Pee Wee Build ( Melbourne )

Outboard designs up to 14'

Moderator: ttownshaw

Lil Jon

Re: Pee Wee Build

Postby Lil Jon » Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:29 pm

I would suggest making one change at a time. Moving the seat forward will probably take care of the proposing. The Pee Wee I built for my daughter will porpoise if I sit too far to the rear, if I slide forward it stops proposing!

I started with a 5.5 hp engine and it would not get on plane with my 60 lb daughter on board, I then tried a 10 hp and it would run 21 mph with the both of us in it-- that's a combined weight of 250 lb. I would have to lean forward over the deck to allow it to get on plane but once it was on plane I could sit comfortable. Later I installed a 15 hp Johnson and I no longer have to lean forward to get on plane. When you hit the throttle it jumps out of the water and on plane in a flash and will carry the two of us at 27 mph and has enough power to pull her sister on the kneeboard!

chubs

Postby chubs » Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:43 pm

Lil Jon wrote:and will carry the two of us at 27 mph and has enough power to pull her sister on the kneeboard!

Wow, that's incredibly powerful for a tiny little boat! :)

hzchevy

Postby hzchevy » Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:26 am

I have managed to upload some short videos to YouTube.

Me riding on board:
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=i4fa8hLSHD ... =c4-feed-u

These ones are with my mate going for a ride:
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=P1sM9SpAPu ... =c4-feed-u

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=chrYYxRAqC ... =c4-feed-u

polarisman14

Postby polarisman14 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:24 am

That looks like an awesome area to go boating! Is the water normally that high or are you guys flooded out there?

What are you seeing for mph on there and with what size engine? I'm thinking based on others' ideas of going with a 15hp when I build mine eventually, and when I have kids interested in using it I can mount a manual stop right to the carling so they can only use just over enough throttle to get on plane.

I'm living vicariously through you--heading into winter right now and I just winterized my fiberglass boat and motor a few days ago.

vupilot

Postby vupilot » Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:13 pm

You did an amazing job on your PeeWee! It looks like it rides nice and the motor sounds great. It doesn't look like you need to do as much trimming as you made it sound. A couple minor tweaks and you'll have it dialed in. 8)

hzchevy

Postby hzchevy » Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:09 am

Thank you guys for the kind words.
I launched the boat on Lake Eildon. It is primarily an irrigation dam so the level is continually changing. It's a great recreational area. I have a 9.9 mercury on the back. At the moment I need to lean forward to get it onto a plane but hoping some changes are going to fix that. :) haven't checked its top speed out yet but seems to go quite well.
I've had such a good time building this pee wee it's been suggested I add some tunes for cruising. So to add a little weight up front (which I need) I'm toying with the idea of a small battery and stereo. :)

SeaPea

Postby SeaPea » Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:14 am

congrats on your launch hz! nice work!

chubs

Postby chubs » Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:00 pm

Here are the photos:

Last edited by chubs on Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

hzchevy

Postby hzchevy » Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:30 am

Chubs your a legend. Thanks heaps for putting those pictures up for me. :D

I've been out this afternoon and brought more supplies for a weekend of boat modifying/improvements.

chubs

Postby chubs » Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:42 am

I notice you got a rego sticker mounted inside on the port side in a plastic holder - I didn't think we needed to register boats with under 10hp in australia? Or is it under 5hp? Was it hard to get through all the paperwork? In NSW its terrible from what i've heard.

hzchevy

Postby hzchevy » Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:23 am

Yeah it's fully registered. Every state has different laws but In Victoria it has to registered.
I had to have proof of materials and receipts showing that I built it and I can never really sell it to anybody because it doesn't have an ABP ( Australian Builders Plate). Any boat sold in most states but not all has to have a ABP. To obtain an ABP, I would have had to had it tested for buoyancy, weight limit, carrying capacity etc by the proper authorities.

You can be an owner/builder of a boat without an ABP because you take full responsibility for what happens to it. It must be safe and seaworthy. The laws are very hazy.
It was a little mucking around but nothing traumatic.

The worse part was I took all the proper documents, engine number, reciepts etc into the rego office and it took less than 5 minutes to get a rego number. I stressed out for nothing.

hzchevy

Postby hzchevy » Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:11 am

Hopefully this pic is right way up :)
I had a lazy weekend so thought I'd tackle some mods to LIL INSANE.
First up I've made my own custom adjustable trim tabs. I even went as far as making the rubber bushes between the adjusters and mounting brackets. Came up alright I think. I'm still yet to finish the tabs as they will be covered in checker plate sheeting.
I really have be bitten by the bug. I love working on this boat.

Unfortunately I have big dreams for another boat but not a big enough wallet :)
Attachments
image.jpg

hzchevy

Postby hzchevy » Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:23 am

Sorry about the picture orientation :(
So after my launch and trail run a couple of weeks ago I came home and redesigned
A few things. I added my own designed trim tabs, added more angle to the outboard
with wedges and moved the seating position forward more.
By far the biggest challenge surprisingly has always been the seating. Position, Height, and comfort.
Hope to test it again in the coming weeks.

Oh and this time I'll be wearing my Glen-l boat builder cap :)
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

polarisman14

Postby polarisman14 » Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:44 am

Looks like the changes came out awesome. This is a really neat project and it's nice to see that it can actually carry someone around 200lbs as that's where I am at. When I build one eventually I will likely put a small bench seat all the way across so I can carry my kid(s) with me in it. Keep up the great work.

Lil Jon

Postby Lil Jon » Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:35 am

I'm looking forward to hearing about your next boat ride. Looks like you won't have any problems this time, nice work.

Return to “Small outboards”