A trailer to live in?

To allow builders of Glen-L RV's to communicate and discuss their projects

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

Cranky Badger

Re: A trailer to live in?

Postby Cranky Badger » Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:22 am

Sticks and staples do not a good RV make!!

I couldn't have said it better...

J Patroni, you can build an RV for me anytime. Unfortunately, you wouldn't be able to compete in the marketplace with high build quality since most units never leave asphalt so the shortcomings never materialize for the owners. To the good, there are a few manufacturers building solid units, but they are rare and pricey. Using a welded frame or a monocoque layup to carry structural and dynamic loads is the only way to build an RV IMO, as your experience with the foam shows.

If anyone's looking for a laugh, check out the 'Motorhome Racing' episode of Top Gear. It's online...and it's a hoot.

Some beefy RVs:
-Brian

"Do or do not. There is no try."
- Yoda

Caber-Feidh

Postby Caber-Feidh » Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:35 pm

TOP GEAR!!!

My favourite programme!
(even if Clarkson completely hatchet-murdered my truck in a review)

Cranky, you could be right, I have never seen formular 250 crack in a hover, so I was visualizing similar construction, consisting of a vacuum bagged lamination with the outer shell material, and hot-wire cut channels to clear the structural framing. There is no way you can subject a camper to the same thrashing as a hover hull takes, well, short of hitting it with another vehicle (a' la clarkson)

http://rovingdentist.com/

Love the Rover! I believe he used Nidacore for the walls. Too expencive, but seems to be the material of choice among the expedition-camper crowd.

Darn it, Cranky, now you have me wanting to build one... That would be a tough one to hide from the DA for long. no way I would ever make the 48 hour rule timeline with a half built camper.
Some plan to stroll through Saint Peter's Gates, I plan to go through them at 150mph... backwards... in a screaming ball of flame, with a glimmer belt wrapped around my head, and a NOx button in my hand.

Cranky Badger

Postby Cranky Badger » Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:39 am

My ideal rig starts with an old Unimog (mid-'60s are under 10K around here...if you can find one) and that same welded 'shell'.
I saw a truck in 4X4 mag years ago (early 80's?) where the builder had taken a pickup and made a completely self sufficient rig, including installing an on-board welder. Ever since then, I've been hooked on the concept of long-range self-sufficient expedition vehicles, but it's a niche market at best.

Some of the abuse that the Paris-Dakar support rigs take is mind-blowing when you think about the forces involved.
-Brian

"Do or do not. There is no try."
- Yoda

Return to “Glen-L RV's”