epoxy

Outboard designs up to 14'

Moderator: ttownshaw

red

epoxy

Post by red » Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:34 pm

is there any where to get good epoxy cheaper than a hundred dolllars a gal i dont mean to sound cheap but dang im on a budget

Dave Grason

Re: epoxy

Post by Dave Grason » Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:28 pm

I so totally feel your pain. It is one of the reasons my own project has stalled for so long. I simply have been so tight on money that there is no way I can rationalize taking the money out to buy the epoxy.

BTW, I need an epoxy to build a thermonuclear support valve which is subject to temperatures above 1000F and come into contact with hydrochloric acid and aromatic hydrocarbons. And I don't want to spend much on it either.

Ok, I'm kidding. I'll build the thermonuclear support valve out of something else. .....maybe Elmer's.
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

Gwoloshyn

Post by Gwoloshyn » Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:53 pm

So far the cheapest gallons I've found are here at Glen-L. Matter of fact, you can buy the gallon epoxy kit, plus application kit, for around the same price as a West System kit without any mixing supplies.

gluedandscrewed

Post by gluedandscrewed » Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:10 am

uscomposites.com

John K

Post by John K » Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:08 am

I used us composites on my kayak and did not like it.

On both boats I used clark craft. Last time I checked, they were cheaper and just as good quality. I did buy my cloth from ebay and saved some money. There are all different types of cloth, so just make sure you understand what you are buying.

Dave Grason

Post by Dave Grason » Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:20 am

John K wrote:I used us composites on my kayak and did not like it.
Can you be more specific and say exactly what it was that you didn't like about it? I ask because, while I fuss about the price, I will often worry that I could cause problems down the road if I use inferior materials. If this is the case, I may still fuss, but I'll man up and spend what I have to spend to achieve a good result with the project. And that's most likely one of the bigger reasons why my Zip project has stagnated for as long as it has.
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

gluedandscrewed

Post by gluedandscrewed » Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:42 am

to each his own i guess,,,i built my monte carlo with the stuff from us comp. tried system 3 and other than the 2/3s saving in price saw absolutely no difference,,, than again,, to each his own

red

Post by red » Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:22 am

thanks for the replies everyone ill look at us comp. andalso keep looking in the end i may just go ahead and order from glen l ineed to save when i can but biggest problem with ordering is i cant stand to wait on stuff to get here

upspirate

Post by upspirate » Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:28 am

Unless you have a supplier in your town or nearby,you will be waiting on anyone.

I used both Glen-L Poxy-Sheild and another local co.

I've had more problems with the local stuff....bad blush etc.

I've heard that the cheaper epoxies have worse blush problems.

kens

Post by kens » Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:54 am

I have not had any problems with uscomposites
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

ttownshaw

Post by ttownshaw » Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:43 pm

red, I sent you a PM. Check your inbox. :D
Bill

I told my wife we needed a three-car garage for my projects...she told me to ask her for permission next time before I buy a house.
http://www.unitybuild.net

rjlemay sherman ct

Post by rjlemay sherman ct » Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:35 pm

Hi Red,
I used the West System epoxy on the Squirt project, and yes it was about $100, each time. I was lucky, because the young salesman at the local lumberyard would sell it to me for their cost. If I got the other guy, he'd charge me wholesale, and it would be $140 for the gallon of resin and hardener. Yeouch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.... 6+ gallons for this project. Don't skimp here.
Bob Lemay

Rob Myran

Post by Rob Myran » Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:12 pm

I looked around a bit. It looks to me like Glen-L's store is pretty darned price competitive. Given that, I always try to support them since I am building a Minuet, and want them to still be in business when I build an Amigo.
The only cheaper epoxy I found was Marinepoxy, but I have no experience with it so I could not give a a yay or nay.

I have used PoxyShield, System Three, and West System on my Minuet and other projects. All good. I buy West System at a local marine store by the quart, because that is my best way to keep the cash flow down even though it is ultimately more expensive that way. It is often easier to come up with $35 or $40 than $130. Since the boat building project is staged over time, I find it is not a hassle.

One other thing you could do is put some money aside each week or pay period until you have the amount for the gallon of the kind you like.
Another fine mess I've gotten myself into!

John K

Post by John K » Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:08 am

When I used US Composites, I also had more blush that with Clark Craft. I used US on the bottom that I was going to paint and Clark Craft on the deck that was going to show the wood. Also, US seemed to take alot longer to set up.

Gwoloshyn

Post by Gwoloshyn » Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:59 am

I'm glad I found out about this US composites. I think I'll be using it for ecapsulating because I'll be painting over it anyway. For the fiberglass though I'll be using the Glen-L kit.

Return to “Small outboards”