Andy's Zip build

Outboard designs up to 14'

Moderator: ttownshaw

DrBryanJ

Re: Andy's Zip build

Post by DrBryanJ » Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:17 am

Michael, I believe your thoughts on seating are correct. Andy, I think the webbing idea is a good one, but don't have a suggestion for material. If you use leaf springs, can they be too bouncy? Don't cars have shock absorbers to control the springs occilation?

Bryan
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."

Andy Garrett

Post by Andy Garrett » Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:32 am

Agreed. Leaf springs are not my first choice.
Andy Garrett

Perhaps the slowest Zip build in Glen-L history...

Mr Hot Rod

Post by Mr Hot Rod » Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:28 pm

Andy,

We initially tried rubber webbing but it had too much flex, so we replaced it with seat belt webbing.
Here's a link to our build thread : Click here for more photos.

Building the Glen-L Hot Rod : http://www.kanecustomboats.com

Glen-L Boat Video Directory : http://www.kanecustomboats.com/pages/vi ... ctory.html

Cribbsy

Post by Cribbsy » Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:16 am

Hi Andy, I've just picked up a 1972 long shaft merc 500 for my Zip build and just wondering how you find yours on the back? I cant seem to open the photos in your posts about the motor for some reason. Interested to see how it looks mounted up and top speed etc. Congrats on a beautiful boat!

Cheers, Greg

Andy Garrett

Post by Andy Garrett » Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:59 pm

Wow. I missed a couple sorry guys. Been a busy year now that I live 1500 miles away from where I when last I posted here.
Greg, by now you've likely discovered that the long shaft does just fine. My top speed with a 13 pitch prop is 34mph I think.
Andy Garrett

Andy Garrett

Post by Andy Garrett » Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:13 pm

So..., i pulled the boat out and hauled it to the mechanic for lower end service (I didnt enjoy that task). I picked it up at lunch today and have it here at work.
I was looking at it in the harsh light of day and see much to do. 2 years of dirt is bad enough, but my epoxy coating is failing under the clear-coated areas. The opaque areas are better but the clear coat there sufferes a bit there too. Since my finish was never real smooth, i have white wax in some crevices.
My marine ply floor-boards are suffering from a bit of splitting. Dings everywhere have exposed small nicks of raw wood.
Heres the deal..., it took 3.5 years to build. It had three seasons on the water and one in the garage. If left as is, it will deteriorate rapidly as wood degradation is not a constant--it accelerates.
The Supermarine Ironsides on the hull is doing fine with only a few nicks to correct on sharp corners. The Benjamin More Polyamid paint inside the hull is remarkable! I used no epoxy there--just this white paint! Only the floorboards need repainted.
The upholstery was always an amateur job and needs a professional touch once I settle on new seating. The windshields are still Lexan and need to be glass. Lots of fit and finish items to address.
It is now very clear to me that as I neared completion, I sped up and cut corners--talking myself into liking my poor choices.
The chickens have come home to roost.
Bright work is out. I want minimal maintenance and have no desire to spend a week's vacation every year stripping and reapplying varnish.
Thanks for all the great suggestions.
Stay tuned.
Andy Garrett

vupilot

Post by vupilot » Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:07 pm

Welcome back Andy!

An all painted boat can certainly be classy and striking looking. Go for it and be sure to send us updates. I hope you are feeling at home in Idaho now.

Andy Garrett

Post by Andy Garrett » Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:33 am

Thanks Chris.
Idaho is amazing! Can't wait to do some boating. I will hit the water soon. I'll probably save the boat work for the fall.
Andy Garrett

Return to “Small outboards”