Securing Gas Tank

Outboard designs up to 14'

Moderator: ttownshaw

JimmY

Securing Gas Tank

Postby JimmY » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:48 am

I've been running my Squirt for the last few weeks with the gas tank loose in the rear compartment. I've tried to wedge it in place with some inflatable water jugs, but it has moved around and scratched through some of the epoxy on the rear battens (which will be repaired).

Any suggestions on securing the tank? It is 17.5"x 11.5" and any way I place it, it overhangs the battens so I think I need a tray or some other method to secure it. The simple thing would be to use a pair of bungee cords, but I don't want to drill any holes in the battens for fear of water intrusion.

Also, I would like to keep it off to one side, so I can use the rest of the rear compartment for storage. Right now, I've tried to keep it centered but then it pretty much takes up the whole hatch opening. Any big problem with this other than the boat will not float level on the water line?

Thanks,
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

mrintense

Re: Securing Gas Tank

Postby mrintense » Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:01 pm

I don't have access to the link right now, but David Pascoe has a series of articles concerning proper fuel tank installations. It's more geared towards permanent mount but it might be worth reading. The gist of the material that I have read is regarding aluminum tank installation since this is what I plan on using. If you are using something else, I will need to defer to others here on the forum.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise named "Some Other Time"

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

vupilot

Postby vupilot » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:31 pm

I used cabinet handles screwed into the battens and a click strap that threads through the handles and over the tank.

PeterG

Postby PeterG » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:34 am

You might try making a picture-frame type of rack, sized for the fuel tank and permanently attached to the battens. Make the frame using an L-shaped cross section for a lip that holds the tank from sliding. If you make your frame with wood, you could install a poly plastic protector strip between the tank and frame to protect the wood better. A webbed hold-down strap with a buckle would keep the tank from bouncing out of the frame (sorta like the strap on the plastic battery boxes).
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.
Griffin's Law: Murphy was an optimist.

JimmY

Postby JimmY » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:31 am

Thanks guys, good ideas and info.
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

Mark-NJ

Postby Mark-NJ » Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:14 pm

PeterG wrote:You might try making a picture-frame type of rack, sized for the fuel tank and permanently attached to the battens.

That's what I did...

Dado cut a 2x6 to make lap joints...

...then glued up the frame.

Next, cut out the tank's footprint and discard:

Cut the outer perimeter, sand, test fit....

Rout the edges for a nice smooth feel, then add a few coats of varnish

I don't have any pictures of this installed in the boat, but it's screwed to my floorboard. I put in some screw-eyes, which a bungee cord hooks to. It works great and looks pretty good, too!

Return to “Small outboards”