Sawford's Zip Build

Outboard designs up to 14'

Moderator: ttownshaw

sawford11

Sawford's Zip Build

Post by sawford11 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:36 am

I hope to use the forum to begin documenting the build of my Zip. I have woodworking experience but have never built a boat before....I am sure my progress will be much slower than many others, but I hope to plug along slow and steady (three kids with soccer, dance, gymnastics, piano keeps me plenty busy already)! I am really excited about the build and can't wait to really get into it.

I received the plans a couple of weeks ago. Spent plenty of time reading, studying, reviewing, and rereading and have also begun to assemble my materials...Bronze hardware, DF Plywood for transom with mahogany frame, white oak for keel and frame members - all lumber is rough, so I still need to plane...I also decided to make the zip with a 20" transom. I used CAD to make the adjustments to the patterns and plotted out a full size transome to transfer onto the plywood. Last night, I made my first cut! Nothing more than simply roughing out some of the materials. Maybe tonight I can run the planer, trace the frame members and cut some of the frames...but probably too tall of an order for one evening.

I recently insulated my workshop, ran a natural gas line and installed heat. Should be good to go for the winter...
Attachments
1/4&quot; plywood for laying out frames<br />rough white oak will be my keel
1/4" plywood for laying out frames
rough white oak will be my keel
these will be frames 4 and 5 1/2
these will be frames 4 and 5 1/2
revised 20&quot; transom
revised 20" transom

vupilot

Re: Sawford's Zip Build

Post by vupilot » Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:24 am

Sounds great, I look forward to following your build.
If doing another Zip I would go with a 20" transom as well, I think you will be happy with that decision. I love the low profile look of the short shaft and 15" transom but finding a 20" motor and installing the steering is easier on on the taller transom.

Roberta

Post by Roberta » Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:31 am

The Zip is a fun boat to build and a fun boat to pilot. Best of luck in the build.

Roberta :D :D :D :D
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

DanaOverall

Post by DanaOverall » Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:04 pm

Have fun but be forewarned......boat building is addicting!! Ask me how I know as I type this with dried epoxy on my fingertips...... :wink:
Dana Overall
Richmond, KY
http://rvflying.tripod.com/

Iggy

Post by Iggy » Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:35 pm

I was you just over 2 years ago, but with Malahini plans and a lot of questions! I have 2 kids in dance, plays, martial arts... you know the drill. I worked mostly on weekends, a few evenings, but its taken just over 2 years to build and will be ready to run in spring 2012.

ZIP's a great boat and I sure you are going to love the process... well maybe not the sanding.. but everything else!!
Ian (aka Iggy)
My Malahini Build

sawford11

Post by sawford11 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:47 pm

I read a bunch of info on the forum and was persuaded to go with the 20" transom. I like the looks both ways, but liked the idea of the easier controls hookup (and also have access to a 50hp long shaft 2 cycle). Both the "Irish Rose" w/ the 20 inch transom and Roberta's 15" turned out wonderfully. I hope I can create something as nice as either of those....even if I come close, I will be more than pleased!

Roberta

Post by Roberta » Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:04 am

Thanks for the compliment. Either way it will be nice. It is easier to find a 20" shaft motor and you can always plan for either way and trim the transom down.

Roberta :D :D :D :D :D

sawford11

Post by sawford11 » Sun Oct 30, 2011 1:22 pm

Spent some time this weekend transferring plans and cutting out frame members. Took more time that I anticipated...but had to take some breaks for carving pumpkins w/ the kids!
Attachments
lots of scrap....good kindling for the wood burner though
lots of scrap....good kindling for the wood burner though
frames and beginning of transom

upspirate

Post by upspirate » Sun Oct 30, 2011 1:26 pm

Don't remember what you are using for frame wood, but if you save the scraps, they may come in handy later for small blocking,making bung plugs, wood flour etc....all matching the wood you already have!!

Roberta

Post by Roberta » Sun Oct 30, 2011 4:53 pm

Look's Great!!!

Roberta :D :D :D :D

vupilot

Post by vupilot » Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:04 pm

Looks like you had a busy weekend. Nice work

sawford11

Post by sawford11 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:01 am

It's been about a week since my last post. Not too much progress to show, but I have spent some 'on and off' time this past week sanding all the frame members, cutting out the gussets and working a little on the transom. The photos don't show much progress, but once I finish the transom and finish fastening the frames, I guess I will need to make the building form.
Attachments
One frame epoxied, and just waiting for it to cure.  I will then add the mechanical fasteners...
One frame epoxied, and just waiting for it to cure. I will then add the mechanical fasteners...
gussets, gussets, gussets
gussets, gussets, gussets
partial transom...
partial transom...

vupilot

Post by vupilot » Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:50 am

One thing I noticed, dont forget to cut out that chine notch in the bottom corner of the transom frame and the other notches too before you permanently attach the frame to the plywood. I forgot to do that and it took me 10 times as long to cut out with it attached to the plywood since the plywood doesnt get notched, just the frame. Hope its not already glued.

sawford11

Post by sawford11 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:18 am

Thanks vupilot....A few weeks ago I did read on the forum about someone doing exactly what you explained (I think it may have been your build). My frame member is only attached with 4 screws right now. Just wanted to line everything up and do some finish sanding. Once I get all the transom frame members 'dry fit' I will epoxy coat them all, wait for cure, then epoxy them together. That being said, I sure am glad this forum is here. They say that "Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." That sure can be true, but being able to read about everyone else's experience sure does help.

If at any point anyone sees something that looks wrong, please feel free to call me on it. This is a first time for me so I am sure I will make mistakes! Thanks all,

sawford11

Post by sawford11 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:11 am

Just wondering if there is anything special about the connection of the transom knee to the transom. If I understand, the connection is epoxy along with a carriage bolt connection through the knee, the motorboard and the transom? I should countersink the carriage bolt head in the transom, and drill carefully through the other members? Thanks!

Return to “Small outboards”