Ottawa Squirt Build

Outboard designs up to 14'

Moderator: ttownshaw

Anthony Kita

Re: Ottawa Squirt Build

Post by Anthony Kita » Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:53 pm

Another update for the build.

I decided to mount the transom to the build frame on two vertical 2x4's that lock in to the corner between the floor member and back board of the transom. I was able to clamp the 2x4's to the transom, position the transom at the angle I wanted, and then fastened the 2x4's to the build frame.
2x4's mounted to the back of the build frame.
2x4's mounted to the back of the build frame.
Transom mounted and clamped to the build frame.
Transom mounted and clamped to the build frame.
There are known knowns, but there are also unknown unknowns, things that I don't know that I don't know.
Building a boat is teaching me a lot about my unknown unknowns. I'm always learning that there is more to learn!

Anthony Kita

Post by Anthony Kita » Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:59 pm

I've also made progress marking out a centreline on the build frame to help locate the frames, and the stem. A combination of lasers and plumb-lines helped to ensure that everything was correct.
Laser thingy balanced on assorted junk & boxes. Aligned with centre of transom & knee.
Laser thingy balanced on assorted junk & boxes. Aligned with centre of transom & knee.
Laser line on centre of frame #2.
Laser line on centre of frame #2.
Laser line on centre of stem layers.
Laser line on centre of stem layers.
There are known knowns, but there are also unknown unknowns, things that I don't know that I don't know.
Building a boat is teaching me a lot about my unknown unknowns. I'm always learning that there is more to learn!

Anthony Kita

Post by Anthony Kita » Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:09 am

Another week, and a little bit more progress.

Encapsulating the frames has been much more time consuming than I had thought, but most of that work is done and I have moved onto cutting and. fitting the keel. I've got the keel in position and I think I've achieved the correct curve between frame #1 and frame #2, and a nice flat profile back from frame #1 to the transom.
Curvy Keel Viewed from the rear and side profile
Curvy Keel Viewed from the rear and side profile
It seems to take a lot of force to clamp and bend the keel into the notch in the stem and I think this will be a challenging joint to glue, clamp, and bolt together. I'm also worried that counterboring the heads of the carriage bolts too deeply into the keel will reduce the strength of the wood and may cause the keel to split.
Keel Clamped at Stem Junction
Keel Clamped at Stem Junction
Slow and Steady Progress.
Slow and Steady Progress.
Question for the community, how much material can I expect to fair off the keel in this location? how shallow can I afford to make the counterbores for the carriage bolts?

Return to “Small outboards”