Rainier 5th Wheel

To allow builders of Glen-L RV's to communicate and discuss their projects

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

tibadoe

Rainier 5th Wheel

Postby tibadoe » Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:56 am

Been wanting another 5th wheel camper for some time now. They are my favorite RV model to tow and I love the 5th wheel style. Unfortunately, the price tag on these new units are crazy high. Think I will go the "build it yourself" route.

To make things a bit easier, I found a 1987 21' Prowler Lynx. The unit was in rough shape but has a structurally sound frame. This will work for me since I plan on tearing it down and rebuilding from frame up. Currently the camper has a dry weight of 2900 lbs and GVWR of 4400 lbs. I hope to end up with the same empty weight when finished by using more modern materials & appliances .

I will be using the Rainier plans and adapting the construction methods to my own overall size & floor plans. Should be a interesting and fun build. I will post a picture or two along the way. I also have some questions that will need to be asked I'm sure.

In this thread I won't be posting pictures of the entire step by step teardown process or frame rebuild (unless you want to see it). Since this is a camper build forum I will wait and post pictures of the build when that starts. But if you want to see what I have done so far: Phase 1: Demolition - Prowler Lynx
Last edited by tibadoe on Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:45 am, edited 16 times in total.
----
Joe

tibadoe

Re: Rainier 5th Wheel

Postby tibadoe » Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:40 am

Ordered the Rainier plans this morning. While I wait for them to be shipped, I am studying the Bayou truck camper plans that I have. The two sets of plans will be a good guide and provide me with the extra technical information I need.
----
Joe

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:52 am

Tibadoe

Welcome. We don't have a lot of activity in this area. But, there is a very wide range of experience on the forum. Ask question. Chances are somebody can answer.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

tibadoe

Postby tibadoe » Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:41 am

Thanks Bill. I will have plenty of questions. For now I'm starting the tear down of the old camper so I can start on the frame. I guess this is considered the "easy part"!
----
Joe

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:59 am

Joe

I'm thinking about a camping trailer. http://www.boatdesigns.com/Sequoia-Plan ... fo/50-290/

It will fit on the little Harbor Freight trailer that I have. Our 30 year old lazy son may just have to live in it.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

tibadoe

Postby tibadoe » Thu Jun 25, 2015 5:02 am

Bill Edmundson wrote:Joe

I'm thinking about a camping trailer. http://www.boatdesigns.com/Sequoia-Plan ... fo/50-290/

It will fit on the little Harbor Freight trailer that I have.............................

Bill

That's a nice little camper.
----
Joe

tibadoe

Postby tibadoe » Wed Jul 01, 2015 5:48 pm

My Glen-L Rainier Plans were delivered today. I was able to go through the package and briefly look over the contents. Seems pretty straight forward. Disappointed that there is only one small sheet of full size plans. I was expecting at least the side wall full size. Not a deal breaker since I will be stretching their 17' design 4' to fit my 21' trailer frame. Needless to say, I will be studying them in detail in my spare time.

On a side note I am moving along with Phase 1 of the demolition project. All that is left now are the two holding tanks bolted to the frame. Roof, side walls, riser wall, and balcony floor, and main floor are now removed.
Last edited by tibadoe on Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
----
Joe

tibadoe

Postby tibadoe » Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:30 am

Phase 1: Demolition - Prowler Lynx of my RV camper build project is complete.
As of this point, I have the entire camper disassembled down to the metal frame. As expected, the frame is in very good condition. Now, Phase 2 (frame rebuild) is ready to begin. This section of the build will entail the frame, stabilizer jacks, springs, brake hubs, brakes, bearings, and axles. Any item or items that won't pass the inspection or is questionable will be repaired or replaced. Once all is ready, the frame will be cleaned up and painted. Finally, fifth wheel to gooseneck conversion will be bolted on.

This is my official starting point:
Last edited by tibadoe on Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:36 am, edited 5 times in total.
----
Joe

Andy Garrett

Postby Andy Garrett » Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:46 pm

It's good to have a clean slate to start from. I'm looking forward to following this build. :)
Andy Garrett

Perhaps the slowest Zip build in Glen-L history...

tibadoe

Postby tibadoe » Thu Aug 13, 2015 5:27 pm

Figured I would post a update: Removed the king pin box, holding tank cross members, (2) non OEM floor supports, axles, springs, shackles, equalizers, both front jacks, and both rear jacks from frame. The decision was made to go ahead and remove the original 4 floor outriggers and 2 step outriggers. Out of the six I was able to save one to use as a template.

I am now down to 100% raw frame.
Last edited by tibadoe on Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:13 am, edited 7 times in total.
----
Joe

tibadoe

Postby tibadoe » Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:23 am

Ordered new front jacks and rear scissor jacks a week or two ago and both were delivered without damage!

Pro Series 8k front jacks from Amazon free shipping. I like the drop leg & crank out - will give plenty of travel.
Eaz-Lift 7.5k rear scissor jacks with crank handle from Amazon free shipping.

As far as weight ratings - they both are a bit overkill but better be safe than sorry.

Last edited by tibadoe on Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
----
Joe

tibadoe

Postby tibadoe » Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:04 pm

Ordered the Foldaway 20" Double Entry Steps with 12" drop from Amazon last week and they were delivered today by UPS. The box was a bit beat up but surprisingly there was no damage. Heavier duty than I expected - that I'm glad. Even had a nice shinny black coating of paint.

The original entry step on the RV was a single step. They were quite flimsy so I wasn't sure what to expect with the new ones as far as quality goes. The new steps had four reviews and a 5 star ratings. I don't put a whole lot of faith in customer reviews, but this time it was spot on. I decided on the double step since I was flipping the axles.

Last edited by tibadoe on Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:17 am, edited 5 times in total.
----
Joe

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:40 pm

Joe

I've been wanting to get started on my little trailer. Just too much right now.

Bill
Tahoe 19 Build

tibadoe

Postby tibadoe » Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:40 pm

Out of the four original mid-frame outriggers on the frame, one was missing, two were damaged, only leaving one in good shape. I think most of the damage came from me when I was tearing the camper apart. Asides from the hollow bumper (for holding sewage hose), they were the only part of the frame that was made out of 1/16" metal. Cut them all off including the only good one which I brought it to the machine shop to use as a pattern.

Had ten outriggers made up - five left side and five right side. Two will be used to mount the steps on the right side. Four will go on the left side spaced 4' apart and the other four on the right with the same spacing. After doing some thinking, I decided to go with 1/8" angle instead of 1/16". The rest of the frame is 1/8" thick minimum so I might as well keep it uniform. The little bit of weight added should not be an issue.

Last edited by tibadoe on Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
----
Joe

tibadoe

Postby tibadoe » Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:46 pm

Bill Edmundson wrote:Joe

I've been wanting to get started on my little trailer. Just too much right now.

Bill

I can understand that Bill. Time seems to be my biggest issue. As long as I keep moving forward I am happy.
----
Joe

Return to “Glen-L RV's”