Short Shaft Motor or Long Shaft Motor for Zip, which one??

Outboard designs up to 14'

Moderator: ttownshaw

Lachlan1

Re: Short Shaft Motor or Long Shaft Motor for Zip, which one??

Post by Lachlan1 »

Wow, Thanks for all of your responses, it always amazes me the quality of responses on these forums.
Still collecting materials for my build. I’ve had the plans for a while now but Just want to plan it out before I start the build. I had originally thought I’d cater for a long shaft as I was looking second hand and they are more common nowadays. I think I’ll go with the short shaft as I agree it does look sleeker.
I’ve decided that for me to make it the best I can it should have a brand new/reliable/quiet motor. I might look at the 30hp instead, just to keep the weight down as we tend to have pretty bad roads around.

Thanks again for your responses. :D

Lachlan1

Post by Lachlan1 »

Hercdrvr wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:59 am
A new 40 hp Yamaha is 215 lbs, Sounds like a good engine for the Zip if your transom is built to specs with quality materials. I’m with Chris on road chop, I cringe watching the Malahini in my rear view mirror over bumps, but it’s been bouncing around back there for 3 years now with no major damage.
Matt B
I know it’s probably been asked before but I can’t for the life of me find the thread, what weight motor would be ideal for the zip so that it sits nicely in the water? 215lbs seems heavy from what I can find. Most builds I look at with older 40-50hp motors seem to sit around 130-150lbs and not many above that.

Moeregaard

Post by Moeregaard »

Our Zip has a 1956 Mercury Mark 55 on our Zip, and it sits very nicely in the water. I believe the motor weighs around 120 lbs. The boat runs really well, but we do have to deal with the temperamental nature of an older motor. You can see our boat in Customer Photos.

Others have installed larger/heavier motors with good results, but some have resorted to moving the fuel tank and battery forward. I can tell you that our boat has trouble getting on plane with two adults in the aft cockpit, so I'd try to keep the motor weight to a minimum. Our eight-gallon fuel tank is directly behind the front seat and we experience no trim change as fuel burns off.

-Mark Shipley

One Zip, Two Can-Yaks, What's next?
A boat is just a wooden box with no right angles.

Return to “Small outboards”