Minnesota Squirt Build

Outboard designs up to 14'

Moderator: ttownshaw

hoodman

Re: Minnesota Squirt Build

Post by hoodman »

I like having interior parts removable. Or at least not glued in. Unless it's structural.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

JimmY

Post by JimmY »

My seat back is permanent since it ties into the rear decking, but the bottom is removable. I have supports at each batten and a few screws secure it in place.

Add some drain holes along the back/bottom joint so you don't have water collect there.
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

brockj

Post by brockj »

Thanks for the advice, I have ordered some threaded inserts to mount into the blocking I added to support the frame of the seat. I will probably do a permanent back like Jimmy did. Finished the encapsulation on the inside so hopefully before Christmas I will finish the deck framing and wiring. Sterring is being delivered tomorrow, still need to figure out the wiring. At this point I am thinking a GPS speedo and a bluetooth radio on the dash, navigational lights, and I had thought about a bilge pump. For the bilge, would I just plumb it out the side? That is how it is on my newer fishing boat. Also, I haven't drilled for the drain plug yet, I have seen most have a brass drain tube. Anyone have any recommendations on that? Looks like you need a tool to finish it off. I was considering skipping it, but thinking in the long run will be better to have.

JimmY

Post by JimmY »

I have a brass drain tube on each side of the keel. Drill the holes over sized and encapsulate the holes before installing the tubes. My bilge pump empties into the splash well, but over the side is the normal way.

I have an extra tube and the flaring tool. They are your's for the shipping cost. Just payfoward the tool, or hang on to it since I may need it back some day. :wink:
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

brockj

Post by brockj »

Wow Jimmy that would be super helpful! PM incoming.

Got to do a little work today, got the back of the seat put together and gluing up, as well as the radius blocking at the stern. Had to reposition the steering wheel to be a little more comfortable, very glad I mocked it up with some scrap pine!

Return to “Small outboards”