Andy's Zip build

Outboard designs up to 14'

Moderator: ttownshaw

steveh41

Re: Andy's Zip build

Post by steveh41 » Mon May 11, 2015 10:34 am

Andy,

Great looking boat! The windshield really adds a finishing touch and pleasing profile...

Regards,

Steve
The longest journey begins with a single step… then repeat as necessary!

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Fri May 15, 2015 1:51 pm

Wow, Andy, I missed this back in January. Looks fantastic with the windscreen in position.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise named "Some Other Time"

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

Andy Garrett

Post by Andy Garrett » Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:59 am

Two season's on the water now, and, God help me..., I'm considering a new deck. :shock: No time for that--trying to build an airplane. I digress...

I've also finally decided to go with the Bennett SLT tabs. I'm too nose high on take off and have to keep the cooler up under the deck to ride right.

The wife insists on a ladder. After much research, a center pole dive ladder looks like it'll work best, using the engine as a handrail. I'll get some no-slip on the rear deck area for a step.

She also want better drink holders. Admittedly, my first solution while clever, leaves a bit to be desired.

My season with Lexan windshield is a success. I'll tweak the fit as needed and have some tempered glass cut before next season.

I'm happy with my choice to go with absolutely no guages. I have not regretted that, so no change there.

A few spots of touch-up paint around the bow eye will round out the upgrades.
Andy Garrett

Perhaps the slowest Zip build in Glen-L history...

rbrandenstein

Post by rbrandenstein » Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:23 am

Andy,
I added a ladder to my Malahini and have used it several years.
1. Most ladders don't go deep enough to easily get on the first step. For the young it might not be a problem, but for us older folks it was a challenge to get up on the first step. I actually converted my single fold down ladder to a double to get more depth. See pictures.
2. The motor is not a good hand hold to get up. First it can swivel, at least mine does. Second, you need more leverage in a different position to pull up. I added a handle on the deck to pull youself up and on.
3. We just use a rubber backed bath mat on the deck. These are made for showers, etc. Carpet on one side, rubber on the back so it doesn't slip. Works well and easily replaced.

Here is my first ladder.
IMG_0048.JPG
This is the same one but converted to add another section so we can get on easier. When extended, the last section swings forward but is deep enough so it still works. Also, the handle on the deck is visible.
DSCN0607.JPG

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:48 am

rbrandenstein wrote:Andy,
I added a ladder to my Malahini and have used it several years.
1. Most ladders don't go deep enough to easily get on the first step. For the young it might not be a problem, but for us older folks it was a challenge to get up on the first step. I actually converted my single fold down ladder to a double to get more depth. See pictures.
2. The motor is not a good hand hold to get up. First it can swivel, at least mine does. Second, you need more leverage in a different position to pull up. I added a handle on the deck to pull youself up and on.
3. We just use a rubber backed bath mat on the deck. These are made for showers, etc. Carpet on one side, rubber on the back so it doesn't slip. Works well and easily replaced.
Nice fix Bob!. I've been looking for a cleaner approach to this problem.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise named "Some Other Time"

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

Andy Garrett

Post by Andy Garrett » Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:00 am

Thanks Bob. Yours was one of the solutions I studied early on in my initial set up. I decided on a center pole dive ladder for its stowability and narrower profile to better fit the narrow area available on my Zip.

Great tip on the handle. I'll do that too. Thanks again!
Andy Garrett

gap998

Post by gap998 » Thu Sep 10, 2015 3:01 pm

Interesting - in Europe, if you want to sell your boat within 5 years of first use, you have to comply with EU RCD regulations. One of the regulations states that you must be able to re-board the boat from the water if you fall overboard. Your ladder would do the job, looks pretty slick when stowed and is practical too!
Gary

Planning a whole fleet, but starting with a Zip...I think.

"Just when you think you've made something idiot-proof, someone builds a better idiot!"

jstrayer

Post by jstrayer » Sun Feb 07, 2016 6:36 pm

Hey Andy,

I am brand new here and had read how you seem to be located in Wichita,KS was hoping I could chat with you on wood suppliers you used. I live in Hutchinson, KS. I cannot PM yet sorry for the public post.

Jason

Andy Garrett

Post by Andy Garrett » Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:55 am

Since the ride in the back seat is so much smoother than the ride up front, I'm thinking of doing the Flying Saucer thing and going to a rear helm when I get around to re-decking my ship (after the move to Idaho).

I figure I'll get some longer cables and put the battery up front.

Anyone running this way or ridden in such a boat?
Andy Garrett

vupilot

Post by vupilot » Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:47 pm

Redecking ???

