post a couple of questions before purchasing the plans. To start, I'll be pulling the trailer with my 2WD 2011 GMC Sierra crew cab 5.3L mainly from Phoenix, AZ to northern AZ and California. I keep a 12,000 lb winch on the truck so offroad is no concern despite the 2WD. I do a ton of fabrication and own a ton of tools. So let's start with some basic questions (and I did read many posts before posting).

Clearance:

How easy is it to "lift" the trailer from the ground up build to provide a little extra clearance?

Electric:

Has anyone integrated solar panels in the roof skin? I want to have a healthy battery bank for 12V and 110 power, and keep the bank topped off with panels and a charge controller.

Has anyone done extensive A/V in their trailers? I love a good, full-range sound system and the kids will want to be able to watch DVDs before bed. I have many years experience in mobile a/v, I'd just like to see some inspiration.

Floor Plan:

Does anyone have an opinion of which floor plan is better and why? Neither seems better or worse to me, just wondering.

Does anyone strongly suggest I step up to any of the 20' models?

Thanks in advance for providing answers. I am a firm believer in "giving back" or contributing to the internet so expect to see a thread on my build progress. If you want to view my posts on other forums, my standard user name is supermanotorious but that was too many characters for this one.

Bill Edmundson

Re: considering the Juniper or Klamath

Post by Bill Edmundson » Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:57 am

Superman

Welcome. I don't have experience with the trailers. But, I think you should go for a 20' version. With growing kids the extra room would really be nice.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

superman

Post by superman » Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:12 pm

Thank you for the reply, I am now considering the Malibu for the open living area. So a couple more questions:

Has anyone added a hitch to the frame for double towing? (I have a wakeboard boat I would want to take with us)

What about reinforcing the roof as to add a viewing deck?

dan8089

Post by dan8089 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:23 am

I personally prefer the Juniper as I think the floor plan lays out better.
unless your travels take you into a lot of tight spots I think you will be happier in the long run with the 20 foot model.

superman

Post by superman » Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:15 pm

well I just purchased the plans for the Malibu! I would love to get started on the trailer this weekend but I don't know if Glen-L will email the specs for the trailer or not.....

superman

Post by superman » Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:38 pm

Well ****, they wont do it. I'm not going to say it, but you know I'm disappointed.

dan8089

Post by dan8089 » Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:34 am

They probably can't e-mail the information to you. All of the plans are old, hand drawn, and dated. The Malibu is a good looking plan one I considered before deciding on a truck camper.
You shouldn't have to wait long to get the plans in the mail I think I received mine within a few days

superman

Post by superman » Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:01 am

the plans arrived yesterday afternoon, I'm really excited, I'm going to start a new thread for more questions, then a build thread

Return to “Glen-L RV's”