Minnesota Squirt Build

Outboard designs up to 14'

Moderator: ttownshaw

JimmY

Re: Minnesota Squirt Build

Post by JimmY »

That is a cool blue!

The red that I use took a few coats to cover the primer. I think it depends on the color and how transparent the different pigments are.
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

brockj

Post by brockj »

Thanks Jim, I really like it. I threw a very thin 4th coat on and will sand it tomorrow night and plan to apply 1-2 more coats depending on how it looks. My clear gloss and white for boot stripe should be here Wednesday, so depending on how the blue goes I could be applying the clear gloss next weekend.

brockj

Post by brockj »

Question, I have sanded down the paint, and have now applied two additional coats, and I am still seeing some of scratches from the sandpaper through the second coat. I sanded with 220 to start. How many more coats should I plan on applying? My concern is that I will need to order an additional quart of blue if I need to do more than one or two additional quotes. My plan was to sand down the two additional coats with 320, and see where that gets me. But if I am likely going to need to order an additional quart I would rather do that sooner than later (and of course my clear and white were just delivered yesterday :roll: )

Ibrew2be

Post by Ibrew2be »

Something for you to think about: this is the bottom of the boat that you are painting, and the fact of the matter is you don't see much of the bottom much of the time. So how perfect does it need to be to be good enough?

On my boat, I put 4 or 5 coats on the bottom and decided that good enough was, indeed, good enough.

Barry
Barry Shantz

Imp built and launched.

Currently building Ken Bassett's Rascal

vupilot

Post by vupilot »

Thats good advice. If the bow and sides are nice thats as much of the bottom as anyone will see. When you are at this stage its hard to remember that because all you have ever seen is the bottom of the boat as you build.

JimmY

Post by JimmY »

I would use up the rest of the blue, and sand with 320. Maybe tip perpendicular to what you have been doing.

In the water, all the red on mine is below the water line.
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

brockj

Post by brockj »

Well, I ordered another quart, not because I didn't take everyone's advice, but because when I peeled the tape off the paint edge it also peeled up some of the paint (left the tape on too long). Oh well, I sanded it down this morning with 320 and it looks much better. I am going to touch up the areas that peeled away and do another coat or two for good measure.

Return to “Small outboards”