Have you ridden in the backseat before Andy? With these old two strokes it is LOUD back there. I couldnt believe the difference.

Andy Garrett

Post by Andy Garrett » Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:01 pm

Hadn't considered that.
hmmm...
Andy Garrett

Andy Garrett

Post by Andy Garrett » Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:26 pm

Chris,
As for re-decking, I just have the 1/4" ply with epoxy and paint. I love my paint job, but I've always wanted the more 'lustrous' style deck enjoyed by you and others.
I've always been inspired by this one:

I like the raised cover boards, lighter wood tones, and those twin antennas are awesome!
There are a few things I'd do differently. It's a someday project.
Andy Garrett

vupilot

Post by vupilot » Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:39 pm

Gotcha, I really like the simplicity of your deck, the paint job jazzes it up perfectly, especially when viewed from above.

BarnacleMike

Post by BarnacleMike » Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:40 pm

Hi Andy,

Instead of converting to rear-seat steering, I wonder if you could soften the ride up front by changing the way the seats are mounted.

I have read some of your comments about the ride in the front seat being a bit rough, and I've taken them to heart. Over the last few years, I've been blessed with the opportunity to ride in several Zips at the Gatherings. I've observed some difference in the ride among different boats, and my belief is that the way the seats are mounted makes a big difference.

Once, in GD Carpenter's Zip, we crossed a wake and the hull came down with a little bit of a "slap" on the water. It wasn't dramatic, but it was enough that the impact jarred my back a little. Now, he built a frankly ingenious floor in his boat, as I'm sure you've seen. His seat mounts appear to be anchored to the floor battens, with a transverse piece upon which the seat is attached. I'm thinking that this arrangement, while solid, does not allow for much dissipation of the impact when the hull hits the water. The vibrations of the impact essentially travel directly from the hull, into the seat mount, and into the passenger. That is my theory, anyway.

By contrast, I got to ride in VuPilot's Zip a the last Gathering. A storm was coming in, and the lake had a modest amount of chop. He sped across it with confidence, and I was really impressed at the smoothness of the ride. His seats are mounted a little differently. He had built a sole, with the boards anchored to the frames (and I believe some blocking), but otherwise not directly attached to the floor battens. A box-frame seat foundation was then mounted on top of the sole. This box-frame supported the plywood of his bench seat.

I believe that this arrangement allows for more dissipation of the impact. When the hull slaps down on the water, the force of the impact travels up and down the floor battens, and from there, into the frames. The boards of the sole would then absorb some vibrations from the frames, and distribute some of that energy into the box frame. The construction of the box frame allows the plywood seat bottom to flex some, further dissipating the impact.

I could be wrong in all of this, but nonetheless this has become my belief based on what I've experienced. I seem to recall that your seats are anchored to the floor battens. If that is the case, then I wonder if that might be contributing to the roughness of the ride up front?

Just a thought. I hope the guys will pardon me for sharing their photos:
Attachments
006.jpg
GD Carpenter's boat, with the seat mounts anchored to the floor battens.
Interior work 003.jpg
Vupilot's boat, with the box-frame for the seats mounted on the boards of the sole.
Interior work 003.jpg (28.66 KiB) Viewed 2390 times
-Michael

Built Utility "Perseverance" — completed Aug 2016
Currently building a Zip
My Boatbuilding Blog: http://barnaclemikeboats.blogspot.com/
My Website of Boat Photos: https://michaelsmaddox.wordpress.com

Andy Garrett

Post by Andy Garrett » Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:40 am

Chris,
Thanks for the compliment! When I get around to a new deck, it will incorporate much of the same aesthetic 'DNA' if you will, as the current visual configuration--I like it too. I just think I can do it better with field boards, cover boards, etc. We shall see...

Mike,
Your point on seat construction is spot on. My seats mount directly to the keel where I have installed twin vertical supports for rigidity. Here's the thing about rigidity: You can have too much of it! :shock:

I've tinkered with the idea of some sort of 'net' seating. That is, I'd replace the bottom ply with some sort of woven strapping. The trick is finding the right material for this. Nylon is an obvious choice for a boat, but I'm convinced it would stretch too much. Aluminum straps might be a solution if I can anchor them well. I've seen this done on home built aircraft (Legal Eagle). Thicker an narrow boards going side to side with no support in the middle might also work. This would be an adaption of Jeff Shipley's Zip, from which I've borrowed many design elements from start to finish.

Heck, I've even considered the tiny leaf springs from a small utility trailer used in the fashion of the old buggy or buck-board seats from the 19th century. Nothing is out of bounds on a homemade boat!
Andy Garrett

Return to “Small outboards”