pickup campers

To allow builders of Glen-L RV's to communicate and discuss their projects

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

skunzma

pickup campers

Postby skunzma » Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:40 am

Has anyone modified a pickup camper plan to allow a queen size bed to fit in the cabover section? Do you need additional structural support added to the framework?

lynnburcher

Re: pickup campers

Postby lynnburcher » Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:57 pm

skunzma wrote:Has anyone modified a pickup camper plan to allow a queen size bed to fit in the cabover section? Do you need additional structural support added to the framework?

I'm no expert, but I'm sure you would have structural issues extending the cant-levered over-cab portion. I've seen a camper based on a quad-cab pickup that advertised a king-sized bed, but I wouldn't want to tackle the redesign, personally.

One alternate: I've seen a couple of models that basically have a two-piece matress and a drawer under the bed that slides out into the living space. When the drawer is in you stack the two mattresses, then when you want to go to bed you slide the drawer out and place the two matresses side-by-side.

When you set up the bed you loose other living space, like the kitchen.

It may still require some structural modification to the stock plans, but would be much easier than extending the cab-over portion of the camper.

Here's an example from the Turtle Expedition Turtle V vehicle:

http://turtleexpedition.com/images/13T5_DivaLoungTe.jpg

It looks like theirs uses the counters on each side, and the drawer just spans the space between the counters.

skunzma

pickup camper

Postby skunzma » Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:55 pm

Thanks, that is something I hadn't seen before. Today, most pickup camper manufacturers have extended their cabover to fit a queen (sideways or lengthwise). I was wondering how they support the extra length. Looks like more research for me.

Dave Grason

Postby Dave Grason » Thu Feb 22, 2007 5:43 am

I've owned 2 cab over campers in the past and they BOTH had queen sized beds. It was great to be able to spread out at night. lol. So what I'm saying is that it CAN be done. If you build the camper with DF, oak or ash framing and then skin it with ¾" plywood glued up with epoxy or construction adhesive, I think you'd be amazed at the strength.
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

lynnburcher

Postby lynnburcher » Thu Feb 22, 2007 11:08 am

Guys,

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply a queen-sized cabover didn't exist or couldn't be done, I just think it would take some structural engineering to convert Glen-L plans.

Lynn

Return to “Glen-L RV's”