Malibu pre-build questions

To allow builders of Glen-L RV's to communicate and discuss their projects

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

superman

Malibu pre-build questions

Postby superman » Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:04 am

The plans I ordered showed up on 8/7/14, while I haven't started the official build clock, the unofficial clock is now ticking

For starters, how would you suggest I raise the trailer from the beginning? Put the axle under the leaf springs? Switch to a straight axle instead of the 4" drop axle? Both?

I just want a little more clearance for off-road destinations
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
www.phoenixwinch.com

www.facebook.com/thehomemadetraveltrailer

superman

Re: Malibu pre-build questions

Postby superman » Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:29 pm

I took all the literature except the life size template to work today as I knew I'd have a lot of free time to look at the plans. While calculating the steel for the trailer base, I noticed measurements were missing from some pieces, I called Glen-L and the tech snarled at me that ALL the measurements are on the life size plans and hung up. I just got home, opened the full template and there isn't a single mention of the trailer steel. So either I didn't get ALL the drawings or something else is afoot. At any rate, these plans are not off to a good review and of course, they've all gone home for the weekend. This sucks.
www.phoenixwinch.com

jenko

Postby jenko » Sat Aug 09, 2014 1:32 am

Go for the straight axle and increase wheel rim size (don't put the axle under the springs)and you can always add a spacer between the frame and spring carrier

superman

Postby superman » Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:23 am

What if, instead of using 2x2's for the frame work, I used 2x4s, losing 4" of interior width but gained strength and insulation value, allowing for a stronger roof and a viewing deck on top of the trailer? How badly would that cramp the inside?
www.phoenixwinch.com

Return to “Glen-L RV's”