Rainier 5th Wheel

To allow builders of Glen-L RV's to communicate and discuss their projects

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

psychobilly

Re: Rainier 5th Wheel

Postby psychobilly » Mon Sep 07, 2015 6:05 pm

Coming along really nice with the parts list bud. I can't wait to see more.

Subscribed!!! :D

tibadoe

Postby tibadoe » Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:18 am

Ok....got a little sidetracked since I'm waiting on a welder and king pin box. Decided to install the P3 Brake Controller in the Tundra. The Tundra has the factory tow package so it's prewired and ready for the plug n play controller & harness connector. No cutting or splicing of tow vehicle wires needed. Installation was quick and easy.

If you want to check it out click here: P3 Brake Controller installation

This is what the finished install looked like:
Last edited by tibadoe on Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:22 am, edited 3 times in total.
----
Joe

tibadoe

Postby tibadoe » Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:37 am

Picked up the last of my metals from the machine shop this morning. Decided 4" C channel outriggers for the entry steps would be better suited for the task. Realized this when the new steps were delivered and I lifted them up. The weight increase going from the original single entry step to double entry step required the heavier duty metal. Also had the shop make the 2 plates for mounting the rear scissor jacks and 12 brackets for the front jacks. One of the six spring hangers will also have to be replaced because the hole was elongated vertical wise - so picked up one of them as well.
Everything fits perfect. Now to contact the welder and set up a date and time to get it all welded up.

Last edited by tibadoe on Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
----
Joe

tibadoe

Postby tibadoe » Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:03 am

Not much progress in the last week or so. Still waiting on welder & cutter. Been raining for the past 4 days and it looks like it will continue for the rest of the week.
I did order the adjustable gooseneck coupler on Sept 3, 2015 from Popup Towing Products. This particular coupler had to be custom made. UPS delivered the 103 pound box today. Box was beat up quite a bit but still survived without any damage.
Will take a better picture on a sunny day - but for now:
Last edited by tibadoe on Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
----
Joe

psychobilly

Postby psychobilly » Wed Sep 30, 2015 1:19 pm

I'm ready to see the new welder!

tibadoe

Postby tibadoe » Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:43 am

psychobilly wrote:I'm ready to see the new welder!

The "welder" was actually a local professional welder with a mobile unit. I had him scheduled a couple weeks ago but the weather just hasn't cooperated. But that might have been a good thing since I was thinking of purchasing a stick welder for my shop. Wouldn't be much more cost to purchase one - opposed to hiring a local welder for a one time job. Of course the plus side would be I'd have my own stick welder for future projects.

I was thinking of Lincoln Electric 240-Volt / 225-Amp Stick Welder from Lowes or Klutch ST200i Inverter-Powered Stick Welder — 230 Volts, 200 Amp from Northern Tool. They both cost the same, great reviews, 240v, but the Klutch can be portable & welds up to 3/8" and the Lincoln not so portable but welds up to 1". I can power them both off my generator no problem.
Anyone have experience with either of these units? Any input before I pull the trigger on one?
----
Joe

gap998

Postby gap998 » Fri Oct 02, 2015 10:22 am

I used to work for a fabrication company that ran a fleet of Lincoln MIG sets - filthy environment & loads of abuse - good durable kit.
Gary

Planning a whole fleet, but starting with a Zip...I think.

"Just when you think you've made something idiot-proof, someone builds a better idiot!"

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Mon Oct 26, 2015 1:22 pm

Joe

I still watch. I still want to do the little trailer. But, man has some life gotten in the way.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Dave Grason

Postby Dave Grason » Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:28 pm

tibadoe wrote:Anyone have experience with either of these units? Any input before I pull the trigger on one?

It's been YEARS but I used to have one of those old Lincoln tombstone buzz boxes. For me, I never really could steady my hand enough to get pretty welds. If I were the one doing the welding, I would hope that all my work would get covered up. On the other hand, I knew a guy that custom made drive shafts and did all his welding with one of those units. His work was so good that it honestly looked like he'd done it with a MIG. So really, it's all a matter of practice, practice, practice.

