Andy's Zip build

Outboard designs up to 14'

Moderator: ttownshaw

Andy Garrett

Re: Andy's Zip build

Post by Andy Garrett » Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:48 pm

Seating is completed. Some paint and then on to some of the mechanical stuff
Andy Garrett

Perhaps the slowest Zip build in Glen-L history...

Wood Nut

Post by Wood Nut » Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:29 am

Looking good Andy!
Charlie K.
Building a Flying Saucer

Andy Garrett

Post by Andy Garrett » Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:37 pm

Thanks Charlie!

I built the floor boards the other day. Each is a custom fit with it's own instalation strategy. I want them removable for inspections, but I want them fast when under way. I'm thinking about velcro, but also the creative use of shock cord. I have yet to decide.

The seat backs and bottoms have been drilled for screws, but I'm leaning toward heavy duty velcro for those as well. Stainless staples (which I have) should work. This would make upholstery easier for me as well.

I painted everything on the top sides. I'll use Poxy-Shield on the undersides.

Here are some pics:
The first two are at frame 4 (front seat). The second two are at frame 2 (back seat).
Andy Garrett

Andy Garrett

Post by Andy Garrett » Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:42 pm

The pics of my boat are fairly uninspiring, I admit. It's a whole lot of white paint right now (albiet, EXPENSIVE white paint).

I wish I could have done the blacks, browns, and warmer tones, but you have to have suffered a Kansas summer to understand. Two solid weeks with not a day under 100 degrees and 90s for weeks on either end... brutal. This boat has to be enjoyable.

There will be some bright wood on the deck, and perhaps a splash or two on the interior, but that's it.

It won't be as pretty as most, but it will be strong and comfortable. :D
Andy Garrett

Andy Garrett

Post by Andy Garrett » Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:22 pm

Trying to get the steering set up up today. The 13 foot cable was a bit long for my boat, but it'll work I think.
As you can see in the pic, the clearance is about 1/8" over the helm. Not much room for fairing.
I also scrubbed my motor down with a scrub brush, toothbrush and Dawn. It's squeaky clean now!
I also test fitted my name test decal. Fun day!

Andy Garrett

Paul Kinneberg

Post by Paul Kinneberg » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:23 am

Looking Good!

Iggy

Post by Iggy » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:58 am

Andy you are being a bit hard on yourself. Your build is looking good, and 1/8" clearance is better than -1/8" clearance and having to dig it out with a chisel (no, I am not going to tell you where I did that).

The inspiring part comes when you start adding the hardware bling to the top surface. All those last little touches is what makes it start to look 'real'... and I remember how the floor work seemed to drag on FOREVER... not as much fun working on your knees trying to fit-up the floor sheets.

You're at that stage in the build, coating inside surfaces, making floors, trial-fitting some hardware, it takes a long time and is not as dramatic a change as adding plywood to the hulls or flipping the boat.

The deck will go surprisingly fast compared to the floor, not having to kneel down all the time is a big bonus to work-speed.

I was thinking velcro as well for holding down the upholstered plywood bench and seat backs. I am using bolts right now, but might swap it over to velcro if my bolts ever strip. My front seat-bottoms are friction fit and I have no trouble at all with 'bouncing', even on big chop at 40 MPH.
Ian (aka Iggy)
My Malahini Build

sawford11

Post by sawford11 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:36 pm

Andy - your boat is looking good. Regarding the white interior, I think that is one of the great things about creating your own boat....you can do it the best way that suit your own personal need. Also, what you may be seeing as a lot of white will be covered by your deck, seats, interior, etc. It's going to look great.

Is your steering the teleflex NFB? If so, and the clearance is bothering you, you could consider getting the tilt hardware. I opted for the additional hardware. I think it set my back and extra $25 +/-. The 20 degree tilt will result in a lower helm.

Barra

Post by Barra » Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:19 am

Looking good Andy, love the wheel too. I understand what you mean about the white for use in summer, quite similar here in Perth so will probably do the same.

Think we have the same outboard, except your's is in 1 piece....

Andy Garrett

Post by Andy Garrett » Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:49 pm

Thanks for the kind words Iggy.

Yes Sawford, that is the NFB helm, but I don't think that a tilt is in the cards. I looked at it hard when I was preparing to purchase, but I'm all in with what I have.

Barra, yea that looks to be an engine of the same vintage as mine, but yours is a 402 short shaft, while mine is a 500 long shaft.

I hung the motor today for the first time. The cav plate lined up perfectly with the keel. I was worried about that. I got it centered and drilled the holes.

I also test fit the steering set-up, and built the mount for the motor controls. It was a good day!

Andy Garrett

Paul Kinneberg

Post by Paul Kinneberg » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:50 pm

Looks good Andy!,

Bill CNC

Post by Bill CNC » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:35 pm

Andy,

It's looking real nice. I like the white interior, ... :wink:
Bill

TNT Build, ... On Going, ... http://tinyurl.com/abmae64

The Freebie Zip, ... On Going, ...http://tinyurl.com/at3udss

Super Spartan Build "Miss Tripindicular", ... Completed, ...http://tinyurl.com/b488wsz

Gayle Brantuk

Post by Gayle Brantuk » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:23 am

Very exciting Andy! She's looking great--keep up the good work!

vupilot

Post by vupilot » Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:31 am

Its really coming together. From here to finish is a quite enjoyable part of the build.

Daddy O

Post by Daddy O » Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:05 pm

Hello Andy

I read all the new posting here daily. Listening to each of you in your hurdles and stumbles has become helpful.

You mentioned you had a good day. Aren't they all? Just some are a lot better than others?

Keep on, keeping on.

I do like your boat build.

Owen
Daddy O
Denison, Texas
If it ain't broke, Don't fix it.

Return to “Small outboards”