Atlas Woodworking Zip Build

Outboard designs up to 14'

Moderator: ttownshaw

Atlas Woodworking

Re: Atlas Woodworking Zip Build

Post by Atlas Woodworking »

I countersunk all my predrills for the screws and carriage bolts to make it possible to plug them with solid Sapele. Make It Snappy makes great plug cutters and I found one at 3/4" which should just do the job perfectly.
PXL_20201025_220609084.MP.jpg
I don't know if the taper in the keel is in the prints or just a nice touch someone on the forum developed, but I really like it anyhow and cut it into my keel too.
PXL_20201025_194438959.MP.jpg
Every screw predrill will get plugged with a grain matched solid Sapele plug. This method satisfies my visual itch for perfection, despite the imminent covering with the hull. It feels good to be methodical. This build is going slower than I had hoped it would but I'm okay with that, it's definitely a fine build.
PXL_20201025_181918087.MP.jpg

Steve B.

Post by Steve B. »

Nice work Ole! That taper in the fore section of the keel will help when it's time for fairing too. The hull deepens steeply beginning there so that keel section is where you'd need to aggressively fair near the stem. The narrower fore section of the keel saves a lot of stock removal! 8)
Building a ZZZIP!

Atlas Woodworking

Steve B. wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:34 am
Nice work Ole! That taper in the fore section of the keel will help when it's time for fairing too. The hull deepens steeply beginning there so that keel section is where you'd need to aggressively fair near the stem. The narrower fore section of the keel saves a lot of stock removal! 8)
Thanks Steve! That makes sense, I'm glad I took liberty to include it lol. Fitting the chine logs this weekend, wish me luck...!

Atlas Woodworking

Holy smokes I picked up this 1962 Starcraft on Wednesday for $200. I was looking for a parts boat that I could strip cleats, mechanical components, and other odds and ends off. I think the trailer that it came on is alone worth at least $500, at least that's what they seem to go for in my area. Anyhow, that's a steal. The motor, control components, hell even the gas tanks are a complete system. Is anyone familiar with Scott motors? that's what this has (a 27.7 hp). The cleats are pretty cool too, they have a nice 60's look to them. I'm a bit torn between gutting this thing for my Zip or just fixing it up too and having fun, granted the motor has any life in it. What would you do?
PXL_20201030_161545386.MP.jpg
PXL_20201030_161558246.MP.jpg
PXL_20201030_161603578.MP.jpg
Last edited by Atlas Woodworking on Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Atlas Woodworking

Not pictured is the complete bimini top that it came with. It's a little scuzzy but I think after some cleaning and perhaps some bleach or oxi clean it'll look good enough for one more season, err, maybe it's destined for the trash? We'll find out!
PXL_20201030_161615213.MP.jpg
PXL_20201030_161621696.MP.jpg

Steve B.

Post by Steve B. »

I just picked up a boat/trailer combo myself today! I only will use the trailer, which is in great shape and just the size I need. The boat is on Craigslist as I type. It's a Crestliner 16'-ish with a seized Merc 500 50HP 4 cyl. Hopefully I can dump the boat so I can start on the trailer soon!
Building a ZZZIP!

Forge

Post by Forge »

That old motor is pretty cool looking!
Does it still run?
Aerospace Engineer, Pilot, Sailor, Tinkerer and Surf Bum

Gayle Brantuk

Post by Gayle Brantuk »

Quality craftsmanship on your Zip--nice job!

vupilot

Post by vupilot »

Aluminum boats are plain fun. They can be left out in the elements and don't require much at all to maintain. It's pretty easy to see if what you are getting into is solid when buying an old one. That looks like a really good boat to fix up clean up and put a new motor on and have a blast, I kinda hate to see it parted out.

Atlas Woodworking

Gayle Brantuk wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 1:14 pm
Quality craftsmanship on your Zip--nice job!
Thank you Gayle! It's a really fun project, just the thing to keep me busy during the dark winter months. :)

Atlas Woodworking

vupilot wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 7:01 pm
Aluminum boats are plain fun. They can be left out in the elements and don't require much at all to maintain. It's pretty easy to see if what you are getting into is solid when buying an old one. That looks like a really good boat to fix up clean up and put a new motor on and have a blast, I kinda hate to see it parted out.
I share your perspective on that vupilot, I can imagine how much fun my wife and I would have if I tuned this thing up a bit. The registration expires next year so I can only assume it was working within the not too distant past. I'm going to hook a battery up this weekend and get a better understanding of which systems are working and how much work it would take to make the Starcraft operational again.

Atlas Woodworking

Forge wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:05 pm
That old motor is pretty cool looking!
Does it still run?
I'm not sure! This weekend I hope to find out...

Atlas Woodworking

Steve B. wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:28 pm
I just picked up a boat/trailer combo myself today! I only will use the trailer, which is in great shape and just the size I need. The boat is on Craigslist as I type. It's a Crestliner 16'-ish with a seized Merc 500 50HP 4 cyl. Hopefully I can dump the boat so I can start on the trailer soon!
Nice! I'm excited to see what you do with your trailer.

Atlas Woodworking

Today I scribed in my chine logs to the stem/breasthook assembly. It was a pretty easy process once I figured out how I was going to hold the material in place, but I must admit I stalled for over two weeks figuring out this part. I drilled two holes in my shop floor and sunk threaded inserts in, then screwed in some eye bolts. Add ratchet straps and voila, a sturdy and confident system.

Here's the left side fully scribed in, no more fitment needed.
PXL_20201122_205206260.MP.jpg
Here's the right side, I'll do one more trim cut to get full contact on the face of the chine.
PXL_20201122_205216492.MP.jpg
I'm real happy to see things moving, albeit slowly.
PXL_20201122_205330950.MP.jpg

Hercdrvr

Post by Hercdrvr »

Nice chine landing!
Matt B

Return to “Small outboards”