Tuffy Build

Outboard designs up to 14'

Moderator: ttownshaw

PeterG

Re: Tuffy Build

Post by PeterG » Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:51 am

OK so I'm not the only one thinking about fiberglassing the hull in two halves (plus third piece for the transom). I found 6 oz cloth wide enough to do this for my Malahini. Definitely let us know how this goes for you.
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.
Griffin's Law: Murphy was an optimist.

TomB

Post by TomB » Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:00 pm

Glassing in halves works good...

Tape the cloth down here and there along the edge, the cloth will move around and pucker if you don't. The glass will also float if you flood it.

A stip of tape to stop the epoxy/glass on the other side works well to give a crisp edge. Cut the glass along the tape after the epoxy tacks and peel the tape and waste epoxy/glass. (If you go to a raw glass edge the epoxy will float the individual fibers and leave a much rougher cured edge.)

There will be areas of glass overlap and there will also be a little step where it goes between one layer and two. A couple of epoxy fill coats within the step will blend it out.

Tom

Evan

Post by Evan » Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:48 pm

I got both sides and the transom done. I wish I had thought of that tape thing, I did have some troubles with those those fibres.

If I had my time back I would probably not do the transom. The tuffy has that end cap on the very bottom, it was a pain to put the glass around it.

I still need to put at least one more filler coat on.

Overall for a first time I think it went pretty well.
Attachments
IMG_0692.jpg
IMG_0691.jpg

hoodman

Post by hoodman » Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:42 pm

Nice job. It's good to get that task behind you.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

TomB

Post by TomB » Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:40 pm

It looks good Evan. I sanded the unruly fibers when the weave was almost full and then added a couple of coats to cover and get everything flat. Tom

Evan

Post by Evan » Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:37 pm

ok That was the plan I came up with as well at least I know now it not a bad one.

Evan

Post by Evan » Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:26 pm

Fiberglass is filled. It went ok there are a few runs that I missed on the sides.

Sanded for a few minutes today, gave me a chance to try out the new sander.
Attachments
IMG_0716.jpg
IMG_0715.jpg

Evan

Post by Evan » Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:45 pm

Spray rails and the skeg are on.

Decided to try epoxy/graphite on the bottom, put one coat on, it needs another.

I think the flip is coming soon.
Attachments
IMG_0731.jpg

Evan

Post by Evan » Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:35 am

Flipped the boat yesterday. There is a couple spots to clean up some epoxy but that should only take a few minutes.

I think I am just going to epoxy the inside with a couple seal coats and leave it that way, not sure about the deck, see what it looks like and then make that call.
Attachments
IMG_0743.jpg
IMG_0740.jpg

PeterG

Post by PeterG » Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:31 pm

Nice work! Congratulations on your flip. I saw you ask about the strongback on Biss' Malahini, that seem like a good way to do it, he pared down the underside of the strongback so it sits on the breasthook (no notch in the breasthook). The top surface of the strongback follows the curve down to the tip of the stem. Lots of trial fitting to get it right, but kinda important so the plywood deck will lay down properly without a gap at the edge of the sheers.
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.
Griffin's Law: Murphy was an optimist.

Evan

Post by Evan » Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:55 am

OK thanks. I have a bit more time to mess with it as I am supposed to do the carlings first.

I was happy to see his post as I was just looking at it before I saw the post.

Evan

Post by Evan » Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:33 pm

I just realized I need to put a bow hook for trailering. Seems it would be difficult to drill a hole through the stem or at least one that was straight.. Any suggestions on this or a product recommendation?

vupilot

Post by vupilot » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:24 am

A bow handle on the front top of the deck can be used as well. But the angle of the strap will make that a compromise but that is what I did on my boat. Im sure some others that made a jig to drill a straight hole for this will chime in with some methods for that. Thats the route I would recommend as it will make recovering the boat simpler with the eye at the stem.

Ibrew2be

Post by Ibrew2be » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:25 pm

Evan:
I used 2 jigs to drill the hole for the bow eye on my build. I drilled through the stem from the inside. I needed to use 2 jigs because the bolt on my bow eye wasn't long enough to go all the way through the stem, so I needed to countersink the area on the inside where the nut and washer were attached. One jig was used for drilling the larger diameter hole for the countersink, then a second jig was used for the smaller diameter hole that went all the way through the stem.

I recently tossed the jigs I used, so instead of a picture, I drew up the attached to illustrate my approach. The 3/4" plywood that I used for the main body of each jig was the same material that I used for fabricating the stem. The pieces of 1/4" plywood on the outsides are used to center the jig on the stem. I made one jig where the hole I bored was about an inch in diameter for the countersinking. Choose whatever diameter you need to accommodate the nut and washer while still leaving space for the walls of a socket to get over the nut to tighten it. The second jig was similar, but with a hole sized for the diameter of the bolt on the bow eye. I used a drill press to drill the holes in the jig in order that everything be square and straight.

When drilling the holes in the stem, drill the countersink hole first, to the desired depth. I used a Forstner bit. The tip of the Forstner bit shows where the center of the hole is, so it was not difficult to line up the narrower bit on the second jig to continue drilling.
Jig for drilling bow eye.PNG
Jig for drilling bow eye.PNG (11.08 KiB) Viewed 3751 times
I hope all of this makes sense. Let me know if you have any questions.

Barry
Barry Shantz

Imp built and launched. Thinking hard about Boat 2.0

Evan

Post by Evan » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:05 am

Great, i will set something like that up, thanks.

I guess I already drilled the transom and the stem to attach them, I survived that.

It would have been great if I had drilled the stem when I could hold it in my hands.

This will have to be one of my next jobs, once I get those deck battens on I would not be able to get in there to do it.

Return to “Small outboards”