I bought my first MIG along about 1984. I've owned several and I've never looked back. I've also owned one of those little portable wire feed welders that works just like a MIG except that it uses the flux core wire. Those give really excellent results as long as you pay attention to the duty cycle and don't let the machine get too hot. For your application, if you are a fairly inexperienced guy with welding equipment, you might want to check those out.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_2961-1703-K2479 ... 82349&pl=1

These are very easy to use. Someone who has never welded before can get good results after only a few minutes of practice.

I was just looking at your Tekonsha brake controller. I've got to say that you're going to LOVE LOVE LOVE this brake box. It's completely digital. That translates to SMOOOOOOOTH! Take it from a guy who dragged work trailers behind his crew's trucks for twenty years. The older brake boxes that were available before digital were always either virtually non-functional or they locked up the tires every time you touched the brake pedal. It was always SO difficult to find that happy medium where the correct amount of brake bias was applied.

Not so with digital. These new units sense EVERYTHING - even if the weight of the trailer is changing. As an example, if I pulled a 20 foot trailer with four zero turn mowers on it, (approx. 6000 lbs) dropped two guys and two mowers off at the first job and then headed for the second job, the Tekonsha just knew that the trailer was lighter by 3000 lbs. It would adjust to suit. It's a superb set-up.

Of course, you can still dial up a LOT of bias if you want. This is great fun! When you dial up the bias, you can always operate the trailer's brakes independently from the truck's brakes. With 100% bias and not using the truck's brakes, the tires on the trailer will smoke and squeal like banshees. So you use this trick as you're driving down the road and you're coming up behind someone jogging or walking. You can set the brakes and watch them jump right out of their skins. My favorite targets have always been the LDS kids on their bicycles. This is the only sadistic bone in my body. :lol:
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

tibadoe

Postby tibadoe » Sat Oct 31, 2015 12:51 pm

Dave Grason wrote:
tibadoe wrote:Anyone have experience with either of these units? Any input before I pull the trigger on one?

It's been YEARS but I used to have one of those old Lincoln tombstone buzz boxes. For me, I never really could steady my hand enough to get pretty welds. If I were the one doing the welding, I would hope that all my work would get covered up. On the other hand, I knew a guy that custom made drive shafts and did all his welding with one of those units. His work was so good that it honestly looked like he'd done it with a MIG. So really, it's all a matter of practice, practice, practice.

I bought my first MIG along about 1984. I've owned several and I've never looked back. I've also owned one of those little portable wire feed welders that works just like a MIG except that it uses the flux core wire. Those give really excellent results as long as you pay attention to the duty cycle and don't let the machine get too hot. For your application, if you are a fairly inexperienced guy with welding equipment, you might want to check those out.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_2961-1703-K2479 ... 82349&pl=1

These are very easy to use. Someone who has never welded before can get good results after only a few minutes of practice.................

Thanks for the input Dave. Mostly everything like the outriggers is 1/8" and should be no problem for this welder. But I do have a four 1/4" pieces that will be used for the jackstand mounts and two 1/4" step outriggers - how would this do for welding these to the frame? Would this wire feed welder do the job or would you recommend the electric welder that will weld up to 1".
----
Joe

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Thu Dec 10, 2015 2:22 pm

Joe

How's it coming along?

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

tibadoe

Postby tibadoe » Sat Dec 19, 2015 11:42 am

Bill Edmundson wrote:Joe

How's it coming along?

Bill

Looks like things have come to a halt for the winter. Since this is a outside build I won't be doing much till Spring. I will post up again when I get back at it.
----
Joe

jamundsen

Postby jamundsen » Sat Dec 19, 2015 4:23 pm

Winter sucks.
John Amundsen
Monte Carlo
Lakeland,Fl

Work tends to get in the way of boat building

chugalug

Postby chugalug » Sat Dec 19, 2015 4:26 pm

:D Hope you're using a fast-lens helmet-they are really nice;sometimes spendy tho.I use a Miller one at work and it is adjustable from grind mode to shade 14,tho I usually am on shade 10.can adjust sensitivity too since sometimes I weld with partner and still need to see my joints while they are welding too.
Working on regular-sized Bo-Jest

"If it's not crooked,It's not mine

slug

Postby slug » Sat Dec 19, 2015 5:40 pm

I gave my old....and I mean really old, Lincoln stick welder to a friend when I purchased my first mig welder. I now have a smaller 180 Lincoln mig welder that I love. I highly recommend them and they are reasonably priced.

Doug

Return to “Glen-L RV's”