Zip build tallie

Outboard designs up to 14'

Moderator: ttownshaw

capt.woody

Zip build tallie

Post by capt.woody » Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:21 pm

I counted up all the reciepts on my build this includes the book on how to fiberglass a boat and boat builders hand book from Glen L. It came to a grand total of $2685 and some change for the material and new hardware, paint products.I was able to get a good deal on all the mahog by buying a left over part of a unit through a warehouse under a friends contract lic. The oak I used for the keel and battens and the ash for the floor boards from my local hard wood mill [my girl and his went to school together]. He let me go through and hand pic from the wear house before it hit the show room floor nice to have friends. Bought all the epoxy and glass kit from Glen L. I did incapsulate the inside and the top with there poly shield great product by the way!! Then the other money...... $350 for a trailer on craigs list then $250 for my merc mark 35A that I tore down and painted replaced the carb kits and all rubber hoses about $75. I feel I got a beutiful boat for what is invested. Capt. Woody
Attachments
100_1246.JPG
A very good friend once told me it's not what you don't know that will get you....it's what you do know that ain't so :)

Oyster

Re: Zip build tallie

Post by Oyster » Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:26 pm

Yes I say you got a beautifull boat. But man what a scary thought, saving all the reciepts. Thats a death defying act around here.

vupilot

Post by vupilot » Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:56 pm

Its true! You can build it yourself and SAVE!

You spent less than me AND built your boat faster! I'm starting not to like you. Just kidding.
Gee-Whiz, your finish looks smoother than mine too. What did you use on your deck for the clear coat? Automotive product like on the hull?

Great job, very resourceful. You got some very, good deals. 275 for that motor! Wow.

capt.woody

Post by capt.woody » Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:27 pm

I put two coats of poly shield then four coats of automotive clear coat its a PPG top end I did hand sand with a long board after te second coat of claer with 1000 grit paper wet. My arm is still hurting.
A very good friend once told me it's not what you don't know that will get you....it's what you do know that ain't so :)

capt.woody

Post by capt.woody » Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:39 pm

Vupilot you went the extra mile and then some on your build... the decking on your boat ...man I'm soooo jelious the deck is great doing in the strips, I was afraid to try it. Hats off to you my friend. :D Capt.woody

Tom Drake

Post by Tom Drake » Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:38 am

Congratulations Cpt Woody. Your boat is beautiful and your cost shows the value of building your own boat using the resources available to you. But, as a hobbyist for over 65 years, I created a bad habit of destroying receipts because what I don't know never bothered me, or caused unwanted conversations at the dinner table.
Enjoy your Zip.
Tom

billy c

Post by billy c » Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:07 am

Great work capt!
time to get that baby floating :D
-Billy
(insert Witty phrase here)
Billy's Belle Isle website

Return to “Small outboards”