Building everglade

To allow builders of Glen-L RV's to communicate and discuss their projects

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

Cornnutz

Building everglade

Postby Cornnutz » Sat Mar 17, 2007 9:08 pm

I just bought the plans for Everglade and plan to start the build ASAP.
I currently own a 1986 10" Lance that Has Had the Radish. The stove, refridge, tanks, windows, etc. are in good condition so I plan to strip it clean of all that is good.
I was reading about the question about extending the cabover for a queen bed. That is my plan as well. If you look at the sidewall framing, there is plenty of meat in that 2X4 on the lower member & as Dave said, if you bond the inner and outer walls to the frame with epoxy resin, it will become quite strong.
I am also looking into making my own fiberglass siding just like the boat boys do. 1 layer of resin, 1 layer of cloth, 2 more layers of resin & a whole bunch of sanding. Prime it then paint it with some good poly paint. It should las quite a long time.
This way is alot more work, but the results should be better.

lynnburcher

Re: Building everglade

Postby lynnburcher » Mon Mar 19, 2007 8:58 am

Cornnutz wrote:I just bought the plans for Everglade and plan to start the build ASAP.
I currently own a 1986 10" Lance that Has Had the Radish.

Hey Cornnutz, sounds like a fun project. Re-using the stuff out of your old camper should make it pretty inexpensive, as well. When I'm ready to start my project, I'll be looking for a wrecked camper to cannibalize.

Cornnutz wrote: I am also looking into making my own fiberglass siding just like the boat boys do...

Wow, that is a lot of work. I'd be worried that I wouldn't be able to get it to look good, especially with large flat areas. Just curious, but have you considered using a production fiberglass siding like this one:

Here's his buildup story, if you haven't already seen it:

http://www.glen-l.com/campers/rv-picboard/rvpic6a.html

Also, there used to be a good write-up by a guy covered his homebuilt 5th wheel with sheet fiberglass siding. The link doesn't seem to be working right now, but I'll post it anyway, just in case:

http://www.chadsprojects.com/default.asp

I'd be interested in hearing if you have considered and dismissed this option, and why, since it's the route I plan on going.

Lynn

lynnburcher

Re: Building everglade

Postby lynnburcher » Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:15 am

Also,

Cornnutz wrote:.
I was reading about the question about extending the cabover for a queen bed. That is my plan as well. If you look at the sidewall framing, there is plenty of meat in that 2X4 on the lower member & as Dave said, if you bond the inner and outer walls to the frame with epoxy resin, it will become quite strong.

I agree.

In another thread I mentioned that I helped my father build a handful of campers back in the '70s - '80s. On the last one we 'borrowed' a technique that we saw on a production camper that someone brought to him for repair. It was bonded like you are saying, but went a step further. For insulation we used the rigid house insulation foam. We ripped the frame members to be the same thickness as the insulation, and bonded the inner and outer skin to the insulation as well as the framing.

The production camper we got the idea from only had very basic framing, but we thought it easier to give ours a 'traditional' frame so that we knew we had studs to mount cabinets and stuff to later.

Trailmanor uses this construction technique, not only for the walls but the floor and cabinets, as well. I think they have a description on their web site.

It's referred to as SIP (Structural Insulating Panels) in the modular construction industry.

If you really want to get high-tech, check out the 'expedition' campers built overseas in places like Europe, South Africa, or Australia, and some homebuilders here in the US.

For instance, on the Turtle V they used Nida Core:

http://turtleexpedition.com/vehicles/turtle5.php

Cornnutz

Fiberglass Siding

Postby Cornnutz » Mon Mar 19, 2007 5:14 pm

Yes, I am considering The manufactured stuff, Actually It's my preference, but I'm finding it very expensive. That's why my thoughts have gone towards the encapsulating method.
Do you know of a reasonable priced supplier?

Cornnutz

Picture of camper you sent

Postby Cornnutz » Mon Mar 19, 2007 5:18 pm

By the way, the picture you sent, that camper is painted, not fiberglass sided.

lynnburcher

Re: Picture of camper you sent

Postby lynnburcher » Tue Mar 20, 2007 7:06 am

Cornnutz wrote:By the way, the picture you sent, that camper is painted, not fiberglass sided.

Oops. I know that I saw one around here somewhere that used the fiberglass, along with some discussion on the source, but I guess my quick search didn't work.

It's unfortunate that the other link isn't working. He had a good write-up on what he used and how he installed it. He even built a slide-out on his 5th wheel...

Sorry I don't have more info.

lynnburcher

Postby lynnburcher » Tue Mar 20, 2007 7:15 pm

FWIW, the 'Chad's Projects' link I posted above is working now.

Return to “Glen-L RV's”