Zip Utility? What's it look like?

Outboard designs up to 14'

Moderator: ttownshaw

gomerrell

Zip Utility? What's it look like?

Post by gomerrell »

I am planning to build the Zip. Planning and reading now. Trying to take my time gathering money, supplies, and information. I am curious what the Zip looks like built out as a wide open utility. Does anyone have any pics of the boat with a wide open floor plan. I have seen the walk through versions but can it be built with nothing in the middle? Almost like the Tuffy's floor plan? Would this compromise the strength or performance of the boat at all?
I am just curious as this floor plan would serve my family of four better than the other versions I have seen.

Thanks folks for all of your help!

Chris in Austin.
The bold and courageous may not live forever but the timid never live.

upspirate

Re: Zip Utility? What's it look like?

Post by upspirate »

Beautiful boat...I forgot that one, and it wasn't in customer photos yet when I compiled my list

Moeregaard

Post by Moeregaard »

Adding a bridge deck will serve as a shear member and stiffen the hull, but a number of Zips have been built as open utilities. Rolando Perez did a nice job building his Zip as a utility, and it can be seen in the archives of the customer photos. We built ours with the bridge deck, to stiffen the hull and because it looks cool. It also gave us a convenient location for the fuel tank. The resulting rear cockpit is pretty small, but I have had two people back there. If I were going to regularly carry four, I would have chosen the utility option, as the Zip is a small boat.

-Mark Shipley
A boat is just a wooden box with no right angles.

gomerrell

Post by gomerrell »

Wow! Thanks Guys! Robert Greco's boat is beautiful and I love the photos and step by step portions on his site. I think I am going to aim for the utility look. If I can come out half as beautiful as Robert's, I'll be in business.
I found a great source for wood today. Fine Lumber here in Austin TX seems to have it all!

Thanks for the great photos!
CM
The bold and courageous may not live forever but the timid never live.

Return to “Small outboards”