Pee Wee Build ( Melbourne )

Outboard designs up to 14'

Moderator: ttownshaw

hzchevy

Re: Pee Wee Build

Postby hzchevy » Fri May 24, 2013 4:27 pm

Sorry guys its been awhile. LIL INSANE is almost completed. Just finishing off minor details inside like flooring, controls, seating. Unfortunately you wont see it make a splash until the later months of the year now. The weather here now is crappy, cold, windy and rainy.
Ill post some new pics next week. ( currently holidaying) :)
Cheers guys.

hzchevy

Postby hzchevy » Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:19 pm

Gday guys.
I did promise some new pictures so here you go.
Its now winter down here in Australia and where I am its been bloody cold so I havent done a great deal more. Ive added some marine carpet in the rear where I made two compartments and filled them with foam and the third compartment is for storage under the fire extinguisher. Ive finally finished setting and testing the engine steering, throttle and gear engagement. Oh and yesterday I purchased a proper trailer.
Slowly but surely its getting there.
Question: I would like to install a speedo. Are the Sahara 0-35mph gauages any good??
Attachments
IMG_0523i.jpg
IMG_0516i.jpg
IMG_0519i.jpg

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:40 am

Look's Great!!! Not familiar with the Sahara gages. I would keep a fun little boat like the PeeWee simple. Why not just check the RPM with tiny tach to make sure you are propped correctly and use a hand held GPS to check the speed just for curiosity sake.

Roberta :D :D :D :D :D
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

travis24

Postby travis24 » Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:10 am

Looks like your right there. looking foreward to see it in the water!

Travis :shock: 8) :D
It's like anything you Build. You have to be Patient.

Measure Twice, cut Once.

Keep em Alive ! Vintage & Antique outboards

www.liquidassetsonline.org

hzchevy

Postby hzchevy » Sun Jul 21, 2013 3:44 am

Gday guys. Quick update on the PeeWee. Its currently winter and the snow is falling so dont expect to see it in the water yet. This weekend however I have finally finished the interior (which has had several changes already due to me being unsatisfied). Ive gone over the entire boat from front to back checking everything is ready and today I fired it up for the first time to check my own home made throttle/shift mechanism. (I have a video but not sure how to post it).
All is set for the coming spring/summer in a month or so :)
Ive had an exceptional amount of interest ( and Im spreading the Glen-L word) in the boat and am getting pretty excited for the unveiling. I am though, wondering how its going to sit and handle in the water :?
Anyway cheers for now.
Attachments
IMG_0793i.jpg
IMG_0798i.jpg

chubs

Postby chubs » Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:51 am

Looks great! If you want to post the video, youtube or vimeo.com are your best bets.
Have you considered putting a windscreen on it? Just to keep the water out of your lap in case the bow dips under a wave.

hzchevy

Postby hzchevy » Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:57 am

Thanks Chubs. I have thought about a windscreen but I think Im pushing it abit. I went a little over the top already. Besides its only a PEEWEE lol. If I could work out an easy design I might think about it. Otherwise I'll leave the windscreen to the next boat :)

polarisman14

Postby polarisman14 » Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:40 am

It's approaching summertime for you guys now, getting down near the freezing mark over here for us in northern USA...I'm looking forward to seeing some pics and videos of this on the water soon. I'm around 200lb and am looking to build one of these as a fun little project for my next boat (building a flying saucer now, but I think a pee wee would be great for when I eventually have kids!).

hzchevy

Postby hzchevy » Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:29 am

G'day guys. I am happy to report that over the weekend my peewee LIL INSANE was finally launched and tested. I had waited a very long time for this time. I was absolutely wrapped with the weekend. The boat is amazing and drew a fair bit of attention from the locals both at the lake and with talk later that night at the pub. As I said it was a test day and not everything went to plan.
I have a few design issues to sort out but with a bit of mucking around managed to get it to plane.
What a rocket with the mercury 9.9hp it flys along quite nicely and turns like you wouldn't believe.
Ok so the issues I have are:
1. I need to reposition my seat forward as there is to much weight in the rear. No big issue I just sat further forward.
2. The porpoising was quite uncomfortable. What are people's thoughts on installing trim tabs. Do you think this will help without adding to much extra weight to the front?
3. Need to wedge the outboard to gain more trim as my transome is to straight.

All in all I was very pleased with the whole package. I've already started work on the new seating position and have drawn up plans for some adjusted trim tabs either side of the outboard.

hzchevy

Postby hzchevy » Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:31 am

I did try to add some pictures and video but I'm working off an iPad and the pictures end up upside down :( and video won't load. Any ideas??

Trackhappy
Location: Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia. Building Gentry.

Postby Trackhappy » Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:32 am

Chevy,

If you start now you can make IAGG at Port Macquarie.... :)
By the time I have built a boat, I'll be ready to build a boat....

Trackhappy
Location: Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia. Building Gentry.

Postby Trackhappy » Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:34 am

hzchevy wrote:I did try to add some pictures and video but I'm working off an iPad and the pictures end up upside down :( and video won't load. Any ideas??

You have to edit the photo's and turn them upside down before you post them, not sure how on an ipdad, being a Microsoft Guy..... :lol:
By the time I have built a boat, I'll be ready to build a boat....

chubs

Postby chubs » Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:03 am

Congrats! Very exciting. Now i wish i could build mine!

Post the pics and video as-is if you want, i'm happy to flip them for you and hopefully get the video working if you dont mind.

Maybe for the porpoising, get outboard fins like this, might be helpful? Who knows.

vupilot

Postby vupilot » Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:09 am

For the videos I think you have to load to a hosting site like youtube then post the link for us here. I've never had any luck posting them directly.

I would attach a hydrofoil on the motor lower unit and try it again. http://reviews.cabelas.com/8815/019100/ ... ort=rating

Ha, I see chubbs and I had the same idea...

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:31 am

Congrats on the launch. Moving the seat a bit more forward might solve some balance issues and smooth the ride out. I know my Zip likes to porpoise a little when the weight is too far aft. Is that seat location per the plans?

Roberta :D
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

Return to “Small outboards”