Andy's Zip build

Outboard designs up to 14'

Moderator: ttownshaw

Roberta

Re: Andy's Zip build

Post by Roberta » Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:28 pm

leakcheck wrote:I don't want to know how much I wasted on stuff I never needed or was the wrong thing. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Roberta: I take it we are not including spouses in this group? :twisted: :roll: :wink: :wink: 8) :lol:

Steve

Don't get me wrong...I still own the first one I bought, although I have paid for it many times over! :) :) :) :)
Rich is still my best investment :lol: :D :D :D :D :D :D

Roberta :D :D :D :D :D
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

Andy Garrett

Post by Andy Garrett » Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:37 pm

Isn't there a 'For Sale' section where builders can take a first look for the 'extras' the rst of us bought by mistake? I think I might need that. :wink:
Andy Garrett

Perhaps the slowest Zip build in Glen-L history...

Andy Garrett

Post by Andy Garrett » Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:44 am

Well, the interior is all sanded up as smooth as my tools permit. Painting will tailor the look. I just need to get some of that industrial strength epoxy paint. Then I need to make my decision on a fuel tank and get another couple a hundred dollars worth of mahogany.

I have a couple of questions that I'll post in a separate thread.
Andy Garrett

Andy Garrett

Post by Andy Garrett » Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:05 pm

Ordered a Moeller fuel tank. I got the 13gal because it's shape allows it to be tucked way up under the bow (where I have reluctantly decided to put it). I just couldn't give up any rear seat leg room.

I also picked up some Benjamin Moore Polyamide epoxy paint for the interior. Fortunately, we have a store here in Wichita that handles it. Looking forward to seeing how it works, as it came highly recommended here on the forums.

I also built the carlings today. Seat backs and motorwell if I'm lucky tomorrow.
Andy Garrett

vupilot

Post by vupilot » Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:57 pm

Andy,

Looking into my crystal ball it says you are going to have a very rewarding spring in 2013. :D

Andy Garrett

Post by Andy Garrett » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:12 pm

Yea, progress is good right now. I'm hoping to keep it rolling. Had to order a couple hundred more screws today.

Got the seat backs on at least, and glued everything down.

I'm concerned about fairing the topside for decking. It looks like I may have to take some significant material off. I dont want to weaken the sheer tto much. I know that's to be expected up front when you install the hull sides, but has anyone experienced this on top?

Andy Garrett

Roberta

Post by Roberta » Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:58 am

There shouldn't be a lot taken of the top of the shears, but you need to follow the arc of the frame tops. Keep the edges sharp so the plywood lays down nicely. If you feel areas of the shears are getting thin, build them up on the inside with some scrap.

Roberta :D

Andy Garrett

Post by Andy Garrett » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:59 am

I've done a rough fairing of the sheer, just to make it smooth to work over. During that process, I noticed how much was still to come off. It may wind up being 25-30% of the verticle thickness in places.

Some of this is due to errors in the way I set the sheer in to begin with--things that went unnoticed until the hull was righted. Up front, this manifested itself as one side dipping lower than the other between the forwardmost frame and the stem. The only way to fix this is to lower the high side to meet to lower side and fair everything else to match. Even the bow is being lowered about a half inch into the breasthook, maybe a tad more.

It's just a good illustration of how small errors in set up, imperceptable at the time, can come back to haunt you later. It'll all be fine. It's just gonna be some nerve racking stock removal.
Andy Garrett

vupilot

Post by vupilot » Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:32 am

Andy, I bet I took off almost 1/4" in places on the outside edge of the sheer for it to match the arc of the deck. From looking at the pictures it doesnt look much if any different than what I remember. I wouldnt worry.

Andy Garrett

Post by Andy Garrett » Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:46 pm

Got my tank today. I think it will fit fine.
Andy Garrett

Andy Garrett

Post by Andy Garrett » Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:56 am

So, I built the platform for the fuel tank. I'll paint it first before installation. I'll have to strap the tank down at a bit of an angle to place the fill cap on the centerline.

The choice now is between placing the fill cap almost dead center of the foredeck, or just behind the breasthook. Neither is ideal for filling, but it keeps the tank up front and out of the way. It also promotes getting on plane easier I think.

I'm leaning toward placing it behind the breasthook. This will make is easy to fill with pre-mix while it is on the trailer. I don't foresee needing to re-fuel during a days boating activities, since it will hold 13gals at need (I plan on filling to 6gals for average days).

This craft won't be fueling at marinas if I can help it.

:?: Also..., I found Merton's 97% closed-cell pour foam for $75 per two gallon kit. It's USCG approved and will yield 9 cubic feet. At 63lbs floatation per cubit foot, that'll support 567lbs. I estimated my need at 400lbs with 50HP engine, fuel weight, battery, hardware, steering, etc.

Does this sound ok, or have I made a drastic miscalculation somewhere?
Andy Garrett

Roberta

Post by Roberta » Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:34 pm

Keep on Keepin' on, Andy! Looks good. You could use some 45 deg elbows and a 1 1/2" AL tube to connect your filler on the tank. Then you could install the cap next to the shear along the side. The tank looks to be low enough. Make the platform for the tank level with the keel. I would orient the tank so the pick up tube is aft. That way, when the boat is on plane, the pick up will be low and you won't starve the motor when fuel gets low in the tank. The foam should be fine and the 2 gal. kit should be plenty, since the boat is wood and will help sustain flotation.

Roberta

Andy Garrett

Post by Andy Garrett » Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:39 pm

Hmm..., thanks Roberta. Any idea where to find said elbows?
Andy Garrett

Bill CNC

Post by Bill CNC » Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:47 pm

Andy,

Try a few automotive racing shops for fuel fittings and hoses.
Bill

TNT Build, ... On Going, ... http://tinyurl.com/abmae64

The Freebie Zip, ... On Going, ...http://tinyurl.com/at3udss

Super Spartan Build "Miss Tripindicular", ... Completed, ...http://tinyurl.com/b488wsz

Roberta

Post by Roberta » Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:48 pm

Any NAPA auto parts store will have them. They can be found in their online catalog under fuel filler hose. Here's a link:

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Catal ... 0383252948

You just need to trim the length for your needs and connect with a short 1 1/2" AL or copper tube.

Roberta :D

Return to “Small outboards”