Stiletto Build

Outboard designs up to 14'

Moderator: ttownshaw

upspirate

Re: Stiletto Build

Postby upspirate » Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:01 pm

Terry, I would do the higher carling height , tapering from way up forward so as to not be ugly and it would also spread the added strain & stress along the whole length

pamelalynne1

Postby pamelalynne1 » Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:33 pm

I simply squared off the transom from the junction of the deck and added 5 inches. The carlings were fitted to mate the side decks and the coamings were cut to mate with the top of the transom. Using 1x12 mahogany for the coamings I was able to provide a good panel on each side at the dash to mount my controls.I also increased the height and thickness of the transom knee (I used two extra 3/4 inch pieces) to bring the splashwell up and set the transom gussets on the inside of the coamings instead of underneath. This gave me a gentle slope on the well to the transom The transom height is about 20.5 inches.
I don't have an outboard for it at this time and haven't drilled for the steering or controls. I can do that when I decide on the motor. The HP will depend on whether I get a buyer on the local Peck's Lake where the limit is 40 or somewhere else. Judging from some of the reports of other Stilettos a 40 should get close to 30 mph and easily pull a water skier. This was the goal when thinking of marketing it to Peck's Lake.
I would tend to put the smallest motor on that will give me the results I want for the sake of economy. The size and design of the motor well should accommodate up to 100 HP with no trouble.

pamelalynne1

Postby pamelalynne1 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:55 pm

It's finally Spring and I was able to get outside the last couple of days and get some work done. Another coat of paint on the side decks and a coat of varnish on the foredeck and today I insalled the seats and console.
March 22 2012 All it needs now is a coat of wax.jpg
March 22 seats and console installed.jpg

March 22 seats and console installed.jpg

slug

Postby slug » Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:34 am

Lookin good pamelalynne :) :) .

Doug

pamelalynne1

Postby pamelalynne1 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:30 am

I have some news out of left field. The owner of a local boat and motor repair businesshas offered to sell me his operation, lock, stock and barrel at a very reasonable price. There is a huge inventory of old motors and parts mostly from the 1950's and 60's. I have access to everything at his cost and any profit I make on sales I can put toward the down payment. Another marina owner had asked me for a 57-59 35 HP Evinrude or Johnson, so I picked this one up yesterday and got it loosened up. It had been sitting for a few years.
100_0519.jpg

100_0522.jpg

100_0521.jpg

BarnacleMike

Postby BarnacleMike » Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:39 am

Wow, congratulations on the opportunity to take over the boat & motor repair business! I hope it all works out well for you!
-Michael

Built Utility "Perseverance" — completed Aug 2016
Currently building a Zip
My Boatbuilding Blog: http://barnaclemikeboats.blogspot.com/
My Website of Boat Photos: https://michaelsmaddox.wordpress.com

fergal butler

Postby fergal butler » Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:44 am

Congrats on the new business sounds like a dream job, it wouldn't suit me as I couldn't bring myself to sell anything :lol:
If you can stick up some more photos of your stock so I can drool over them :D
P.S. the boat looks great.

pamelalynne1

Postby pamelalynne1 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:14 am

Fergal, here is just so much you would be able to keep. I will be selling at least three of my five boats this year. There just isn'r enough room here, or at the business site to keep everything. Besides, it's much better to see these outboards used and giving people pleasure than to have them sitting around taking up space. And if I have a part that will get you back on the lake you wouldn't want me to hoard it, would you? :D

fergal butler

Postby fergal butler » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:55 am

pamelalynne1 wrote:Fergal, here is just so much you would be able to keep. I will be selling at least three of my five boats this year. There just isn'r enough room here, or at the business site to keep everything. Besides, it's much better to see these outboards used and giving people pleasure than to have them sitting around taking up space. And if I have a part that will get you back on the lake you wouldn't want me to hoard it, would you? :D

A your right I wouldn't want you to hoard it :D but I need everything you have to get me back on the lake :lol:

Lowka53

Postby Lowka53 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:00 pm

:lol: problem is now that he has the shop he won't see the lake at all. From past experience being a carpenter I never
had time to build myself a house built plenty for other people. :roll: :wink: :lol:
Don't be afraid to attempt anything. You might surprise your self in the attempt.
http://www.facebook.com/Home.Made.Boat.Building
Bon Voyage-"Wild Flower" 40' house boat being built
14' Mr John-being built
32' Supper Huck-in design

Rod H

pamelalynne1

Postby pamelalynne1 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:59 am

I just posted the Stiletto in the for sale section. I'm trying to put together a down payment for the boat repair business I mentioned. If anyone is interested let me know.

pamelalynne1

Postby pamelalynne1 » Thu May 17, 2012 3:18 pm

I took some time this afternoon to finish the starboard seats. I didn't like the way the back supports looked so I decided to cover them with vinyl.
Finished the starboard seats today Waiting for final parts for the motor build.jpg

View of the back seat.jpg

pamelalynne1

Postby pamelalynne1 » Wed May 08, 2013 4:58 pm

Resurrecting an old topic. :D After a long delay I've been working on the Stiletto again the past several days. I repainted the side decks (I wasn't happy with the black), put the new timer base on the 85 HP Johnson, put it back together, and mounted it today. I wound up with about 10 lbs of negative tongue weight. I might have to get a longer trailer to get the balance over the axle or just put my fuel tank under the foredeck. I still have to route the steering cable, and install the running lights, deck hardware and the controls; but it's finally almost ready to launch.
Mounted the motor today.jpg

pamelalynne1

Postby pamelalynne1 » Fri May 10, 2013 6:29 pm

Almost finished!!!
Steering system installed.jpg
Routed steering cable up through splashwell.jpg
removable floorboards will be carpeted.jpg

Gayle Brantuk

Postby Gayle Brantuk » Mon May 13, 2013 11:59 am

Looking good Pamelalynne--thanks for posting!
Gayle Brantuk
Vice President
Glen-L Marine
Visit our Blog & Create Your Own!

Return to “Small outboards”