Jim's Michigan Zip

Outboard designs up to 14'

Moderator: ttownshaw

laubenthal

Re: Jim's Michigan Zip

Post by laubenthal »

Progress report,
Brest hook, transom knee pieces and one stem piece rough cut.
Once I get the other stem piece cut I will screw them together and off to the sander.
The transom is marked but haven't figured out how to cut it yet. My band saw will only tilt in one direction. My jigsaw really has a lot of tare out with this plywood, maybe try some different blades on scrap.
I have heard that you can prevent or at least lessen tare out if you go over the lines with a razer knife before cutting.
Attachments
PXL_20210205_184435271.jpg
Jim

Steve B.

Post by Steve B. »

Yes the pre-scoring trick works great. And get yourself a good quality jig saw blade (Fine wood...18+ TPI) Just saw away from the score line and trim to fair with a sharp block plane. Be sure to score exactly where you want to end up. And practice on scraps!
Building a ZZZIP!

laubenthal

Post by laubenthal »

Cut out my transom.
The pre-scoring worked great, I either had to go out in the cold and snow to buy a smoother cutting blade or stay with the progressive blade I have. I stay home. The only real tare out was a small area on the starboard edge about center. I want to finish above the water line bright, but I don't think that small spot will be terribly obvious.
If you look at the bottom edge you will see where I want off course and gouged too deep.
That can be fill when I fair the hull. That edge will be painted.
Attachments
PXL_20210206_160518631.jpg
Jim

laubenthal

Post by laubenthal »

Productive weekend, got the hardwood transom backing pieces cut out , I over cut the outside edges by about 3/8" , I will fair them after temporarily attaching them to the transom.
I assembled frames 2 and 4 and left them in the garage with a torpedo heater until they where cured enough to move to my basement, way too cold out not to and I will only run the heater when I am awake.
Attachments
PXL_20210207_223525423.jpg
PXL_20210207_223429146.jpg
Jim

JimmY

Post by JimmY »

Nice looking frames, Jim. It is supposed to be much colder this weekend. :(
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

laubenthal

Post by laubenthal »

thanks Jim,
it was 5 degrees when I left for work this morning.
I think I will hold off on anything involving epoxy until it warms up a bit. still have cutting shaping milling and getting my reclaimed lumber ready for the build form.
between work and household duties (which also involves nightly card games with the Mrs.)
there is really no time to work on the boat during the week anyway.
Jim

JimmY

Post by JimmY »

What, the Mrs. can't sand or drive a paint brush? :lol:
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

laubenthal

Post by laubenthal »

What a rollercoaster this build is!!!
I went to a marine dealer yesterday to price out a few things in including a trailer and an motor.
The plus side is a nice Karavan trailer for $1200. Nice deal.
Minus side a 30 hp motor average price is around $7K.and throttle controls not included, that's another $500.
I looked around and found new older models for under $4K but!!! They are all long shaft , in fact the more I looked the more I realized that finding an acceptable short shat motor is going to be quite difficult or expensive.
Problem is I already cut my transom for short shat.
I figure I either pay up or keep searching. Or. Buy another sheet of plywood and cut a new transom with the motor extension.
I even discussed it with my wife whether to spend $155 for another sheet .
Moving along, just got done blowing snow and while I was putt my tractor away I notice the leftover bit of 3/4 leaning against the wall and saw it looked quite big. I held the already cut transom up to it and found it is more than enough to recut another transom with. Yay!!!
Jim

hoodman

Post by hoodman »

Dang, I bought a new 90hp for 8k. I would keep calling until you find a better deal. Or it could be that outboards are another victim of the virus tax.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

Steve B.

Post by Steve B. »

Hi Jim, I just took delivery of a brand new 40 HP 4 Stroke Mercury EPT model for $6025. Short Shaft. I was able to negotiate between a couple of local dealers here, saved about $600 off list. Hope this helps! (The lead time was 12 weeks)
--Steve
Building a ZZZIP!

chugalug

Post by chugalug »

:D I got a couple of older Johnson 6 horses you could put on.Sure,you won't go very fast,but the milage would be fantastic.Think of the savings! :lol: :lol: They haven't run for 10 years,no electric start so you don't have batteries to charge :lol:
Working on regular-sized Bo-Jest

"If it's not crooked,It's not mine

laubenthal

Post by laubenthal »

Steve B. wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:15 pm
Hi Jim, I just took delivery of a brand new 40 HP 4 Stroke Mercury EPT model for $6025. Short Shaft. I was able to negotiate between a couple of local dealers here, saved about $600 off list. Hope this helps! (The lead time was 12 weeks)
--Steve
It does help, I am not in a hurry so I can wait until I find a good deal.
Jim

laubenthal

Post by laubenthal »

chugalug wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:40 pm
:D I got a couple of older Johnson 6 horses you could put on.Sure,you won't go very fast,but the milage would be fantastic.Think of the savings! :lol: :lol: They haven't run for 10 years,no electric start so you don't have batteries to charge :lol:
You know? I think if I build a wide motor board I might be able to fit about three of them on there. They might be different makes but a can of spray paint will take care of that.
Jim

Return to “Small outboards”